News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Does anyone here watch Daytime Soaps at all?

Started by roadman65, July 10, 2014, 08:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I have noticed a lot that Daytime soaps are not just for homemakers or women anymore.  Many guys watch the show and even in the day with GH's Luke and Laura many guys I went to HS with were into the GH thing then back in the 80's.

I myself watch General Hospital which has been going good lately with the Fluke storyline.  Although actor Anthony Geary is on LOA and will not be back till the Fall, his storyline is causing great suspense as we all know that lately Geary, who usually plays Luke Spencer, is now playing the unknown evil villain known as Fluke who's real identity has yet to be revealed until the actor returns from hiatus.  Luke is kidnapped and drugged and placed inside a nut house while someone uses his identity and looks to bring down the hateful Sonny Corinthos, who I think needs to die out myself cause his character is too old.  Unfortunately, even his nemesis Jasper Jax even said that "Sonny will survive Armageddon" as he is the one character that always escapes death, jail, and even cold blooded murder all the time with help from his eccentric ex wife Carly.

Anyway, does anyone here watch daytime soaps even though it is a bunch of unbelievable stories like rapid age where someone born in 1999 is now over 20 years of age and where people always return from the dead and where all people of a big city know each other and stuff?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

getemngo

My family watched Passions together for a few summers. It was really refreshing to have a soap opera not take itself too seriously (and to even have laugh-out-loud and quotable moments)... but even so, all the repetition got to us after a while.

I do wonder how much longer the remaining soaps will last, with the increasing amount of news, court shows, and talk shows pushing everything else out. Daytime television is becoming more and more of a wasteland.
~ Sam from Michigan

Scott5114

Daytime TV is just not lucrative any more. Most of the time, when a show gets canned on daytime the network just releases the timeslot to the affiliates for syndication. Unless it's NBC, where it becomes yet another hour of Today.

I wish they would bring back more daytime network game shows, myself.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

oscar

How are the Spanish-language soaps ("telenovelas") doing these days?  I never watched soaps in any language, but my late Italian mother was addicted to the Mexican soaps, which she watched in part to help her learn Spanish. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

allniter89

Quote from: roadman65 on July 10, 2014, 08:55:24 PM
I have noticed a lot that Daytime soaps are not just for homemakers or women anymore.  Many guys watch the show and even in the day with GH's Luke and Laura many guys I went to HS with were into the GH thing then back in the 80's.

I myself watch General Hospital which has been going good lately with the Fluke storyline.  Although actor Anthony Geary is on LOA and will not be back till the Fall, his storyline is causing great suspense as we all know that lately Geary, who usually plays Luke Spencer, is now playing the unknown evil villain known as Fluke who's real identity has yet to be revealed until the actor returns from hiatus.  Luke is kidnapped and drugged and placed inside a nut house while someone uses his identity and looks to bring down the hateful Sonny Corinthos, who I think needs to die out myself cause his character is too old.  Unfortunately, even his nemesis Jasper Jax even said that "Sonny will survive Armageddon" as he is the one character that always escapes death, jail, and even cold blooded murder all the time with help from his eccentric ex wife Carly.

Anyway, does anyone here watch daytime soaps even though it is a bunch of unbelievable stories like rapid age where someone born in 1999 is now over 20 years of age and where people always return from the dead and where all people of a big city know each other and stuff?
I sometimes watch The Young &The Restless where numerous characters have killed (not in self defense) someone and they never go to jail. Sometimes a story line will get so ridiculous I have to walk away smh.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

roadman65

Yeah I think that is why Soaps are becoming so unpopular as they are getting old.  Even Anthony Geary on GH took on the role of Fluke because he was becoming quite weary of his role of Luke that he needed more excitement.  Plus bad writers as GH has had many of them in the last twenty years.  AJ Quartermaine had bad storylines (and too many actors play his character) that made him an ad lib character.  Too many people are tired of seeing a careless person all of sudden be very ruthless as AJ was from one personality to another in a few seconds just to make Sonny's character more interesting.  Like AJ putting a hit out on his brother over 15 years ago that he really never did as anyone can tell you that AJ loved his brother so much back then which brings up more of what is turning people away.

We all watch shows devoutly and know everything about somebody or a situation, and then 20 years they think we forgot and try to redo that moment showing that something else happened that could have never happened then did actually take place back then.  Then also the rapid age of characters born a few years ago, as well as dead people being alive all these years as a more than common occurrence is another factor, but like you said too many people murdering others and getting away with it along with their characters being one of the most respected one's on the show.

If it were not for the Fluke storyline, I probably would not be so into it as much or even at all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.