News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

6th Street Bridge Los Angeles

Started by bing101, October 23, 2015, 10:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-sixth-street-bridge-20150601-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-beat-ode-to-bridge-20150918-story.html

This Bridge will be replaced by a newer structure estimated to open in 2018

http://abc7.com/news/las-iconic-6th-street-bridge-to-get-farewell-party-oct-24/1046800/

MOD EDIT 9/8/22: Removed "to be demolished" from end of thread title, since the bridge has been replaced and the thread is still active. –Roadfro

kkt

I like the looks of the new bridge, I hope it's practical as well.

Henry

While I'll be sad to see the old bridge go, I'm looking forward to seeing the new one when it's completed three years from now.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mrsman

The 6th Street bridge is definitely a classic and will be missed.  But many of the other bridges over the L.A. river have a similar look.

andy3175

LA magazine article - 6th St Bridge demolition will occur in February (was originally reported to be this Friday 1/8/2015, but February is the current intended demolition timeframe):

http://www.lamag.com/driver/sixth-street-bridge-meets-its-maker-on-friday/

QuoteOld Sixth Street Bridge Will Meet Its Maker Sometime in February–Maybe

The 1932 span is set to kick the bucket next month, but its replacement is a thing of beauty
January 6, 2016 Neal Broverman

Correction: January 7, 12:11 p.m.
According to one city official at the Department of Public Works, previous documents stating the Sixth Street Bridge's demolition would take place on January 8 are incorrect. The city anticipates the bridge will close sometime in February, although a major rain event related to El Niño could push the date back even further.

The historic Sixth Street Viaduct–a 3,500 foot-long bridge that connects the Arts District with Boyle Heights–is now closed to vehicles, bikes, and pedestrians. If all goes as planned, crews will begin demolishing the bridge on Friday to make way for a flashy $449 million replacement–the largest bridge project in the history of Los Angeles.

The old bridge began to deteriorate just two decades after it was built in 1932; a chemical reaction known as alkali-silica reaction caused significant deterioration, and a 2004 study found it's susceptible to collapse during an earthquake.

Everyone's a little bummed about the closing of the viaduct, which figured prominently in many films and TV shows. (A book and video documentary are being made on the old incarnation.) Thankfully, architect Michael Maltzan has designed a gorgeous replacement, which features giant, accessible, undulating ribbons that reach to the sky. There will be wide sidewalks and bike lanes, as well as improved access for cars (Caltrans is currently working on improving numerous intersections near the bridge).
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

kendancy66

Quote from: andy3175 on January 08, 2016, 12:39:47 AM
LA magazine article - 6th St Bridge demolition will occur in February (was originally reported to be this Friday 1/8/2015, but February is the current intended demolition timeframe):

http://www.lamag.com/driver/sixth-street-bridge-meets-its-maker-on-friday/

QuoteOld Sixth Street Bridge Will Meet Its Maker Sometime in February–Maybe

The 1932 span is set to kick the bucket next month, but its replacement is a thing of beauty
January 6, 2016 Neal Broverman

Correction: January 7, 12:11 p.m.
According to one city official at the Department of Public Works, previous documents stating the Sixth Street Bridge's demolition would take place on January 8 are incorrect. The city anticipates the bridge will close sometime in February, although a major rain event related to El Niño could push the date back even further.

The historic Sixth Street Viaduct–a 3,500 foot-long bridge that connects the Arts District with Boyle Heights–is now closed to vehicles, bikes, and pedestrians. If all goes as planned, crews will begin demolishing the bridge on Friday to make way for a flashy $449 million replacement–the largest bridge project in the history of Los Angeles.

The old bridge began to deteriorate just two decades after it was built in 1932; a chemical reaction known as alkali-silica reaction caused significant deterioration, and a 2004 study found it's susceptible to collapse during an earthquake.

