News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Roadrunner75

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2014, 11:11:49 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 19, 2014, 12:31:54 AM
The Google Maps app is more like the Safari browser version I'm used to.  However, I discovered that I can drop a pin on any road, and then click on the location box to access GSV (unlike Safari which only lets you click a named location).  Unfortunately, it requires a couple of steps, and I don't have the little map available as an inset to see where I'm at while in GSV.  I prefer to see them both as with on the PC to see my direction.  I don't understand why it is so hard for Google to just have the Pegman always displayed in a corner like the PC browser version, so that I can click to see what GSV is available. 
I had no idea you could do that! Thanks for the info. I just tried it around the corner from our house and it took me a minute to understand what I needed to do, but sure enough, when I figured it out, there was my RX-7.

For viewing a single location, that's probably easier than the Earth app, and it uses fewer system resources. Thanks for explaining. I still don't see a way to get a Street View link for use here on the forum, though.
Update:  GSV via the Google Maps app on the Ipad isn't actually that bad.  Nowhere near the PC (via browser), but I've gotten used to it and I can toggle between maps and GSV pretty quickly now.  Didn't see the Street View web link yet though, as also noted above.  If I get that, I'm in business for posting GSV here from the Ipad.

signalman

I was just forced into the new google maps yesterday.  Now I see what all the complaints are about.  What a useless piece of dog shit!  It's absolutely horrible and as soon as I try to move in any direction or zoom in or out it locks up and says it's loading.  What a shame too, I used to love google maps and the ability to drop into street view whenever I wanted; provided it had been driven by the street car.

NE2

Quote from: signalman on October 22, 2014, 04:58:53 PM
I was just forced into the new google maps yesterday.
??? The old one's still there.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Used to be: https://maps.google.com (nothing after it)

Now (for about a week): https://maps.google.com/maps?output=classic&dg=brw

Typing the first one into my address bar will redirect to the second one.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jeffandnicole

I was just forced into the new google maps yesterday.  Now I see what all the complaints are about.  What a useless piece of dog shit!  It's absolutely horrible and as soon as I try to move in any direction or zoom in or out it locks up and says it's loading.  What a shame too, I used to love google maps and the ability to drop into street view whenever I wanted; provided it had been driven by the street car.

In the lower right corner, there's a question mark.  Clicking that will reveal the option "Return to classic Google Maps".  Don't bother checking anything - just click the link.

Alex

FWIW, I noticed today if you search for a county, the county is outlined in white now instead of with hash marks the way city limits are.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on October 22, 2014, 05:29:25 PM
I was just forced into the new google maps yesterday.
??? The old one's still there.

Reminds me of the commercials against expanding bottle deposits to water and juice that use the phrase "forced deposits" in a way that would make as much sense to use in "forced driver's licenses" and "forced stealing ban." 

In any case, yes, Google realizes lots of people aren't falling for it, so it's only fake-forced.

signalman

Thanks for your help, 1 and Jeff.  I didn't realize how easy it was to get back to classic Google Maps.  Of course, I'm not very computer savvy either, despite my not being very old.  It was probably mentioned upthread, but I hadn't been reading this thread since it didn't seem to affect me.  In any case, I appreciate the help and am grateful that I didn't lose what I knew and loved.

Scott5114

You know, some discussion earlier in the thread made me realize that although Google Streetview was the first and is still the gold standard in terms of raw coverage, it would be pretty easy to improve upon. Streetview is plagued with problems like bad stitching between images and ridiculously high false-positive rates on their face-blurring algorithm that make reading some signs (not just guide signs, but things like speed limits and business signs) difficult to impossible. A lot of Google coverage is probably never really viewed, in any case. I'd settle for 100% coverage in urban areas and just state highways outside of them if it meant less stupid blurring.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

I've always wondered why on some roads the Street View image suddenly goes to a grainy black, as though a car were being driven at night with just the parking lights.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2014, 08:26:22 AM
I've always wondered why on some roads the Street View image suddenly goes to a grainy black, as though a car were being driven at night with just the parking lights.

