News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite National Bank Chain

Started by roadman65, July 18, 2014, 02:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamaZeus

Personally, I would never go anywhere called First National Bank.  That's the bank that's always getting robbed in the cartoons, immediately followed by Second National Bank.

1995hoo

I've always found it puzzling when places call themselves "First" anything. It seems like 80% of the time when I see a Baptist church, it's named "First Baptist Church." I suppose if it has a suffix, such as "of Podunkville" or the like, then maybe the name makes sense if it was the first church of that denomination founded in that town. I just always find it weird to see so many "First Baptist Church"es everywhere.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: BamaZeus on July 24, 2014, 12:21:39 PM
Personally, I would never go anywhere called First National Bank.  That's the bank that's always getting robbed in the cartoons, immediately followed by Second National Bank.

There actually is a Second National Bank in Illinois, based in Aurora.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

And there is a Fifth Third bank.  A Cincinnati-based regional bank.

kkt

Quote from: realjd on July 23, 2014, 08:15:09 AM
What's a deposit slip? If I go to the bank in person there's a little form I fill out but it's just my account number, name, and amount depositing. Is that what you're talking about? If so, doesn't your bank have stacks of them for free to fill out when you get there?

Sure, you can use the blank ones, but they you have to copy down your name and account number.  If you use your preprinted ones that come with your checks, you just fill in the amount and don't have to have your account number memorized or written down, or make the teller look it up.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 24, 2014, 12:28:50 PM
I've always found it puzzling when places call themselves "First" anything. It seems like 80% of the time when I see a Baptist church, it's named "First Baptist Church." I suppose if it has a suffix, such as "of Podunkville" or the like, then maybe the name makes sense if it was the first church of that denomination founded in that town. I just always find it weird to see so many "First Baptist Church"es everywhere.

This actually has something to do with the National Bank Act of 1863. This is the law allowing federally-chartered banks that could issue national currency (as opposed to state-chartered banks that could only issue currency redeemable for precious metals at that bank only). For whatever reason, a lot of banks became the First National Bank of Whatever upon getting issued a federal charter.

By the way the First National Bank was the First National Bank of Philadelphia, issued charter No. 1. That bank is now part of Wells Fargo, which retains the charter number.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

golden eagle

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 18, 2014, 08:23:58 PM
Both banks that I use are Oklahoma-exclusive: Tinker Federal Credit Union for personal finance, and BancFirst for business. I have not had any problems with either, even though my TFCU account has been open since 1995.

I saw a young woman in a park this morning with a BancFirst logo on the back of her shirt.

Anyhow, I bank with Regions. I was a member of Amsouth, but they were bought out by Regions.

DavidBoyce

Well, that's funny. :D

Takumi

Funny enough to dig up a 9-year-old thread though?

Like some others, I use a local credit union. I've had much better service with them than I did when I was with Wells Fargo. Honestly my only complaint about my credit union is they won't ever hire me when I apply to jobs there :-D

When I was out of the country last year, I only had one hiccup because they thought I was returning sooner than I did.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Big John on July 24, 2014, 01:16:43 PM

They should really express that as a decimal rather than a fraction.
"1.666666666666666..... Bank"
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

JayhawkCO

wriddle082

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 08, 2023, 03:21:59 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 24, 2014, 01:16:43 PM

They should really express that as a decimal rather than a fraction.
"1.666666666666666..... Bank"

Their current advertising promotes their "166.7% Guarantee".

My mom and one of my brothers have accounts with Fifth Third and have been very pleased.  If they had branches in my area I would convince my wife to drop BoA and go with them, but we'd have to go 100 miles away to their closest branch in Charlotte.  Otherwise I'd like to switch to Truist, since SunTrust never really did me wrong when I had them in the past.

I am a bigger fan of credit unions than my wife is.  I still have my credit union account from Tennessee, and my youngest brother works for a credit union in Kentucky.  He's hoping that Navy Federal opens up a branch near where he lives someday so he can try to apply to work for them.

Rothman

Remember when Dave Ramsey ranted against 5/3 Bank?  Made me look into the bank. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: DavidBoyce on November 08, 2023, 07:57:48 AM
Well, that's funny. :D

The last time this thread was posted in before this, Barack Obama was President.

Don't post to old threads unless you have a good reason.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

If you want to get comical, then here's something from National Lampoon's European Vacation:

(driving through Paris)

CLARK: Over there is the Left Bank; you won't guess what's on the other side.

RUSTY: The Bank of America!

Every time I see a B of A location or ad, it makes me think back to that father-son banter. (Of course, in 1985, what is now B of A was a bunch of state and regional banks scattered all over the nation.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

DavidBoyce

Quote from: Henry on November 08, 2023, 10:33:20 PM
If you want to get comical, then here's something from National Lampoon's European Vacation:

(driving through Paris)

CLARK: Over there is the Left Bank; you won't guess what's on the other side.

RUSTY: The Bank of America!
It's actually not that important to me which bank I use. But I'm also looking at TD Bank because of their low minimum balance requirements. Also I read about api in banking the guide to bank apis, found https://dashdevs.com/blog/api-in-banking-the-guide-to-bank-apis/ for this. Therefore, I realized that it is important that everything is very well designed for the banking system. There are many choices, you need to read about each bank. But still, each will have big pros and big cons.
Every time I see a B of A location or ad, it makes me think back to that father-son banter. (Of course, in 1985, what is now B of A was a bunch of state and regional banks scattered all over the nation.)
thanks

Road Hog

Asking your favorite bank is like asking your favorite colonoscopist. They both know your ass and can probe it at will.

DandyDan

None. I have always used local banks as much as possible. The next big financial disaster probably takes out a big name bank.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Ted$8roadFan

None. I use local/regional banks and/or credit unions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.