News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 09, 2012, 07:58:05 PM
^
Thats cool, what about USH-41 in Wisconsin? Anyone have a new constuction update, how is the new US-45 interchange working?

It appears to be working splendidly (at least it did during EAA week).

:cheers:

BTW, I'm now calling it the 'Algoma' interchange (US 41, interchange 120).

Mike

nwi_navigator_1181

If I may ask, what is wrong with keeping the original U.S. 41 designation? U.S. highways built to interstate grade are not as rare as one may think. The Avenue of the Saints (mostly U.S. 61), U.S. 131 and 127 in Michigan, and eventually U.S. 31 in Michigan and Indiana come to mind immediately.

If WisDOT insists on adding an interstate to the deal (in which I don't see any harm in doing, see I-39), don't remove the U.S. 41 designation. That's really all I ask.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NE2

Avenue of the Saints is far from Interstate standard, due to the many at-grades. US 127 still has a couple north of Lansing, and is part of porky I-73.

US 41 won't disappear, since it exists to the north and south.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

gbgoose

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on August 09, 2012, 11:54:41 PM
If I may ask, what is wrong with keeping the original U.S. 41 designation? U.S. highways built to interstate grade are not as rare as one may think. The Avenue of the Saints (mostly U.S. 61), U.S. 131 and 127 in Michigan, and eventually U.S. 31 in Michigan and Indiana come to mind immediately.

If WisDOT insists on adding an interstate to the deal (in which I don't see any harm in doing, see I-39), don't remove the U.S. 41 designation. That's really all I ask.

Wisconsin wants the interstate funding, potential business and perhaps additional tourists that the interstate designation were to bring to 41.  If you ask the locals here, most will probably even still call it 41 even after the upgrade.

Living in Green Bay, I posted a while back there was a push for I-55 to claim to have a through-route to New Orleans, but reading lately that probably won't happen, so I'd guess to see I-41 when the meetings take place in November.  It is possible, even probable U.S. 41 could be re-routed say along WI-57 - but that would be confusing to have an I-41 and U.S. 41 within 40 miles of one another, crossing in Green Bay.

Jordanah1

i would route US41 along its historic route through the local downtowns, if I41 is in fact the designation.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Jordanah1 on August 10, 2012, 10:17:55 AM
i would route US41 along its historic route through the local downtowns, if I41 is in fact the designation.

That would just create confusion.  And my guess is that WIDOT would rather decommission WI-175 to a county highway than resign it as a USH.

NE2

Quote from: Jordanah1 on August 10, 2012, 10:17:55 AM
That would indeed be confusing if it's I-41. And AASHTO would never agree. Once you move a U.S. Route to a freeway, you never go back.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on August 09, 2012, 09:30:19 PM

Makes sense since it's Algoma Blvd.  But I was always curious about something in Oshkosh that maybe a local might know.  The Town of Oshkosh is north of the Fox River and the Town of Algoma is south of the Fox River, yet in the City of Oshkosh, Algoma Blvd is north of the Fox River and Oshkosh Ave is south of the Fox River.  :hmmm:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 10, 2012, 04:22:50 PM

Makes sense since it's Algoma Blvd.  But I was always curious about something in Oshkosh that maybe a local might know.  The Town of Oshkosh is north of the Fox River and the Town of Algoma is south of the Fox River, yet in the City of Oshkosh, Algoma Blvd is north of the Fox River and Oshkosh Ave is south of the Fox River.  :hmmm:

Most likely they were named for where they were heading.

Jordanah1

when oshkosh was founded way back in the day (1840-1850's) oshkosh and algoma were compeating towns in the lumber industry. algoma was further upstream (more or less were the oshkosh ave/congress bridge is) in fact the second river crossing in the area was were the current oshkosh ave bridge is, the first was ferry street (now main street). the origional 'Algoma' was anexed in 1856, the current town of algoma is a seperate entity entirely. i could be wrong about some of this, i will try to find a link to some info.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 10, 2012, 04:22:50 PM

I was pondering those same thoughts while I was thinking this over and concluded that the street names are far, far better known by the public at large than are the unincorporated townships, which are, for the most part, unknown outside of the immediate metro area.  I would even challenge anyone from the Appleton area, as far south as Neenah, to describe where Algoma Township in Winnebago County is located.  The City of Algoma (it's on the Lake Michigan lakeshore north of Manitowoc) is far better known by all.

Mike

hobsini2

As per my father (a former resident of Oshkosh) and grandmother (a former archivist at the Oshkosh Public Museum), city of Oshkosh was at one point to become the city of Algoma when the two towns merged but the USPS had said no since there already was a city of Algoma in Wisconsin.  So the city became Oshkosh instead.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on August 10, 2012, 11:31:49 AM
That would indeed be confusing if it's I-41. And AASHTO would never agree. Once you move a U.S. Route to a freeway, you never go back.

US 60 in Louisville disagrees with you.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on August 11, 2012, 03:21:04 PM

When did that move? Was it any time in the past 20 years?

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on August 11, 2012, 03:26:21 PM

When did that move? Was it any time in the past 20 years?

More like 30 years. It's been off the Watterson Expressway (I-264) and back through downtown for a long, long time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

That's why. AASHTO used to be more lax about it.

amroad17

Don't forget about US 117 in NC!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

NE2

Quote from: amroad17 on August 12, 2012, 07:25:00 PM
Don't forget about US 117 in NC!
That's the so-called exception that proves the rule, except that it really does follow the rule, since AASHTO denied the move and NCDOT did it anyway.

on_wisconsin

^
That's very nice and and all. BUT what about US 41 in Wisconsin!?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SSOWorld

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 12, 2012, 08:36:35 PM
^
SMH

Reality - it will be left alone (think about the poor northern terminus in Copper Harbor.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bulldog1979

^

Well, I don't think anything will change. WisDOT may stop signing US 41 along the section that's upgraded to an Interstate, especially if it's numbered I-41, but once the Interstate ends, I fully expect the designation to just "reappear" on the highway. Why can I state that with some confidence? Michigan still has its segment, and I don't see that changing. So long as US 41 runs through the Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor, Wisconsin will have to maintain the number in its state.

vtk

Quote from: mukade on August 09, 2012, 06:25:19 AM
Regardless, I don't recall Indiana ever not working with its neighbors.

I thought I read somewhere that Indiana really dragged its feet getting part of I-94 built, until Michigan sued.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SSOWorld

Quote from: bulldog1979 on August 13, 2012, 02:47:43 PM
^

Well, I don't think anything will change. WisDOT may stop signing US 41 along the section that's upgraded to an Interstate, especially if it's numbered I-41, but once the Interstate ends, I fully expect the designation to just "reappear" on the highway.  Why can I state that with some confidence? Michigan still has its segment, and I don't see that changing. So long as US 41 runs through the Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor, Wisconsin will have to maintain the number in its state.
Not happening. WisDOT will sign them both.  It's in their nature.  How many shields can they put on their one-piece sine salads? No limit.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

GeekJedi

Quote from: Master son on August 13, 2012, 08:16:45 PM
Not happening. WisDOT will sign them both.  It's in their nature.  How many shields can they put on their one-piece sine salads? No limit.

Agreed.  I'd fully expect to see the one piece with North I-41/North US-41 all the way to Abrams if that's the chosen number. WisDOT *loves* sine salads! :-D
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SEWIGuy

Worse, they will likely still keep US-41 running through Milwaukee and downtown instead of simply extending WI-175 to the Stadium interchange....or further south until WI-59.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.