Everyone's a little bummed about the closing of the viaduct, which figured prominently in many films and TV shows. (A book and video documentary are being made on the old incarnation.) Thankfully, architect Michael Maltzan has designed a gorgeous replacement, which features giant, accessible, undulating ribbons that reach to the sky. There will be wide sidewalks and bike lanes, as well as improved access for cars (Caltrans is currently working on improving numerous intersections near the bridge).
It is not closed yet.  I had not driven across this bridge yet, so I drove down there tonight (1-9-16).  It seemed like I was the only one on the bridge though.

andy3175

The 6th St bridge is now closed (as of Wed Jan 27), and the demolition dates are set for Fri Feb 5 through Sun Feb 7, with a 40-hour closure of US 101 below it during that weekend.

http://www.sixthstreetviaduct.org/

Quote40-HOUR FULL CLOSURE OF 101 FREEWAY
Demolition of Sixth Street Viaduct Over Freeway

Friday, February 5, 2016 at 10:00 p.m. and ending on Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 2:00 p.m.

Final Closure of Sixth Street Viaduct for Demolition on Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The City of Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering has announced that US Rte 101 will be closed for 40 hours to enable safe demolition of a section of the Sixth Street Viaduct, located over the freeway. The viaduct will be closed to all traffic by end of January as part of the $445 million Sixth Street Viaduct Replacement Project.

WORK DESCRIPTION
-    Demolition of the Sixth Street Viaduct will begin on the east side of the LA River, over US Rte 101
-    For safety reasons, the freeway will be closed to thru traffic for 40 hours to facilitate demolition overhead.

Traffic detours will be as follows:

When traveling N/B 5 from the Orange County area approaching the 5/10/101 Interchange:
-    Exit to N/B 101 closed
-    Exit to W/B 10 open
-    Exit to N/B 5 open
Primary Detour: N/B 710 to W/B 10
Secondary Detour: W/B 10 to N/B 110

When traveling W/B 60 from the Pomona area approaching 5/10/101 Interchange:
-    Exit to N/B 101 closed
-    Exit to W/B 10 open
-    Exit to N/B 5 open
Primary Detour: N/B 710 to W/B 10
Secondary Detour: W/B 10 to N/B 110

When traveling S/B 101 from the San Fernando Valley area approaching the 10/101 Split:
-    Exit to S/B 101 closed
-    E/B 10 open
Primary Detour: S/B 110 to E/B 10
Secondary Detour: E/B 10 to S/B 710

101 Freeway On-Ramp closures will be as follows:
NB 6th Street/ Whittier Blvd on-ramp CLOSED
NB Euclid Street on-ramp CLOSED
NB Soto Street to 101 Freeway CLOSED
SB Commercial Street on-ramp CLOSED
SB Mission Street on-ramp CLOSED
SB 4th Street on-ramp CLOSED

The construction team is led by Skanska Stacy and Witbeck.
The project HOTLINE number is 213-400-8398.
For more detailed information on the closure, please go to www.sixthstreetviaduct.org
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ARMOURERERIC

Now, if only the grounds under the bridge actually looked like that

andy3175

US 101 closed part of Saturday 2/6 and Sunday 2/7 this weekend due to 6th Street Bridge removal (called the 101 Slow Jam):

"˜101 Slow Jam': Downtown Freeway Closure, 6th Street Bridge Demolition Continue in L.A.
http://ktla.com/2016/02/06/101-slow-jam-downtown-freeway-closure-gets-underway-in-l-a/

QuoteThe demolition of the Sixth Street Bridge in downtown Los Angeles, and a commensurate shutdown of a section of the 101 Freeway, was proceeding "on schedule"  Saturday morning, officials said.

Dubbed the "101 Slow Jam,"  the planned 40-hour undertaking got underway at 10 p.m. Friday when the 2.5-stretch of the freeway was closed in both directions. All lanes are expected to be reopened by 2 p.m. Sunday – about ninety minutes before the kickoff of Super Bowl 50 – according to a timeline posted on the project's official website.

The demolition of the iconic bridge – which has been featured in several notable films, television series and commercials– began on the east side of the Los Angeles River, directly over part of the 101. ...

