News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Year's wishes for AARoads

Started by dcbjms, December 30, 2016, 11:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcbjms

Hi, guys,

I know I haven't been on this forum much (lots of things going on as of late, including my laptop acting up yet again and - finally! - getting a new job) and I was not as active as I'd like to be, but I would like to thank you guys for providing this creative space.  I also hope your Christmas or Hanukkah went well and I'd like to extend New Year's wishes from my neck of the woods to all of you.  Happy travels.

jeffandnicole

roadman

Thanks for the good wishes dcbjms, and a Happy New Year to you as well.  Speaking of such, the best "It's now New Years Day" notice I ever saw was several years ago.  Back in the pre-digital days, one of the local UHF stations in Boston routinely showed Three Stooges shorts on New Years Eve from 6 pm to 2 am the following morning.  One year, they showed all Curley shorts, with the exception of one Joe Besser short - the one where Moe and Larry got paid $10 million for a photo of an UFO that turned out to be fake.  The scene in that episode where their aunt throws an empty champagne bottle into the fireplace, which was already full of other empty champagne bottles, came on exactly at midnight - with "Happy New Year" imposed on the bottom of the screen for exactly one minute.

BTW, that same station (Channel 38, which is now part of the CBS Boston conglomerate) still runs the Three Stooges marathons every New Years Eve.  Sadly, however, the marathons are a mere shadow of their former selves, as the commercials and the co-hosts talking to each other occupy more time than the actual shorts do.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

dcbjms

I remember that - we used to get the Boston station on our local cable system alongside the Providence ones.  Then Cox Cable decided to get all snooty and removed all the Boston stations (including PBS!) for a while.  Both 'GBH 2 and 'GBH 44 eventually returned, but all the others are now gone, even ch38.  Though now that WHDH-TV ch7 is becoming an independent all-news station, I'm wondering if both Cox and Verizon FiOS will pick it back up again.  I wouldn't know - I don't have cable or satellite TV anyway, but when we occasionally get Boston stations via the bunny ears I occasionally prefer watching channel 7 alongside PBS.  So I know what you mean about the Three Stooges marathons - I agree those were amazing.

PHLBOS

I remember those Stooges New Year's marathons on WSBK (TV-38) back in my college years (mid-80s).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.