News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NASA showcases big drop in air pollution over D.C., I-95 corridor since 2005

Started by cpzilliacus, June 26, 2014, 09:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: NASA showcases big drop in air pollution over D.C., I-95 corridor since 2005

QuoteNASA has released some encouraging images showing a marked decline in air pollution over much of the eastern U.S., including Washington, D.C. and the I-95 corridor since 2005.

QuoteThe images show the change in concentration of nitrogen dioxide, a pollutant linked to adverse effects on the respiratory system. NASA provides this helpful background information:

QuoteNitrogen dioxide is one of the six common pollutants regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to protect human health. Alone it can impact the respiratory system, but it also contributes to the formation of other pollutants including ground-level ozone and particulates, which also carry adverse health effects. The gas is produced primarily during the combustion of gasoline in vehicle engines and coal in power plants. It's also a good proxy for the presence of air pollution in general.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Desert Man

I wonder NASA did a similar air pollution study for the smog-laden Los Angeles Basin and Inland Empire regions in Southern CA. Locals claim the air has improved over the years, the cleanest air the regions had since the advent of factories during WW2. Once again, on some summer days, the mountains north of L.A. would be visible without wind pushing the smog northward or eastward.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mike D boy on July 03, 2014, 06:03:11 PM
I wonder NASA did a similar air pollution study for the smog-laden Los Angeles Basin and Inland Empire regions in Southern CA. Locals claim the air has improved over the years, the cleanest air the regions had since the advent of factories during WW2. Once again, on some summer days, the mountains north of L.A. would be visible without wind pushing the smog northward or eastward.

I wonder the same.

I can recall visiting Los Angeles in the 1970's and not being able to see the mountains north of town because of the smog from Palos Verdes. 

Unless it is raining, they are always visible now.

But pollution in the L.A. Basin is very much about vehicle emissions. 

Not nearly as much so in the East, where much of the pollution (SOX, NOX and PM) has come from coal-fired electric generating stations located in the Appalachian and Allegheny ranges, and in the Ohio River valley. The prevailing winds carry those pollutants east towards the Atlantic Ocean and the metropolitan areas located along or near the coast, especially Richmond, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

DTComposer

Images of other cities (including Los Angeles) here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/sets/72157645366137035/

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 04, 2014, 12:46:29 PM
I can recall visiting Los Angeles in the 1970's and not being able to see the mountains north of town because of the smog from Palos Verdes. 

Unless it is raining, they are always visible now.

My commute gives me a daily look north from Palos Verdes - the San Gabriel Mountains are visible about 2/3 of the time - always after a rain or during windy days, about half the time otherwise.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.