News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Automatic Dialers and Telemarketers

Started by roadman65, June 11, 2014, 11:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

TV news (Fox News is the biggest culprit) is full of negative stories designed to make the viewer uncomfortable, angry, and frightened.  It's basically propaganda.  I avoid watching the news.  My life is hard enough without thinking about all the bad stuff that happens around the world every day.

J N Winkler

I think there is a distinction to be made between network and cable TV news.  Network news is basically the televisual equivalent of a newspaper of record, while cable news is scandal-focused and sensationalistic.

Personally, I hardly ever watch the TV news, though I receive a considerable amount of passive exposure through TVs in public places such as the locker room at the gym.  It generally doesn't disturb or agitate me even with captions, but I just don't like sitting still for the news clips to be shown in the network's chosen order, so I prefer to get my news from online sources like Slate or the Washington Post.

Returning to the OP:  I despise telemarketing and I am very sympathetic to the ideas that autodialers should be banned and that do-not-call registries should be extended to all forms of unsolicited communications, including political calls.  However, at this stage I feel we have moved as far toward these goals as is practically possible without taking on compromises that would be hard to live with, such as significant restrictions on our ability to use the Internet and the public switched telephone network anonymously.

In regard to telemarketing as a job of last resort, I support unemployment stipends for people who would otherwise have to become telemarketers.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

english si

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 15, 2014, 02:28:19 PM
I think there is a distinction to be made between network and cable TV news.  Network news is basically the televisual equivalent of a newspaper of record, while cable news is scandal-focused and sensationalistic.
In British dead tree media terms:
Network news = broadsheet newspaper
Cable news = tabloid newspaper

sounds about right!

formulanone

About the only time I listen to the news is when I overhear it during the hotel's continental breakfast. Even then, one of the outlets was mentioning the twentieth anniversary of OJ Simpson, which was the first nail driven into typically respectable news media's coffin. It blazed the way for sensationalizing every little so-called controversy.

In this day and age, can't they just get folks to tweet or respond to an opinion online? Make it participatory, rather than bothersome. There's a lot of people with no opinion, don't care, or have no time to make an informed answer.

roadman65

Well I just got two telemarketers that called me today.  One would not state the name of the business she represented and the other was straight forward.

The first call  I had to answer because I have submitted my resumes lately for better employment, so a few prospects have called me up.  Therefore I have to know for sure who the person is calling me before I hang up, however this one would not tell me who was calling unless I assured them that I was myself.  I kept asking who was calling and the girl gave me her name only and not the company she was calling from which is not only rude, but unproffessional as well!  In any business call you are to identify yourself and in any manner you never ask for a person without saying who you are.  That person calling should know that I do not know her and I could very well be me she was calling from. 

I think that call was from Capital One, who I have a credit card with, as their computer and automatic dialer is so messed up, as I pay them the desired minimum as required and they have their agents still ask me where their money is on numerous occasions.  Then even when I get ahead, their system still is days or months behind.  Plus you cannot negotiate with them either.  If you are unemployed and want to lower your monthly minimum, forget it they will not flex themselves for you and after you terminate your call with a live agent amicably within an hour another agent calls you asking when are you going to pay even though you just talked with someone about it.   And YES, they call before 9 AM and on Sundays even!

The last call I just got was from a real estate agent, trying to appraise my house.  Although, we are looking to sell and move to another dwelling, I still said not interested because I do not know who this agent is and I would rather make my own judgement of who I should contact when I am ready.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hm insulators

The other day, I had this lady (scammer) call and ask me, "Are you the owner of your computer?"

I replied, "No, my dog is the owner." (I don't even have a pet of any sort, unless you count the ceramic kitten I have next to the computer desk.)

Click! She hung up!

I might have something here...make them want to hang up on you!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

1995hoo

We have a Digitone call blocker. It automatically blocks calls from 800 (and other similar) numbers, from people who block their caller ID info, and from people whose numbers don't display any caller ID info. You can then block any other number you like, or you can block whole area codes. Or you can pre-emptively block everyone except people you designate (I don't do that for a lot of reasons). I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize and, if there's no message, I look up the number with a Google search. Usually that will return a result from 800notes.com giving me ample info, and usually I find the number belongs to a garbage caller and I block it. The device works great–the only thing in the house that rings when a blocked number calls is the fax machine (because it's connected to a splitter box in advance of the call blocker). I don't mind that one ring because it confirms the device is doing its job.

