News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tulsa's Newest Bridge Over Arkansas River Set To Open

Started by bugo, December 18, 2012, 06:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

http://www.newson6.com/story/20375549/tulsas-newest-bridge-over-arkansas-river-set-to-open

TULSA, Oklahoma -

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation says the new I-244 bridge over the Arkansas River near downtown Tulsa will open by the end of this week.

Once the new bridge opens, ODOT says all 244 traffic will shift onto it and the old bridge will be demolished and rebuilt.

State officials gave the new multi-modal bridge spanning the Arkansas River on westbound I-244 in Tulsa the green light in March 2011.

The Oklahoma Transportation Commission approved a contract with Manhattan Road and Bridge to replace the structurally deficient bridge with a double-decker bridge. The cost of the entire project is $78 million.

ODOT says the new structure will incorporate highway lanes on the top side, with two dedicated future rail lines and an area for bicycle and pedestrian traffic underneath.

The entire project is scheduled to be finished by next summer.

Alps

Would have been nicer to put the cars underneath and the pedestrians on top, like the Brooklyn Bridge. One man's view.

US71

Quote from: Steve on December 18, 2012, 07:00:37 PM
Would have been nicer to put the cars underneath and the pedestrians on top, like the Brooklyn Bridge. One man's view.

Pedestrians on the bottom keeps them from getting rained on ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

It also (usually) means less climbing (and more for motor vehicles). Exception: the George Washington Bridge, where the upper level sidewalk lines up with the top of the bluffs on either side.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

seicer

The bottom level is for pedestrians and railroad tracks - are these tracks being relocated from the adjacent railroad span over the river or for light rail?

rte66man

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on December 19, 2012, 11:06:49 AM
The bottom level is for pedestrians and railroad tracks - are these tracks being relocated from the adjacent railroad span over the river or for light rail?

Future unspecified passenger train tracks. OK has been scheming for a way to restore passenger traffic between Tulsa and OKC.  The existing line is far too twisty to be high speed. 

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.