News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Earthquake

Started by bugo, October 14, 2010, 12:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

algorerhythms

I was in class at the time. The classroom shook a bit and the people in my class broke out into pandemonium, as if something horrible had just happened. To make it worse, the university declared a state of emergency and sent out a pile of emails to everyone. I'm sure if I hadn't taken my phone number off their system the last time they sent out a robot phone call to tell me it's snowing then they would have called me, too.

As for myself, it just reminded me of back home in western Maryland, where if you feel the ground shake it just means the strip mines are blasting again.

edit - thought I'd add that perhaps the only damage done in the earthquake was done in my lab, where our laser beam for trapping cesium atoms was moved just enough to mess up the trap a bit.

bugo

Quote from: algorerhythms on October 14, 2010, 12:36:55 AM
edit - thought I'd add that perhaps the only damage done in the earthquake was done in my lab, where our laser beam for trapping cesium atoms was moved just enough to mess up the trap a bit.

There was a building on the OU campus that had some cracks in the wall after the earthquake.

Truvelo

I didn't realise earthquakes occurred that far east?

Saying that, we also get earthquakes here.
Speed limits limit life

bugo

Quote from: Truvelo on October 14, 2010, 05:03:51 AM
I didn't realise earthquakes occurred that far east?

One of the most active faults in the country is the New Madrid Fault, which stretches through southeastern Missouri and northeastern Arkansas.  When the "big one" hits, Memphis will likely be toast.

mightyace

^^^
Yes.  The series of earthquakes in late 1811 and early 1812 are speculated to be the largest earthquakes ever in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

Here is an map of damage zones from similar magnitude earthquakes in Los Angeles and New Madrid.

Edit:
P. S.  I have experienced earthquakes when I lived in Baltimore, MD and Akron, OH.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

algorerhythms

Quote from: bugo on October 14, 2010, 04:59:53 AM
Quote from: algorerhythms on October 14, 2010, 12:36:55 AM

There was a building on the OU campus that had some cracks in the wall after the earthquake.
According to the article I saw in the Norman Transcript, those cracks existed before the earthquake.

Stephane Dumas

Someone on the mailing list Canroads posted the following url to a CNN article or blog http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-501263 about a big crack in the Earth in the Upper Michigan appearing from nowhere.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: bugo on October 14, 2010, 05:35:38 AM
One of the most active faults in the country is the New Madrid Fault, which stretches through southeastern Missouri and northeastern Arkansas.  When the "big one" hits, Memphis will likely be toast.

There is also another fault or line known in Eastern Canada and Northern New England, the Logan fault separating the lower plains of St-Lawrence river valley and the Appalachians and continue under the St-Lawerence and separate the Appalachians from the Canadian shield http://geoscape.nrcan.gc.ca/quebec/upperlower_e.php  http://geoscape.nrcan.gc.ca/quebec/eq_e.php However another fault caused by a fracture of the Canadian shield the Neuville fault is also a factor as well as some or some grabens like the Ottawa Graben (Ottawa was shaken by an Earthquake in late June 2010 and it was felt even to Detroit) or the Saguenay graben http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa-Bonnechere_Graben 

jgb191

Is everyone ok up there?  Hopefully the damage wasn't too bad and wishing everyone a quick recovery from the big earthquake.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

bugo

Quote from: jgb191 on October 14, 2010, 11:32:30 PM
Is everyone ok up there?  Hopefully the damage wasn't too bad and wishing everyone a quick recovery from the big earthquake.

Hahahaha...it wasn't bad at all.  It woke me up out of bed, but didn't do much if any damage in Tulsa.  It might have caused some very minor damage in the Oklahoma City area, and a guy fell off a ladder when it hit and received non-life threatening injuries, but it was a pretty small earthquake.  It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

That area of Oklahoma is surprisingly geologically active.  Small earthquakes happen often.  This one was the biggest earthquake in Oklahoma in many years.

Stephane Dumas

bugo

We had 3 "major" (4.7-5.6) earthquakes earlier this month.  I felt all three, and the second one was definitely the strongest.  It sounded like my apartment building was going to shake apart and there was a low rumbling sound.  A computer stand swayed back and forth but nothing fell off the walls and no dishes broke.  It lasted perhaps 45 seconds, there were groups of waves that could be felt.  After it was over there was a weird smell similar to oil burning.  I didn't get scared at all.  It was kind of neat to be honest.  But I wouldn't want to be in a big one.