The 84-year-old viaduct was officially closed to traffic last week. It is expected to be replaced by a new bridge whose completion date was set as late-2019.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

OK, and you can watch LA Mayor Eric Garcetti's music video about the 101 Slow Jam:
http://laist.com/2016/02/05/101_slooooow_jaaaaaaam.php

QuoteMayor Eric "Silver Fox" Garcetti–that is possibly a nickname we gave him–teamed up with students at Roosevelt High School in Boyle Heights to actually make a "101 Slow Jam" music video in light of this momentous and frustrating occasion. In the video, Garcetti smoothly explains the road closures over some silky sax and soulful backup vocals.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

c172

I was just up in L.A. for a conference (from San Diego) at the conventioncenter. I used the 110, which was a possibly overflow route, IIRC, but traffic this morning was very, very smooth. I was cabbing from the Marriott LA Live to Union Station. The cabbie did note an exit that we should have gotten off at that was closed without him knowing, but I don't recall it relating to the 101 freeway. I think we just took the long way around County-USC (sorry, not familiar with LA City).

I'm sorry to see the bridge go. History is fun. But safety first!

andy3175

The 101 slow jam wrapped up ahead of schedule last weekend (Sunday 2/7/2016), and bridge demolition continued in earnest:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/101-Freeway-to-Reopen-Ahead-of-Schedule-367967911.html

QuoteA 2.5-mile stretch of the 101 Freeway that was shut down to accommodate demolition of the Sixth Street Bridge reopened ahead of schedule on Sunday morning.

The closure near downtown Los Angeles, also known as the "101 Slow Jam,'' began at 10 p.m. Friday and was scheduled to end at 2 p.m. Sunday, but officials said the work appeared to be moving faster than expected. Lanes in both directions were reopened as of 10:15 a.m.

A 220-foot section of the deteriorating 84-year-old bridge was removed during the closure. Heavy construction equipment was deployed late Friday, bringing a symphony of jack-hammering and the sound of crumbling concrete to the site east of downtown Los Angeles. The bridge deck was demolished by Saturday morning.

One arch from the old bridge, built in 1932 and considered an important engineering achievement at the time, will be preserved during demolition and used in a community space that will be built underneath the bridge.

The Atlantic had an article on 2/9/2016 about the Sixth Street Bridge: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/02/exit-las-most-cinematic-bridge/461910/

QuoteIf you want to film a car chase in Los Angeles, here's the playbook. Head downtown. If you're coming from the west, exit the I-10 freeway at Grand Avenue. Then turn north, maybe on Alameda, where you'll speed past warehouses and fast-food spots and strip joints. When you get to Sixth Street, maneuver around to Santa Fe Avenue, named after the old railroad line. At this point, Sixth Street is now elevated, running above you. As soon as you're in the shadows of the overhanging structure, make a hard left. Suddenly, you're in a long, unlit tunnel. The only daylight comes out of a rectangular opening a few hundred yards ahead of you. Hit the gas (everybody does) and when you burst into the light, pull the wheel hard to the left and head north.

What you've just done is illegal–you need a permit–but you've arrived, and you know this spot. You're underneath the Sixth Street Viaduct, the most iconic and most beautiful (at least according to general consensus) of the 13 pre-World War II spans that traverse the city's eponymous river, separating downtown from East Los Angeles. You might recognize it from the 1978 film Grease, where it was the site of John Travolta's climactic drag race. Or, in digitized form, from Grand Theft Auto, the video game that seeks to train junior carjackers and flesh traders. Or from Them, the 1954 classic of paranoid science fiction, featuring giant irradiated ants that crawled from the very tunnel you just exited. Or from dozens upon dozens of music videos, from Kanye West to Madonna to Kid Rock. ...

Each of the 10 bridges that cross the L.A. River in downtown Los Angeles is unique. Built through the 1920s and the early 1930s, they remain the most visible and lovely expression of the then-chief city engineer Merrill Butler's belief in the "City Beautiful"  movement: the late 19th/early 20th-century design philosophy that, as William H. Wilson wrote in his 1994 book about the phenomenon, saw "Americans attempt to refashion their cities into beautiful, functional entities. That effort involved a culture agenda, a middle-class environmentalism, and aesthetics expressed as beauty, order, system, and harmony."

