News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Does Caltrans use recycled material for their Big Green Signs?

Started by ColossalBlocks, March 23, 2017, 10:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

From what I've seen, It looks as Caltrans uses recycled materials for their Big Green Signs, is this true at all?
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Max Rockatansky

What do you mean by "big green signs?"   That can be taken to mean either the green state route shields or even the guide signs.  I would imagine of a lot of highway signage in general is probably produced from recycled scrap metal in general.  Are you talking about a DOT doing stuff like using old stop signs to make shields out of?

bing101

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

compdude787

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2017, 12:26:38 PM
What do you mean by "big green signs?"

That's what BGS stands for.

Max Rockatansky

^^^^

Yeah I got that, the OP tends to use unfamiliar terminology though since he's relatively new.  He could have in theory meant Spade Shields which are also green.  Thought some clarification was in order. 

In regards to the two BGSs he linked over at least of the has button copy that I can see from phone.  They irregular coloring might be from older baked enamel paint rather than a newer vinyl design.  Those types of BGS along with button copy are very common especially in the Central Valley.  It is still somewhat common to find shields that were produced in that manner, usually they stand out because numerals are actual vinyl and yellowed out. 

roadfro

The two signs linked appear to be really old button copy signage. Nothing recycled, but rather it's been in place for quite some time...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.