News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Casey Kasem dead at 82

Started by golden eagle, June 16, 2014, 01:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I am well deversified in music, although I cannot adapt to rap because it has no melody to it.  Casey did play anything that hit the billboard charts no matter what genre it was.

He is going to missed whether you love him or miss him.  And yes, he does have a good radio voice as many of today's on air talent do not!  Also, to say even when Shadoe Stevens replaced him in the 80s it was not the same either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

Quote from: roadman65 on June 18, 2014, 07:24:25 PM
I am well deversified in music, although I cannot adapt to rap because it has no melody to it.

Have you ever listened to Outkast?  Mos Def?  Talib Kweli?  Lots of rap has plenty of melody.  Not all of it is a rapper rapping over a beat.

roadman

Guess Casey finally ran out of that youth crème that Johnny gave him during that Police Squad! episode.  Seriously, he will indeed be missed.  I too grew up listening to Casey Kasem on Sunday mornings in the early to mid 1970s.  He was far more informative and entertaining than the local DJs on WRKO in Boston were (yes, WRKO was a pop music format for many years before they switched to talk radio).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bugo on June 18, 2014, 07:44:03 PM
I am well deversified in music, although I cannot adapt to rap because it has no melody to it.

Have you ever listened to Outkast?  Mos Def?  Talib Kweli?  Lots of rap has plenty of melody.  Not all of it is a rapper rapping over a beat.

See my comment above.  It's not like there are a lot of radio stations showing people who like country, for instance, that there's rap they might like.  DJs who pick their own stuff and go for a freeform show might accomplish this — such people have broadened my horizons tons — but that's primarily the domain of small independents in lucky markets.  There's much more money in feeding back to people what they already know.  Safe sells.

Quote from: roadman on June 18, 2014, 08:29:07 PM
Guess Casey finally ran out of that youth crème that Johnny gave him during that Police Squad! episode.

Wasn't that Dick Clark?

"Hey Johnny, what can you tell me about ska?"

"I ain't heard nuttin'"

"Will twenty bucks jog your memory?"

kurumi

Someone said that the golden age of pop/rock music is whenever the listener was 12 years old. (And for me, that's just about true.)

Also, "Your favorite band sucks" is a cliché on some other forums :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bugo

The golden age of music was when I was in my early '20s (Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Alice In Chains (with Layne, the current incarnation is a joke and a great disrespect towards the late Layne Staley), Tori Amos, Tricky, and many more great bands.  I graduated high school in 1992 which is the year Nirvana broke into the mainstream.  Before that happened, I listened to pop metal like Poison and Def Leppard as far as "heavier" acts like Metallica and Motley Crue.  I also loved Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, who I still love.  The kids in my grade and the grades older than me like the pop metal stuff.  The kids a grade behind me got behind the "alternative" music.  I was stuck in the middle, but I identified far more with the "alternative" rock sound.

bandit957

Casey Kasem was cool! So was Shadoe Stevens who replaced him.

I grew up listening to 'American Top 40' on WOKV and WKRQ.

I'd say the best music was probably around 1984.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bugo

Quote from: bandit957 on June 20, 2014, 01:03:33 AM
Casey Kasem was cool! So was Shadoe Stevens who replaced him.

I grew up listening to 'American Top 40' on WOKV and WKRQ.

I'd say the best music was probably around 1984.

Defenders of the Faith and Powerslave came out in 1984.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 18, 2014, 09:12:12 PM

Quote from: bugo on June 18, 2014, 07:44:03 PM

See my comment above.  It's not like there are a lot of radio stations showing people who like country, for instance, that there's rap they might like.  DJs who pick their own stuff and go for a freeform show might accomplish this — such people have broadened my horizons tons — but that's primarily the domain of small independents in lucky markets.  There's much more money in feeding back to people what they already know.  Safe sells.

Guess Casey finally ran out of that youth crème that Johnny gave him during that Police Squad! episode.

Wasn't that Dick Clark?

"Hey Johnny, what can you tell me about ska?"

"I ain't heard nuttin'"

"Will twenty bucks jog your memory?"