The thing isn't perfect, of course. Scammers know about these types of devices and they change their spoof numbers constantly to get around them. But it's amazing how many numbers it does block. On a more humbling note, it also makes you realize how few real calls you get!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 24, 2014, 10:13:32 PM
We have a Digitone call blocker. It automatically blocks calls from 800 (and other similar) numbers, from people who block their caller ID info, and from people whose numbers don't display any caller ID info. You can then block any other number you like, or you can block whole area codes. Or you can pre-emptively block everyone except people you designate (I don't do that for a lot of reasons). I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize and, if there's no message, I look up the number with a Google search. Usually that will return a result from 800notes.com giving me ample info, and usually I find the number belongs to a garbage caller and I block it. The device works great–the only thing in the house that rings when a blocked number calls is the fax machine (because it's connected to a splitter box in advance of the call blocker). I don't mind that one ring because it confirms the device is doing its job.

The thing isn't perfect, of course. Scammers know about these types of devices and they change their spoof numbers constantly to get around them. But it's amazing how many numbers it does block. On a more humbling note, it also makes you realize how few real calls you get!

I thought about doing that.  But what if it's a family member whose cell phone has died using a borrowed or pay phone?

I do have an automated blocker set up so that anyone calling has to dial the number the recording says before it rings on my end.  That cuts down on a lot of junk calls, and is the best $6 a month I ever spent.

thenetwork

I have gotten to the point to block the number for the pharmacy at the local grocery store.  When your prescription is filled, they robocall you at least twice a day to remind you until it's picked up. Either that or they robocall you once a day for each prescription that is ready.  Either way, I appreciate the friendliness of the voice, but it is overkill!

roadman65

Quote from: thenetwork on June 24, 2014, 11:59:02 PM
I have gotten to the point to block the number for the pharmacy at the local grocery store.  When your prescription is filled, they robocall you at least twice a day to remind you until it's picked up. Either that or they robocall you once a day for each prescription that is ready.  Either way, I appreciate the friendliness of the voice, but it is overkill!
The worst is Optum Rx.  They do not even tell you the prescription you have being mailed out, but a long 10 digit prescription number that nobody, unless you have a photographic memory, will remember the actual number.  Plus you do not place the prescription on autofill, so how could you know the number anyhow.

I think robo calls and autodialers need to go as I stated in the OP, but I think we have a better chance of having total world peace before that ever happens.  These companies have lobbyists get their crap legalized as we the consumers have no one to tell congress "Hell no, we do not want telemarketers and the like" so we have no choice but to be harassed because of this. 

One thing is I agree with you on the pharmacy as Walgreens also is one to keep bothering you until you pick the prescription up as well.  I cannot tell you how many times in one day their system will call you and yes leave a voice mail if you are not home!

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

Quote from: thenetwork on June 24, 2014, 11:59:02 PM

I only get the initial call then another call 3-4 days later.  It really isn't a problem and this month saved me because I forgot about the first call.

1995hoo

Quote from: kkt on June 24, 2014, 11:33:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 24, 2014, 10:13:32 PM

I thought about doing that.  But what if it's a family member whose cell phone has died using a borrowed or pay phone?

I do have an automated blocker set up so that anyone calling has to dial the number the recording says before it rings on my end.  That cuts down on a lot of junk calls, and is the best $6 a month I ever spent.

That's one reason why I didn't pre-emptively block all numbers except those I invite. I figure if a family member is calling from an unfamiliar phone, that person will leave a message when either the answering machine or voicemail picks up. I'll then call the person back or, if I hear the message being left, I'll pick up. If the caller doesn't bother to leave a message, then from my point of view it wasn't an important call. If I can't find information about the number using 800notes.com or the like, then I won't immediately block it because I'll figure it was a wrong number or the like. But if I get repeated hang-up calls from the same number, I will block it.

A family member will also usually try one of our mobile phones if we don't answer at home and the call is important. Sometimes that's annoying–my brother-in-law in Florida will call our home phone, leave a message, and then immediately try my wife's mobile and get confused if he still can't reach us (apparently, some people don't understand that there are places where one does not answer a mobile phone, nor even have the ringer turned on).

What is the blocker you have? It sounds like an interesting idea.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

apparently, some most people don't understand that there are places where one does not answer a mobile phone, nor even have the ringer turned on

Fixed it for you.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

Call the Guinness Book of Records, I today alone just received 5 soliciting phone calls!  In fact one dude sounded so scripted I thought it was an automated voice machine until he started saying "Hello.....Hello" after I did not respond to his pitch. 

I had the disabled Veterans call.  I even had TruGreen lawn care call who we dumped a while back I guess trying to recapture our business again, a company called PTO Marketing, and two others this afternoon alone disturb me.  It was amazing and mostly annoying.  The TruGreen guy set himself up for a refusal from me automatic when I told him how I know longer used his company and he responded "That is why we're calling today" which led me to say "Then you have not gotten the message yet" right before I disconnected the call.

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

I use my answering machine to screen my calls.

If within the first ten seconds it sounds like a robocall I walk away from the phone.

Makes life so much easier (and having dealt with a few folks on my landline for business purposes, when I explain to them that I screen my calls the majority of them are very understanding and agreeable about it).
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.