News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What is the point of Freedent?

Started by bandit957, January 03, 2017, 11:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Freedent is a brand of gum that's not supposed to stick to dentures or other dental work. But seriously, do any other brands of gum actually stick? Seems to me that saliva would prevent gum from sticking inside your mouth anyway. I've never gotten Snickers bars stuck to my fillings, so I'm pretty sure any kind of gum would be safe - thus eliminating Freedent's advantage.

Does anyone actually chew Freedent? It's readily available in any store, but you never see people buying or chewing it. People I know who have dentures chew other kinds of gum such as Dubble Bubble or Fruit Stripe.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SP Cook

I had braces as a kid as did my daughter.  The DDS was very clear to not chew gum, eat things like carmel or taffy and the like.  I think that is the inteded market.  I do not have dentures but I am under the impression that modern adhesives are much better than previous ones, so it is not the issue it used to be.

Scott5114

You like gum a lot, don't you, Tim?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bandit957

Quote from: SP Cook on January 03, 2017, 01:02:06 PM
I had braces as a kid as did my daughter.  The DDS was very clear to not chew gum, eat things like carmel or taffy and the like.  I think that is the inteded market.  I do not have dentures but I am under the impression that modern adhesives are much better than previous ones, so it is not the issue it used to be.

I'm surprised that any device or appliance designed to go inside patients' mouths isn't built to withstand gum.

SP Cook

Quote from: bandit957 on January 04, 2017, 09:00:23 AM

I'm surprised that any device or appliance designed to go inside patients' mouths isn't built to withstand gum.

Well, braces are glued onto your teeth.  Temporarially.  The glue has to be weak enough that the DDS can remove them when the time comes.  I'm sure they could make something that could withstand gum, but then how would they get it off without pulling your tooth? 

jeffandnicole

I was told not to eat corn on the cob either when I had braces.

Frankly, while I chewed gum fairly often when I was young, it's extremely rare for me to chew it now.

hbelkins

I thought Freedent was sugar-free and thus intended for diabetics or others who want to limit their sugar intake.

I was a heavy Dentyne chewer way back in the day. It's been ages since I've chewed gum.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

I thought it was Orbit that was sugar-free.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bandit957

Almost every brand the local Kroger sells now is sugar-free - even brands like Juicy Fruit that used to contain sugar.

A friend was very disappointed recently that she couldn't find gum at Kroger.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.