Song Titles that are not obvious in the song's lyrics

Started by roadman65, June 28, 2014, 12:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

hbelkins

More from Zeppelin. How could I have forgotten "D'yer Mak'er" (I remember hearing Casey Kasem talk about the history of that song title, and how it's properly pronounced similar to "Jamaica" but with an "er" at the end) and "The Crunge," which asks the question that lost travelers have been known to utter, "Where's that confounded bridge?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

the correct title is mentioned in the lyrics, but for the longest time I thought there was an Aerosmith song called "Home Sweet Home".

in fact, for many years I thought the lyrics at end were "and for the last time, I'm just a punk in the street".  hey, it didn't fail to make sense.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

KEVIN_224

"Foolish Beat" was a #1 hit for Debbie Gibson in 1988. She only sings the title of that song once in the entire song ("...just a foolish beat of my heart..."). Compare that to "Shake Your Love" a few months earlier, where the damn lyric is said like 100 times in the whole thing!  :banghead:

Pete from Boston

"Baba O'Riley."  Synth loop in the style of Terry Riley was intended to be based on vital statistics of the Avatar Meher Baba, of whom Pete Townshend was a follower.   Part of an abandoned rock opera about a world in which this was a typical way of composing music.  Could be called the beginning of Townshend's growing inability to write straightforward rock songs and obsession with overblown concepts he had difficulty carrying out.

jakeroot

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 30, 2014, 11:58:40 AM
"Baba O'Riley."  Synth loop in the style of Terry Riley was intended to be based on vital statistics of the Avatar Meher Baba, of whom Pete Townshend was a follower.   Part of an abandoned rock opera about a world in which this was a typical way of composing music.  Could be called the beginning of Townshend's growing inability to write straightforward rock songs and obsession with overblown concepts he had difficulty carrying out.

I already mentioned "Baba O'Riley" on the last page, but it doesn't matter. If I recall correctly, "Baba O'Riley has been cited on some websites as one of the top 10 most confusing song names. My mom, who is not a Who fan, did not know the name of this song. I asked her, and she said, "Teenage Wasteland". Can't blame her...I think quite a few people (mistakenly) call it that.

EDIT: Already mentioned by OP (post #1), which I missed and posted again too.  :banghead:

Brandon

Quote from: Thing 342 on June 28, 2014, 10:10:31 PM
Good luck finding out what "I.G.Y" stands for and what it has in relation to the eponymous song by Donald Fagen.

International Geophysical Year (July 1957 - December 1958).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vtk

"Baba O'Riley."  Synth loop in the style of Terry Riley was intended to be based on vital statistics of the Avatar Meher Baba

Third time that one's been mentioned.  But, vital statistics, like a heartbeat or something?  So, does that mean it's actually supposed to sound like an orgasm at the end?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vtk on June 30, 2014, 09:51:07 PM
"Baba O'Riley."  Synth loop in the style of Terry Riley was intended to be based on vital statistics of the Avatar Meher Baba

Third time that one's been mentioned.  But, vital statistics, like a heartbeat or something?  So, does that mean it's actually supposed to sound like an orgasm at the end?

Sorry, skimmed quickly.  "Who's Next" was the salvaged remnants of "Lifehouse," a two-album story about a future society in which music was programmed for everyone based on their particular details.  IIRC, Pete Townshend started the whole thing over and released it in 2000 or so, but like most of his recent output, it did not garner a lot of attention.

DandyDan

MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

vtk

Quote from: DandyDan on July 01, 2014, 06:18:09 AM
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana.

Smells Like Nirvana by Weird Al Yankovic

come to think of it...

A Complicated Song
every polka-pop medley
Cavity Search

Laura

Quote from: roadman on June 30, 2014, 09:46:42 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2014, 02:43:45 PM
These days you can find any song you like (barring the relentlessly obscure stuff, of course) by typing a random snippet of the lyrics into Google. It will match one of several dozen websites that list the lyrics to dang near every commercially published song out there, complete with artist and title.
And 99% of those web sites deliberatly misquote at least part of the song lyrics to avoid paying licensing fees.

Grumble...don't get me started on that bs. If the record companies posted them on their own website themselves as a courtesy for consumers, we would not have this issue. They could post the lyrics and have useful ads for a person to then buy a copy of the song or similar songs, but no, that's innovation, and the recording industry isn't capable of that. Instead, god forbid other sites fill this void and give away lyrics for free and make money from worthless ads (lose 20 lbs in 5 days with this secret), so let's just sue the websites who do so. No one would ever pay for lyrics outright, but yet somehow the recording industry is convinced they are losing money from it.

