News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Monotubes Everywhere!

Started by rte66man, February 19, 2014, 06:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

The signs for the latest upgrade to the I44/I235 interchange have been erected this past week on eastbound 44.  All the permanent gantries are monotubes. Quite a contrast to the standard sign gantries over the westbound lanes.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Curious. We got four new monotubes down in Norman, too, due to the Canadian River bridge construction. The weird thing is that, the one overhead sign in that project that is on McClain County soil is a traditional cantilever truss. Brand new, and shiny. So maybe ODOT is reserving the monotubes for only urban counties?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

There are monotubes all along the new relocated I-44 in Tulsa.  There is also one on the WB BA.

bugo

Look closely and you can see a monotube in the background here on WB Skelly Drive just east of Peoria:

Another monotube taken from Skelly Drive:

A half monotube:

Note a lack of a US 64 shield in this picture.  US 64 and OK 51 are duplexed where they cross I-44:

Another half:

Another 64less sign:

An infamous Oklahoma JCT sign:

On the east side of Tulsa, approaching Cherokee Curve:

Old US 66:

Approaching the Creek Turnpike and the I-44/US 412 split where you must exit off the main road to stay on I-44:

Scott5114

Those are some pretty ugly signs. At least I-44 looks like less of a pain in the ass to drive now. Did they clean up all the lane drops between the Creek and Hard Rock going west?

I like the Kansas-style "CLOSED" plaque. ODOT usually just sticks a tarp (or a really big plastic bag) over the sign, which looks really cheap.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2014, 01:44:07 PM
I like the Kansas-style "CLOSED" plaque. ODOT usually just sticks a tarp (or a really big plastic bag) over the sign, which looks really cheap.
Better than Germany's red X.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

They haven't touched it between 193rd and the Creek Turnpike.  They are currently widening the 177th bridge.  There are 2 or 3 completed sections along this stretch, but they are only striped for 2 lanes in each direction.  BTW if you're heading east be sure to stay in the left lane through the construction zone because both through lanes will dump you into the offramp to 193rd and to stay on I-44 you have to merge 1 or 2 lanes over.

Henry

Those signs look like something from a video game! :rofl: (Need for Speed, anyone?)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.