Scott5114

Yeah, the biggest one that hit woke me up. Other than the bed swaying quite a bit and the picture frames on the wall rattling, it was fine. Apparently one of the aftershocks hit while I was at work walking around and I didn't notice it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

algorerhythms

The 5.6 earthquake caused some damage to Nielsen Hall (the physics building) at the University of Oklahoma. The ceiling tiles in the atrium room fell on the pendulum in the room, damaging the pendulum.

bugo

We had a 4.3 at around 2am last night and a 4.4 a little after 9am this morning.

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on March 30, 2014, 10:42:39 AM
We had a 4.3 at around 2am last night and a 4.4 a little after 9am this morning.

I remember a few years ago when there was a 3.x or so quake in New Jersey. I was sitting in my computer chair when it started to shake, which caused a bit of dizzyness. I got up and the floor was shaking, and as soon as I realized what it was, it was done. If there were aftershocks, I didn't feel them.

I guess it's proof that earthquakes can happen anywhere, even if you don't live on/near a fault. Same with tornadoes. Had a couple of those last year and the year before... none in my area luckily.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

If there's ever an 8.1 earthquake, blame it on Microsoft.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on March 30, 2014, 10:50:30 AM
Quote from: bugo on March 30, 2014, 10:42:39 AM

I remember a few years ago when there was a 3.x or so quake in New Jersey. I was sitting in my computer chair when it started to shake, which caused a bit of dizzyness. I got up and the floor was shaking, and as soon as I realized what it was, it was done. If there were aftershocks, I didn't feel them.

I guess it's proof that earthquakes can happen anywhere, even if you don't live on/near a fault. Same with tornadoes. Had a couple of those last year and the year before... none in my area luckily.

I was sitting on the 9th floor of my office building when it shook.  Naturally, everyone wanted to head to the elevators and do the exact opposite of what someone should do during an earthquake.

bing101

Well a 5.1 happen near Anaheim on Friday Night.

oscar

Quote from: mightyace on October 14, 2010, 09:57:13 AM
^^^
Yes.  The series of earthquakes in late 1811 and early 1812 are speculated to be the largest earthquakes ever in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

Eastern North America.  Alaska had a 9.2 in 1964, which trashed Anchorage and many other communities in south central Alaska.  Hawaii (part of North America only politically, not geologically) had a 7.5 in 1975, which fortunately only caused two fatalities.  And of course many other earthquakes in the Pacific coast states would be at least competitive with the New Madrid quakes, though at least those states are more earthquake-ready than the Midwest.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Stephane Dumas

Seems there's also some seismic activity along the East Coast around NYC like one in 1884
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_activity_in_the_New_York_City_area
I wonder if it might gived some inspiration for a tv movie titlted "Aftershock Earthquake in New York"?

Charleston in South Carolina was hit by a 7.3 earthquake in 1886
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1886_Charleston_earthquake

I still have memories of the 1988 Saguenay earthquake.

bing101

Update Yellowstone had a 4.8 Quake last weekend.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 30, 2014, 11:10:30 AM
I was sitting on the 9th floor of my office building when it shook.  Naturally, everyone wanted to head to the elevators and do the exact opposite of what someone should do during an earthquake.

What exactly are you supposed to do? I don't recall being taught in school "if there is ever an earthquake do this...", but I remember being taught about what to do in a tornado or hurricane. I think I recall reading that the best thing during an earthquake is to hide under a table? Or is that a tornado? Crap.

Regardless, running for the elevator is a terrible idea during a 'quake, especially if it's bad enough that the elevator platform can plummet straight down into the depths of the shaft.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on March 31, 2014, 01:28:22 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 30, 2014, 11:10:30 AM

What exactly are you supposed to do? I don't recall being taught in school "if there is ever an earthquake do this...", but I remember being taught about what to do in a tornado or hurricane. I think I recall reading that the best thing during an earthquake is to hide under a table? Or is that a tornado? Crap.

Well, both.  Basically, you just want something to protect you in the case of failing debris.  Even if the table collasped, it would be a short drop onto your body/head, not several feet.

Regardless, running for the elevator is a terrible idea during a 'quake, especially if it's bad enough that the elevator platform can plummet straight down into the depths of the shaft.

Hopefully the safety features within the elevator shaft won't allow this to happen.  But...it could get stuck in the event of a power failure.  If that's the case, it probably won't be the only power failure in the area, and it could take a while to get rescued!

Really, there's no reason to go outside: Things could be falling from buildings; power lines could break, etc. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.