News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite National Bank Chain

Started by roadman65, July 18, 2014, 02:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was just curious if anybody uses the big chain banks, and which ones you do bank at or have opinions about.

Me I like Chase and am looking into TD Bank as the latter requires you to only keep 100 bucks in your account to avoid service fees.  Bank of America sucks and glad I dumped years ago.  I only acquired them because they ended up buying the bank I originally liked when I moved to Florida back in the 90's.  B of A does not give you an accurate summary on line of your balance as if you use bill pay to pay 30 dollars to the electric company, your account is not shown the new balance until your electric company receives the money themselves.  Where with Chase I like because your account is automatically debited that 30 bucks from the moment you make the payment, so you know what you really have in your account.

Of course all banks these days really suck, but the two I mentioned are the best I have found so far.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SidS1045

"Favorite national bank chain"
Isn't that a contradiction, like "jumbo shrimp?"
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

The Nature Boy

I have Bank of America, but only because it was the only national bank downtown in my college town and it's also in my law school town. I had their free student account until they switched me recently.

Once I move to Boston, I'll probably switch to TD or a local bank.

Thing 342

ghYHZ

I'm surprised at the coverage the big Canadian banks now have in the US.....TD (Toronto Dominion) and RBC (Royal Bank of Canada)........ Great to be able to save on ATM fees by using a branch of my local bank on a drive to Myrtle Beach each year.

doorknob60

US Bank hasn't given me any issues since I opened my account a few years ago. And my parents have used them for ages, without complaints. Although, I think there might be some fees that they're waiving for me since I'm a student. Not sure what they are or if I'll have to pay them later.

Scott5114

Both banks that I use are Oklahoma-exclusive: Tinker Federal Credit Union for personal finance, and BancFirst for business. I have not had any problems with either, even though my TFCU account has been open since 1995.

I would never use one of the national banks. I have heard too many horror stories, particularly about Chase.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

I like Bank of America's online banking and their iPad app. Outstanding stuff.

I got fed up with Citibank because they kept putting holds on $200 of a $300 deposit every few weeks even when I had more than enough in my accounts to cover it if it bounced. To paraphrase William R. Sturgeon ("The Fish," for any of you who were once Gordon Korman fans), if I were to attempt to defraud Citibank, it would not be for the paltry sum of $200. I would, as they say, go for the bundle. I had had accounts at Citibank because when I worked downtown they had a branch a block from the office and it was a good way to segregate money for estimated tax payments from regular money, plus their ATM gave out $50 bills. But I no longer work downtown and finding a Citibank branch is a hassle (nearest one is a good 15—20 minute drive).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Road Hog

B of A is where I have my checking, but only because they bought out my hometown bank some 15 years ago. I'll trust them to mind my account and their ATMs are everywhere, but that's the extent of it.

Tried to refinance my mortgage through B of A a few years ago and there were so many hoops to jump through, I gave up and refi'd through Green Tree.

1995hoo

Quote from: Road Hog on July 18, 2014, 09:16:36 PM
B of A is where I have my checking, but only because they bought out my hometown bank some 15 years ago. I'll trust them to mind my account and their ATMs are everywhere, but that's the extent of it.

Heh. I could trace Bank of America back to Fairfax County National Bank!

SteveG1988

I love wells fargo. I just like having a ton of branches everywhere
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

roadman65

I do have an account with Wells Fargo.  Here is how it happened.  A small bank in Clark, NJ called United Counties Trust got absorbed sometime in the 90's to another bank.  That bank was a regional NJ bank that eventually became part of First Jersey Bank.  Then First Jersey got absorbed into First Union Bank, which as if you follow the 76ers in the NBA you will know the naming rights of its home arena that will give you the rest.

However, if you do not follow the Sixers than you should know how it later merged with another bank to become Wachovia.  Then finally Wachovia a few years back merged with Wells Fargo and viola I am part of it.  From a one branch bank to a large nationwide bank.  It is not the best though, but for Nostalgia I hold on to it.  Chase is my main bank, but Wells Fargo has the best logo with the covered wagon and even some branches show railroad pictures on the walls above the teller windows.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

United Counties had more than one branch. There was a branch in Springfield, NJ that is still a Wells Fargo today. According to NJ's bank merger history, United Counties went through a few mergers before becoming New Jersey National Bank and First Union (you forget CoreStates).

I still bank local, no hidden fees, no hassles. If I ever have to call customer support, I get someone in NJ, not India. I still love how your own bank gets away with charging foreign ATM fees (PNC started this evil) on top of the ATM owner's fees. It actually doesn't cost your bank anything to process the transaction, its pure profit!

http://www.nj.gov/dobi/bankmerger_alpha.htm

on_wisconsin

Uh... Why would I voluntarily tell the internet what bank I use... sounds like a safe idea...
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

1995hoo

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 19, 2014, 01:29:18 AM
Uh... Why would I voluntarily tell the internet what bank I use... sounds like a safe idea...

Somebody tried posting a thread that asked exactly that and it was quickly locked. This thread is slightly different.

Doctor Whom

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 18, 2014, 10:24:49 PM
I'm very happy with Wells Fargo for mortgages.

US71

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 19, 2014, 01:29:18 AM
It's not like you're giving your account info :p

US71

Quote from: Doctor Whom on July 19, 2014, 09:54:28 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 18, 2014, 10:24:49 PM
I'm very happy with Wells Fargo for mortgages.

I don't trust Wells Fargo. Long story. Suffice to say the brokers are crooked.

realjd

Banks suck, national banks even more so. Go find a local credit union.

US71

Quote from: realjd on July 19, 2014, 03:03:22 PM
I left my credit union after they gouged me on service fees (despite being "non-profit")

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 18, 2014, 09:28:41 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on July 18, 2014, 09:16:36 PM

Heh. I could trace Bank of America back to Fairfax County National Bank!

Bank of America is the fifth corporation to own the account I have with them.  I periodically remind them of this when they're being a pain in my ass and they usually straighten up.

algorerhythms

Quote from: US71 on July 19, 2014, 04:05:07 PM
I left my credit union after they gouged me on service fees (despite being "non-profit")
That's why I didn't go with the local credit union that I qualify for. As bad as BoA is, they're less bad than that credit union.

SP Cook

Old guy mode on.  National banks, as in "with a national presense" as opposed to the word "national" in the name are a great convience.  In the old days you had to change banks everytime you moved, often even within the same state and when you traveled, you needed to plan ahead because the ATM fees were confiscatory (or, really old guy mode on, there was no such thing as an ATM, and nobody at the banks where you were knew you, which is why you had traveler's checks (credit cards were far less common) and cash). 

That said, I use BB&T.  Mainly because I used their local predecessor which they bought and most of my travels are in the South.  My area is an economic backwater and avoided by most truly national banks, save Chase, which of course, I would not use because of its historical owners.    If Wells Fargo or BoA came in this area, I would consider them.

US81

Quote from: algorerhythms on July 19, 2014, 11:42:47 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 19, 2014, 04:05:07 PM
That's why I didn't go with the local credit union that I qualify for. As bad as BoA is, they're less bad than that credit union.

I'm sorry to hear that there are bad credit unions out there. I've only had good experiences with all of mine, and been so badly gouged by banks that I'm never - ever- going back.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.