TX to have 1 window sticker for inspection and license plate/registration

Started by txstateends, June 28, 2014, 12:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

To my knowledge, neither DE nor FL does annual inspections either; although FL used to prior to the 1980s(?). 

My grandfather, who lived in Deltona from the mid-60s through 1976, told me how strict the FL safety inspection process used to be at the time.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Delaware does do inspections at least...I can't recall the exact terms, but it's either 4 years new then every 2 years, or 5/2.  They continue to do safety and emissions testing.

1995hoo

Going back to the original topic, the District of Columbia issues a windshield sticker that contains combined inspection/license plate validation/residential parking permit information.

Problem was, when they started issuing the new window stickers, DC's own law enforcement agencies started giving tickets to people who had the new window stickers. Why? They allegedly had "expired license plates" because the decals on the license plates showed an expiration date that had already passed. As a result, the District issued new decals to everyone with DC plates that say "SEE WINDOW STICKER." They go on the corners of both the front and back plates where the stickers showing month and year of expiry used to go.

While I don't live in DC and wasn't affected, that sort of thing really raises my ire. It comes across as a giant middle-finger gesture from the DC government to its citizens to issue a new style of sticker and then give tickets to the people who followed the new law and used those stickers (not that they had any choice but to use them!). Even if the tickets were eventually dismissed (a non-trivial matter in DC), it's not right to put their citizens through the hassle of having to appeal the tickets and deal with DC's bureaucracy. The other thing is, it's hardly unique or rare for DC's law enforcement to issue improper tickets. It happens constantly. One of the local radio stations (WTOP) even has a "Ticketbuster" segment in which they help people who can't get satisfaction through the appeals process. The main thing that comes across in their reports is the overwhelming arrogance of the personnel who handle the appeals, even when it's indisputable that a ticket was wrongly issued.

(A slightly similar issue used to arise in some jurisdictions in Virginia. Almost all cities and counties used to issue the odious "county sticker"–essentially, when you paid your car tax you also had to buy a windshield sticker, for a separate fee, to prove you paid it. There was ONE city, I think Virginia Beach, that didn't issue them. Virginia Beach residents kept getting tickets in other Virginia jurisdictions, most notably Charlottesville, for "failing to display a county sticker." I recall a quotation from the Charlottesville city sheriff saying, essentially, he didn't care because it wasn't his problem to determine who was a Virginia Beach resident and who was a violator. Nowadays many counties and cities have stopped issuing those stupid things, although some still do, and the problem has gone away because it's common to see Virginia cars without a county sticker.)

I hope Texas does a better job of communicating with law enforcement personnel in all jurisdictions throughout the state!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: Brandon on June 28, 2014, 11:30:39 AMWe don't have any inspections in Illinois either except for an emissions test every other year on a vehicle five years old or older.

And the latter is only in the Chicago metro.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Brandon

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on July 02, 2014, 01:14:52 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 28, 2014, 11:30:39 AMWe don't have any inspections in Illinois either except for an emissions test every other year on a vehicle five years old or older.

And the latter is only in the Chicago metro.

And Metro East (St Clair & Madison Counties).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Crazy Volvo Guy

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

cpzilliacus

Maryland has never had a "routine" safety inspection, though a newly-purchased used car must pass a rigorous safety inspection before it can be issued registration plates. 

In the urban and suburban counties of the state, a periodic vehicle inspection for emissions only is required if your car has a gasoline engine.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: pctech on July 01, 2014, 04:50:37 PM
In areas that have problems with EPA standards there is an ODB hookup and test.  A lit check engine light is a fail.

That's pretty much how PA does it's emissions (in counties that require it.)  I learned the tough way a few years ago when I took my car in for both stickers (emissions and safety), and after waiting 40 minutes just to get the car in, they came out right away and said the "Check Engine" light was on and that was an instant fail (and, for whatever reason, they said they couldn't pull the code that triggered the light to know what to fix).  I asked about just the safety inspection, so at least I could get 1 sticker, and they said they weren't allowed do that one till the emissions passed (THAT kinda pissed me off).

After some Google searching, I pulled a fuse that made the light go away (apparently reset the computer), and took it back... where they informed me that since the computer reset, I would have to drive ~100 miles or so before they could do the test... Which I did (though I ended up taking it somewhere else) - it passed both inspections - and about 70 miles later the Check Engine light came back on - and stayed that way for a year+ till the next inspection (where that "trick" didn't work again, the light would come back on after only 50 miles or so after reset).

I could be wrong, but it seems that it's the car that does the actual test, and the inspection station's computer linked to Harrisburg just confirms it (for a nice chunk of change)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

SteveG1988

Quote from: Mr_Northside on July 02, 2014, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: pctech on July 01, 2014, 04:50:37 PM
In areas that have problems with EPA standards there is an ODB hookup and test.  A lit check engine light is a fail.

That's pretty much how PA does it's emissions (in counties that require it.)  I learned the tough way a few years ago when I took my car in for both stickers (emissions and safety), and after waiting 40 minutes just to get the car in, they came out right away and said the "Check Engine" light was on and that was an instant fail (and, for whatever reason, they said they couldn't pull the code that triggered the light to know what to fix).  I asked about just the safety inspection, so at least I could get 1 sticker, and they said they weren't allowed do that one till the emissions passed (THAT kinda pissed me off).

After some Google searching, I pulled a fuse that made the light go away (apparently reset the computer), and took it back... where they informed me that since the computer reset, I would have to drive ~100 miles or so before they could do the test... Which I did (though I ended up taking it somewhere else) - it passed both inspections - and about 70 miles later the Check Engine light came back on - and stayed that way for a year+ till the next inspection (where that "trick" didn't work again, the light would come back on after only 50 miles or so after reset).

I could be wrong, but it seems that it's the car that does the actual test, and the inspection station's computer linked to Harrisburg just confirms it (for a nice chunk of change)

You are 100% correct.

When the OBD-II test is done, it uses the on board sensors and firmware to do the test. The computer they have is just a glorified code reader that enters it into an inspection report system.

New Jersey does not charge for the test.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Road Hog

On one of my vehicles the ABS module went bad – a new one costs $900 – and I had to pull the fuse to make the ABS system stop whirring once I parked. Otherwise it would drain my battery. When I did that, it caused the brake light on my dashboard to stay on, and it wouldn't pass inspection with that.

So when I go to get an inspection, I just reinsert the fuse and go get the inspection, whirring noise and all. It passes every time, and after it's done I take the fuse out again. In the meantime I just cover the brake light up with black tape and drive as normal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.