Quote from: bugo on June 29, 2014, 01:41:33 AM
This thread is pointless because there are literally millions of examples.

I recommend for the moderators to lock it pronto.

I respectfully disagree. The fact that there are so many examples makes this an interesting thread. This is much better than a thread that just asks a question that has one correct answer.

I feel like the 90's was the prime time for obscure song names, although it stuck around with emo and pop-punk bands in the 00's

Easy examples with multiple songs: Stone Temple Pilots (interstate love song, sex type thing) and pretty much every song by Fallout Boy and Panic at the Disco.

Other examples that quickly come to mind, where the title is from an otherwise easily forgotten lyric:

"Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crows and Vanessa Carlton
(Paved paradise and put up a parking lot)

"Counting Blue Cars" by Dishwalla
(Tell me all your thoughts on God)

iPhone

jakeroot

Quote from: bugo on June 29, 2014, 01:41:33 AM
This thread is pointless because there are literally millions of examples.

I recommend for the moderators to lock it pronto.

I hope that's sarcasm.

JakeFromNewEngland

A few songs by Coldplay do the same thing. For example, the song "Charlie Brown" makes no reference to the title at all, at least I can't tell.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Laura on July 01, 2014, 02:28:55 PM

I had figured that there would be covers of this, but I had no idea there was a version more "authoritative" than the original Joni Mitchell!  I've heard two versions: the original, and one horrifically modern one that was full of auto-tune and I'm afraid whoever put that version together had completely missed the point.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

Quote"Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crows and Vanessa Carlton

Two very good examples of mainstream songs that everybody is familiar with.

hbelkins

Quote from: Brian556 on July 02, 2014, 06:24:54 PM

I've never heard either song and have only heard of one of them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kurumi

Now available for the first time on one CD: America's best-loved rock classics!

Teenage Wasteland - The Who
Take a look at my Girlfriend - Supertramp
Sending out an SOS - The Police
Woo Ooo - Blur
Sail Away - Enya
Move Out - Yaz
Major Tom - David Bowie
What's that sound - Buffalo Springfield
I Get Knocked Down - Chumbawumba
Stand by Me - the Clash
The Show that Never Ends - ELP
Hey Hey Mama - Led Zeppelin
Feelin' Groovy - Simon and Garfunkel
Stand by me - Clash
I Like Big Butts - Sir Mix-a-lot
Many miles away - Police
We Don't Need No Education - Pink Floyd
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

vtk

Quote from: kurumi on July 03, 2014, 12:02:11 AM
Stand by Me - the Clash
Stand by me - Clash

Are these two separate songs?

(Great list, by the way.)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 30, 2014, 10:08:32 PM
Sorry, skimmed quickly.  "Who's Next" was the salvaged remnants of "Lifehouse," a two-album story about a future society in which music was programmed for everyone based on their particular details.

IMO, one of the greatest rock albums ever made.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on July 02, 2014, 10:16:15 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on July 02, 2014, 06:24:54 PM

I've never heard either song and have only heard of one of them.

More of a...Gen Y song(s). I see you're 52.

jp the roadgeek

Volume II:

The Lunatic/All that You Do            Pink Floyd
I'll Be Watching You                      The Police
Goin' Down for the Last Time         Head East
You Make it Hard                           CSN
All Aboard That Train                     CSN
Carry The News                             Mott the Hoople
Mama                                           Queen
Blood in the Streets/My Girl            The Doors
Been a Long Time                          Led Zeppelin
Feel It                                           Stone Temple Pilots
Off to Never Never Land                  Metallica
I Like the Night Life                        The Cars
Go Ask Alice                                   Jefferson Airplane
On Our Way Back Home                  Peter Gabriel
Girl, I Want to Be With You              The Kinks
Yesterday's Gone                            Fleetwood Mac

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Laura

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 02, 2014, 05:31:59 PM
Quote from: Laura on July 01, 2014, 02:28:55 PM

I had figured that there would be covers of this, but I had no idea there was a version more "authoritative" than the original Joni Mitchell!  I've heard two versions: the original, and one horrifically modern one that was full of auto-tune and I'm afraid whoever put that version together had completely missed the point.

Ahh!! I always thought there was an original version of this song, but just listed the one I knew. I heard the song as a kid and then later the Counting Crows version and thought it wasn't new.

Yeah, the counting crows one is probably the "horrifically modern one" you're thinkin of. According to Wikipedia, there have been several covers, but this one is most famous.

ETA: I'm loving the Joni Mitchell version. This is definitely the one I remember as a kid.

iPhone

Laura

Tapatalk failed double post

1995hoo

I've known quite a few people who said they like that song "If You Be My Bodyguard" by Paul Simon.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.