Now that I think about it, you're right, it was Dick Clark, not Casey Kasem.  Right comment, wrong person.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

iowahighways

Quote from: thenetwork on June 16, 2014, 11:49:42 PM
If you don't have the money or the patience to wait until the weekend to hear the AT40 reruns on Sirius/XM, iheartradio.com has a 24/7 AT40 Channel which goes back & forth between the 70s and the 80s (just put Casey Kasem in the search box).  It's about the only good thing iheartradio's owner, Clear Channel, has ever done for it's listeners,

The American Top 40 Fun and Games message board features lists of stations that carry the AT40 rebroadcasts from the 1970s and 1980s. KOKZ in Waterloo, which has a big signal that covers most of the northeast quarter of Iowa, is my go-to station for those -- but unless I'm driving through that part of the state when it's on, I usually catch them via webstream.

One of the appeals of those old AT40 episodes, in my mind, is hearing songs that charted in the top 40 at the time but you don't hear on the radio anymore.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Pete from Boston

Quote from: iowahighways on June 21, 2014, 10:11:17 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 16, 2014, 11:49:42 PM
If you don't have the money or the patience to wait until the weekend to hear the AT40 reruns on Sirius/XM, iheartradio.com has a 24/7 AT40 Channel which goes back & forth between the 70s and the 80s (just put Casey Kasem in the search box).  It's about the only good thing iheartradio's owner, Clear Channel, has ever done for it's listeners,

The American Top 40 Fun and Games message board features lists of stations that carry the AT40 rebroadcasts from the 1970s and 1980s. KOKZ in Waterloo, which has a big signal that covers most of the northeast quarter of Iowa, is my go-to station for those -- but unless I'm driving through that part of the state when it's on, I usually catch them via webstream.

One of the appeals of those old AT40 episodes, in my mind, is hearing songs that charted in the top 40 at the time but you don't hear on the radio anymore.

If you are interested in real music-geekery, the MIT radio station WMBR has a great show very early Saturday mornings (available for two weeks on the web) called 88 Rewound that plays a single station's top 20 or whatever for a particular week between the 50s and 80s.  Not only is it great nostalgia, but there's the interesting (and largely gone) phenomenon of regional variation in the hits.

golden eagle

A radio station here airs the 80s AT40 episodes. Yesterday, after the show, they played a two-hour tribute show hosted by his son Mike and daughter Kerri. Shadoe Stevens made an appearance as well. Also, Ryan Seacrest acknowledged Casey's passing at the beginning of AT40.

robbones

Here it is a month after his death, and he hasn't been laid to rest yet.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: robbones on July 16, 2014, 08:51:13 PM

"Our next hit's still sticking around after a month, and doesn't show any signs of stopping.  It features a dead DJ, a washed-up blonde actress, and a bitter family rounding out the lineup.  Coming in at number nineteen this week, it's the Casey Kasem Saga..."

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 16, 2014, 09:10:27 PM

Quote from: robbones on July 16, 2014, 08:51:13 PM

"Our next hit's still sticking around after a month, and doesn't show any signs of stopping.  It features a dead DJ, a washed-up blonde actress, and a bitter family rounding out the lineup.  Coming in at number nineteen this week, it's the Casey Kasem Saga..."

Whoa. I wouldn't be saying things like this if I were you. You may think it's a joke or whatnot, but to those who have known Mr. Kasem over the years, I don't think this kind of nonsense will endear you to the legion of Kasem-fanatics (yes, that's right, Kasem-fanatics: those who listened to him on the radio, or have listened to his voice of Shaggy in the Scooby-Doo sagas, that's what I am referring to).

Robbones does make a good point, however, we must remember that sometimes it takes a while to get the proper site mapped out, cut the stone to the family's liking, and when finished, place the stone where it had been marked. It took at least five to six months if my math serves me right for my uncle's burial to be complete. The family had to map out the site, commission a headstone designer, and hire people to place the stone where it had been marked. So, in the interim, do expect Casey's stone to be erected soon. How soon? None of us knows and quite frankly, it's up to the people putting this together and the Kasem family to find a date to properly burry Casey. That's my own take on it.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

SidS1045

I too grew up listening to Casey Kasem on Sunday mornings in the early to mid 1970s.  He was far more informative and entertaining than the local DJs on WRKO in Boston were (yes, WRKO was a pop music format for many years before they switched to talk radio).

...and was one of the places where Shadoe Stevens worked before becoming Casey's regular substitute.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

SidS1045

...and this story gets yet another twist.  His body is missing.

All Access (a broadcasting media online newsletter) reports that, despite a restraining order barring Jean Kasem from removing her late husband's body from the funeral home pending an autopsy, his children are alleging that she has removed his body, possibly to Canada.  The autopsy might have determined that she was culpable in his death.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/131587/report-casey-kasem-body-missing-despite-restrainin?ref=mail_bulletin
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.