News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What NOT to eat on a road trip

Started by hbelkins, January 14, 2014, 11:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

realjd

Quote from: Brandon on January 14, 2014, 04:43:01 PM
Quote from: renegade on January 14, 2014, 04:16:59 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on January 14, 2014, 12:58:56 PM
... Basically anything that makes you shit.
The only food I can count on to not do that is Subway; therefore, that's the only thing I can eat when on a roadtrip.
I will eat other stuff in the evening when I'm headed to the hotel.

False.  I ate once at a Subway in Gaylord Michigan.  After resuming my trip north on I-75, the ole bowels started rumblin'.  We were more than a few miles from the next rest area. ("Please, Jesus ... just ten more miles!").  :wow:  It was a long time before I ate at Subway again.

Sounds like my experience with Panda Express.

I love me some Panda Express. It's the best Americanized fake Chinese food on the market.

vdeane

DiCastro's skillet macaroni and cheese

Let's just say, it has a reputation at the company I worked for.  It also lubricates your arteries.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Jardine

Sigh.

Some of us are old enough to remember seeing the B-52s perform Rock Lobster on SNL, way too many years ago.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Brian556 on January 14, 2014, 12:58:56 PM
Basically anything that makes you shit.
So don't eat anything on a road trip. Or eat things you can't digest, then throw up.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

texaskdog

Anything in Norman, OK when you're wearing Texas Longhorn gear

Jardine

kurumi

"It's like there's a party in my mouth, and everybody's throwing up!"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman

One of my favorite road trip breakfasts is having one or two McDonalds sausage biscuits.  Usually easy to eat while driving, and not terribly messy.  Provided, of course, they don't serve you one that's been under the heat lamp for awhile.

I learned that lesson the hard way one morning on the Indiana Toll Road.  Got to the Mickey's at a service plaza about 9:55 (just before they stopped serving breakfast), got my biscuits and proceeded on my way.  Took a bite into one biscuit, and the entire thing blew apart in a big "POOF".  Pulled over at the next service plaza and cleaned out my car as best I could.  However, I was still finding parts of (now long stale) biscuit wedged into various nooks and crannies of the car (my 1988 Prelude) when I removed my radio gear prior to trading the car in years ago.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

For obvious reasons, a Sloppy-Joe.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on January 15, 2014, 10:30:00 AM

I know people who have done this and nobody really gives a shit. At least, not on the west side. Might be different closer in to campus or when alcohol is involved.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

meh.  I suppose we're getting closer to a post-racial society when we have to worry about getting harassed over what color our clothes are.

fuck football.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 15, 2014, 05:11:00 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 15, 2014, 10:30:00 AM

I know people who have done this and nobody really gives a shit. At least, not on the west side. Might be different closer in to campus or when alcohol is involved.
I don't have any Texas Longhorns clothes (don't really care about football), but I have a shirt that is in their colors, and the only time I've as much as gotten a comment about it was a joke about it from another graduate student.

Alps

My rule for what not to eat is, chain food.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Steve on January 15, 2014, 09:43:30 PM

Cats eat cat food.
Dogs eat dog food.
Do chains eat chain food?

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on January 15, 2014, 09:46:10 PM

Cats eat cat food.
Dogs eat dog food.

Do souls eat soul food?

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve on January 15, 2014, 09:53:15 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 15, 2014, 09:46:10 PM

Cats eat cat food.
Dogs eat dog food.

Do souls eat soul food?
If one believes that everyone has a soul (or is considered to be a soul), then yes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

We have a dog who loves to eat cat food and cats who like dog food. I think they have some species identity crises going on.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: roadman on January 15, 2014, 12:52:00 PM
One of my favorite road trip breakfasts is having one or two McDonalds sausage biscuits.  Usually easy to eat while driving, and not terribly messy.  Provided, of course, they don't serve you one that's been under the heat lamp for awhile.

I learned that lesson the hard way one morning on the Indiana Toll Road.  Got to the Mickey's at a service plaza about 9:55 (just before they stopped serving breakfast), got my biscuits and proceeded on my way.  Took a bite into one biscuit, and the entire thing blew apart in a big "POOF".  Pulled over at the next service plaza and cleaned out my car as best I could.  However, I was still finding parts of (now long stale) biscuit wedged into various nooks and crannies of the car (my 1988 Prelude) when I removed my radio gear prior to trading the car in years ago.
How do McDonalds sausage biscuits become explosive under heat lamps? I could see dry or cold, but not chemically unstable.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

english si

the air bubbles in the middle of the biscuit heating up under the lamp and expanding - roadman basically popping the balloon when taking a bite?

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

Quote from hbelkins:
QuoteWe have a dog who loves to eat cat food and cats who like dog food. I think they have some species identity crises going on.

When I was younger, a friend's dogs love eating cat feces from the litterbox.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.