19 (51.4%)
Cities
9 (24.3%)
Neither
9 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 17, 2014, 01:19:43 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 17, 2014, 10:43:08 AMDidn't the Baby Boomers (particularly the younger ones) also move to urban areas when they were younger and single? You certainly didn't see a lot of single people living in suburbia in the 1980s. But of course people grew up, had kids and moved to the suburbs. It just seems like the current generation is repeating what the Boomers did and everyone is reacting quickly to call it some kind of new trend. Give it 20 years and my generation will be in suburbia too.
Bingo! Somebody finally brings up this point! 

Some of my younger co-workers that currently live in the city (Philadelphia) have already stated that they will likely move to the suburbs once they start having kids.

Not every city experienced this influx of baby boomers -- Tacoma has only in the last 5 to 10 years become a nice city. Back in the 80s, the only reason you lived here was because you were a drug-lord.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jake on July 17, 2014, 01:26:56 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 17, 2014, 10:43:08 AMDidn't the Baby Boomers (particularly the younger ones) also move to urban areas when they were younger and single? You certainly didn't see a lot of single people living in suburbia in the 1980s. But of course people grew up, had kids and moved to the suburbs. It just seems like the current generation is repeating what the Boomers did and everyone is reacting quickly to call it some kind of new trend. Give it 20 years and my generation will be in suburbia too.

Some of my younger co-workers that currently live in the city (Philadelphia) have already stated that they will likely move to the suburbs once they start having kids.

Not every city experienced this influx of baby boomers -- Tacoma has only in the last 5 to 10 years become a nice city. Back in the 80s, the only reason you lived here was because you were a drug-lord.

Yeah, but it doesn't negate the original point. Gen Y is moving to cities where amenities are, just as the Boomers did. When Gen Y has kids and settles down, they'll move to the suburbs just as the Boomers did. The names of cities and locales may have changed, but the trend remains the same.

It's more likely that my generation is fanning out to a wider variety of cities. Whereas a Boomer may have gone to Seattle, their off-spring is now going to Tacoma or whereas a Boomer may have gone to Boston, their off-spring is now going to Providence. What we need to watch for is suburban growth around current youth hotspots. I guarantee that it'll start booming in 10-15 years.

Mr_Northside

I have some friends that now have kids that are pondering such a move.  Though they still would prefer to live in the city over suburban living, it's really all about just 1 thing: school districts.  Of note, the ones with kids old enough to now be in school actually are happy with the elementary schools here in Pittsburgh, but are trying to figure out what to do in a few years when it comes time for middle/high school.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jakeroot

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 17, 2014, 02:37:15 PM

Yeah, but it doesn't negate the original point. Gen Y is moving to cities where amenities are, just as the Boomers did. When Gen Y has kids and settles down, they'll move to the suburbs just as the Boomers did. The names of cities and locales may have changed, but the trend remains the same.

It's more likely that my generation is fanning out to a wider variety of cities. Whereas a Boomer may have gone to Seattle, their off-spring is now going to Tacoma or whereas a Boomer may have gone to Boston, their off-spring is now going to Providence. What we need to watch for is suburban growth around current youth hotspots. I guarantee that it'll start booming in 10-15 years.

It makes sense that people move to suburbs . . . usually, living in a city is more expensive. I would imagine most people desire city living, though.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jake on July 17, 2014, 06:51:24 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 17, 2014, 02:37:15 PM

It makes sense that people move to suburbs . . . usually, living in a city is more expensive. I would imagine most people desire city living, though.

Agreed

Therein lies the absurdity of the whole "SUBURBS ARE DYING" argument. People can desire a lot of things, but reality forces you to make a different decision. How many boomers wish they could still be living in their downtown apartment living a carefree life?

Suburban migration is caused by cost, better schools and even logistics. None of this is going to change any time soon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.