Butler wanted each bridge to have a theme or aesthetic that represented the city and his design philosophy. His Macy Street Bridge (the street is now called Cesar Chavez Avenue, but the bridge retains its original designation) runs along the old Camino Real, the route used by Spanish conquistadors and missionaries as they explored California in the 17th century, and includes baroque-inspired spiral columns and the city seal of Los Angeles. Further south, the Olympic Avenue Bridge features balusters separated by round forms emblazoned with an acanthus leaf pattern, mimicking a design common in the Greek and Roman eras.

The Sixth Street Viaduct's aesthetic is more modern–or at least, modern to 1932, when it was built. The lines are mostly art deco. Louis Huot, the architect who designed it, said: "The viaduct is conformable to the automobile which it carries across the chasm."  In other words, it wasn't just a bridge over a river; it was a bridge between eras, ushering in Los Angeles's dedication to the automobile. Over time, the span also served as a cultural connector, acting as a gateway between downtown and points west to the Latino communities of East L.A., Boyle Heights, and beyond.

At the same time, the Sixth Street Viaduct has proven to be as dysfunctional as it is beautiful. Since the span was so large, a shortcut was taken: water from beneath the bridge–that's most likely why the access tunnel now familiar to filmmakers was built–was used to mix the structure's concrete. The result was a building material with a high alkali content; that led to an alkali-silica reaction that cracked and crumbled the bridge's undercarriage. Over the years, the bridge was patched, often with heavy, metal plates, which further weighed the span down. By the early 2000s, the California Department of Transportation had estimated that the viaduct had a 70 percent chance of collapsing during the next major earthquake.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: c172 on February 08, 2016, 01:50:56 AM
I was just up in L.A. for a conference (from San Diego) at the conventioncenter. I used the 110, which was a possibly overflow route, IIRC, but traffic this morning was very, very smooth. I was cabbing from the Marriott LA Live to Union Station. The cabbie did note an exit that we should have gotten off at that was closed without him knowing, but I don't recall it relating to the 101 freeway. I think we just took the long way around County-USC (sorry, not familiar with LA City).

I'm sorry to see the bridge go. History is fun. But safety first!

From LA Live to Union Station via County-USC unfortunately means the cabbie took you much further east than you needed to go and then looped back.  That entire trip can be done much faster and more direct via Figueroa St. or the 110 freeway and then cutting east across Temple or Sunset.  It'd be like a San Diego cabbie taking you from the convention center to the airport by taking the 163 to the 8 to the 5.

coatimundi

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 15, 2016, 04:39:46 PM
From LA Live to Union Station via County-USC unfortunately means the cabbie took you much further east than you needed to go and then looped back.  That entire trip can be done much faster and more direct via Figueroa St. or the 110 freeway and then cutting east across Temple or Sunset.  It'd be like a San Diego cabbie taking you from the convention center to the airport by taking the 163 to the 8 to the 5.

Oh no, I hope that's not an inadvertent beginning of an Angeleno "How do you get there" discussion. You should go file your taxes, come back in 3 business days, and they'll have three different options for you, depending on weather, time of day, and whether or not the Lakers are in town that night.  :-D

Could a portion of the bridge have been saved? Like, destroy just the part over the 101 that would have killed people in an earthquake, but keep open the remainder? I can only imagine it would be valuable to production companies to have a permanently closed bridge scene that they could use.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: coatimundi on February 15, 2016, 06:14:27 PM
Could a portion of the bridge have been saved? Like, destroy just the part over the 101 that would have killed people in an earthquake, but keep open the remainder? I can only imagine it would be valuable to production companies to have a permanently closed bridge scene that they could use.

The entire bridge is being replaced.  They would have had to reroute the new bridge in order to keep any of the old bridge standing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.