I don't think I've ever seen night street view on any newer higher definition images, but I remember several years ago on my first days on Google Maps, I-24 Westbound in downtown Chattanooga was street view apparently done at night IIRC. I think I had occasionally seen street view done at night in other places, but I haven't seen anything like that in a looong time. One annoying thing was the occasional crappy street view where you could not see anything, and the whole screen looks like a unicorn barfed on the street view car, LOL. In other words, the whole screen had a bunch of rainbow colors and you literally couldn't see anything.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadman65

I hate when they capture the sun blare making it totally blurry do to the bright sun.  Then the ones that use both old and new captions together when you virtually drive along a road to go alternatively between one image to another is one that makes me almost want to scream.

It may suck, but at least it serves its purpose.  I may not like the way you cannot see everything, but something is better than nothing especially when you want to see a place you have not been to ever or in a long time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 25, 2014, 09:36:13 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 25, 2014, 09:04:41 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on September 25, 2014, 07:53:23 PM
I may have found a good Gmaps replacement, HERE maps. They are the people who make the maps for all Garmin devices. Check it out. here.com
If it doesn't have street view, it's not even in the running as a replacement.

I tried it out. I wasn't on there long enough to really check it out, but it has some fairly good maps, and it actually does have street view, and it's the only site I've ever seen that has it besides Google Maps. But you must have Google Chrome to use it, and when you try to get street view, the only available street view I saw was clustered in urban areas across the U.S.

EDIT: Here Maps could possibly be on the rise to become a pretty rad website.

Works in IE11 just fine
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

billtm

NE2

Quote from: billtm on October 27, 2014, 09:53:56 PM
Giant CAT appears on Google Maps - but Google don't know how it got there:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/giant-cat-appears-google-maps-4516293

Lol :bigass:

If you read the article, it's clear how it got there.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on October 27, 2014, 10:50:51 PM
Quote from: billtm on October 27, 2014, 09:53:56 PM
Giant CAT appears on Google Maps - but Google don't know how it got there:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/giant-cat-appears-google-maps-4516293

Lol :bigass:

If you read the article, it's clear how it got there.

And if YOU read the article, it clearly says Google's unsure how it got there. The prior description of the article was accurate.

NE2

Google's probably sure by now. But Hoo's OK with tabloid headlines, so who am I to question them?

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on October 28, 2014, 07:58:17 AM
Google's probably sure by now. But Hoo's OK with tabloid headlines, so who am I to question them?

Do you have some kind of problem that causes you to engage in stupid pissing matches?

Billy F 1988

The person must have been just flat-ass bored as hell to come up with the cat outline...while in Photoshop! It's clearly a hoax deal. Someone clipped a portion of a map, drew the cat on the map itself and advertised it as if there was a giant kitty on GMaps. Look at it again in reality. It's not there. Again, it's a hoax.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

billtm

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 28, 2014, 02:11:39 PM
The person must have been just flat-ass bored as hell to come up with the cat outline...while in Photoshop! It's clearly a hoax deal. Someone clipped a portion of a map, drew the cat on the map itself and advertised it as if there was a giant kitty on GMaps. Look at it again in reality. It's not there. Again, it's a hoax.
Its not there anymore because Google deleted it. You know you can edit Google maps right?

Billy F 1988

Who cares about editing in GMaps? The functionality is crummy at best. Perhaps that said person used GMaps itself to draw the cat, but it still was Photoshopped in some fashion with the screen capture and crop. As long as I'm around, the GMaps cat is as good as dead. Nine lives my bucket of bolts (to put it nicely)!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

kj3400

Are we really getting mad over a digital drawing of a cat?
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kj3400 on October 28, 2014, 05:26:58 PM

I don't think so.

NE2

vdeane

Quote from: kj3400 on October 28, 2014, 05:26:58 PM
I think he's getting mad over the existence of print screen and image cropping.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.