News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Any Runners?

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 20, 2017, 12:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Since there was a bike riding thread that was just created why not a running thread also?   I do about 1,700-2,000 miles a year as part of my exercise routine and I have a couple marathons under my belt.  I've been running for close to 25 years now and haven't had really any significant leg injuries...been hit twice though.  I prefer outdoor due to the full impact and don't really use anything beyond standard Nike running shoes in addition to a good 20-32oz bottle of Poweraid.  Right now my routine is three run days at distances of; 13.3 miles, 13.3 miles, and a shorter 8 miles to close the week out.  Really as of late I've noticed that it has helped a ton with not getting elevation sickness, especially after those two big trips I did last year in the Rockies and Colorado Plateau.

I do three days of strength training as well and focus mainly on calve muscles more than anything else with legs.  I've kind of found it is the people don't do the strength training that are the ones who getting hurt in general with cardio activity.  I still prefer running over biking because it takes about 3.5 miles a bike to do what you can on one mile on foot outside.  I have a Fitbit but the thing hasn't transmitted in a year and I use it mainly to see my distance, I used to use Google Maps prior to create routed go over by a quarter mile because the accuracy was questionable.

So I guess the questions are this....are there any other runners out there?  If so, what are you routines, preferred training methods, what type of running shoe do you use, how to you handle dehydration, ect? 

inkyatari

I had started to run, but my knees wouldn't have it, plus after foot surgery, I really can't run anymore.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm also a runner. I run all kinds of races, from asphalt to trail, and also orienteering races. The latter involve punching a series of controls marked on a map that is given just before the start. I run with a group on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and we also do some technique in addition to running.

And I also like charity running. Currently I run for the Dravet Syndrome Foundation, its delegation in Spain has formed the largest charity team in the World, and their distintive purple t-shirts are known across the country. They even have been to the NYC Marathon!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kurumi

I've done a few 5K's. Doing a race is fun; running with friends is fun; training alone is still a chore.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

I always had a hard time training with other people, even from the get-go when I first started.  Back in the early days exercise wasn't much of a thing for anyone who didn't play sports in High School, especially in the Mid-west.  When I started to get pretty good at running, it was because I was training for POST academy requirements which I believe was something like 12:40 time on a 1.5 mile run and something like 44-48 minutes on the 5 mile.  I guess it was all more an individual thing for me in one form or fashion, incidentally I didn't have an MP3 player until a couple years ago to listen to music.  I guess that's why I like outdoor running though, there is a lot more to see and you can certainly learn a city grid pretty well.  When I was living in Florida I had a really cool Sunday route that took me through downtown and Lake Eola past the city skyline.

jwolfer

I ran track in high school. 800m was my main event. Most of my exercise is yoga nowadays, 3-4 nights a week.

My buddy in Orlando used to do tough mudders.  We have talked about training to do one together. Of course we would train separately. But they look like fun

LGMS428

hbelkins

If my body is ever found by a running/jogging track or trail, it's 100 percent certain that I was killed elsewhere and dumped there.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on February 21, 2017, 08:56:43 AM
If my body is ever found by a running/jogging track or trail, it's 100 percent certain that I was killed elsewhere and dumped there.  :bigass:

Me too, I always hated the rubbery surface and running around in circles.  It was almost as bad as a treadmill.

Eth

I've been running for about five years, now averaging around 550-700 miles a year. Most of that is in the winter (well, inasmuch as "winter" is still a thing) because anything more than 3-5 miles a pop in the summer is unbearable here and I'd rather not run at all than deal with the treadmill. I usually do about four or five races of varying distances each year and just finished my first marathon a couple weeks ago. When I'm not training for something, it's a fairly light load: 3-4 miles on Wednesday (with a group), 4-5 on Saturday (with a group), and sometimes another 3-4 on Monday (usually solo).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Eth on February 21, 2017, 06:11:07 PM
I've been running for about five years, now averaging around 550-700 miles a year. Most of that is in the winter (well, inasmuch as "winter" is still a thing) because anything more than 3-5 miles a pop in the summer is unbearable here and I'd rather not run at all than deal with the treadmill. I usually do about four or five races of varying distances each year and just finished my first marathon a couple weeks ago. When I'm not training for something, it's a fairly light load: 3-4 miles on Wednesday (with a group), 4-5 on Saturday (with a group), and sometimes another 3-4 on Monday (usually solo).

Aside from being hit by a car the only other time I have ever been in the hospital for anything running related was in Florida.  A couple years ago before I moved back to the West Coast I was on a distance run on a Sunday morning.  Basically my route was 14.4 miles through downtown which wasn't too unusual.  Mind you this is August and when I got started it was 80F at 4:30 AM at 98% humidity.  Between the Poweraid and water that I refilled with in city parks I must have consumed 120-140oz during that run...it was about as nasty out as it sounds.  I get home and I was feeling find for awhile, maybe a good hour. 

When I took the dog out I suddenly started feeling light headed and had a hard time standing up.  Basically I knew that I was dehydrated so I went inside and laid down on the couch for an hour sipping more Poweraid.  10 AM started to roll around and I wasn't feeling much better, so I clamber over to the car and drive up to a Urgent Care that was open weekends.  I actually started to feel a little better when I got to the doctor's office.

Apparently I was down 8 pounds off my normal weight when they weighed me at the CentraCare.  The doctor did an EKG and after getting the results asked me if I had ever had heart issues.  Apparently my heart was going absolutely nuts on the EKG and there was no previous baseline to go off of.  The doctor then tells me that in most normal circumstances he would have called 911 to take me to the ER but he was pretty sure I was just dehydrated. 

Basically this ends up with me driving to the ER a couple blocks over on Lake Underhill Road.  I think that I had 2-3 EKGs in the ER and finally the result came back that I was okay, just badly dehydrated.  Absolutely scared the crap out of me, had me going for a little bit that I was having some sort of heart issue.  I never once had anything like that happen in Arizona, California, Nevada, or New Mexico...it was really that damn humidity that was basically sapping all the fluids out of me.  From that point on I drank 52oz of Poweraid before a half marathon distance run, now I'm back to 20oz here plus another 10oz in water. 

That humidity is absolute hell on earth, I'd take 130F dry in the desert any time over it.  Aside from the hour of consuming fluids before a distance run I also had to apply talco powder and petroleum jelly so I would get ring worm or friction burns.  The southeast is probably the most miserable place I've ever lived for summer weather much less for running.  After that I capped my distance to 10 miles if the temperature exceeded 70F.

adventurernumber1

Before health issues, I used to be a very fast runner. I could do long-distance running, but I was best at sprinting. I did involve myself in a couple of triathlons back in 2011 and 2012 IIRC, and I did some long-distance running there. However, it certainly was not my strong area. I did much better with the swimming and especially with the biking. I struggled tremendously with the long-distance running. As a result of that, I walked most of the time rather than running.

There were a couple of short marathons I tried when I was younger, but I lost motivation and energy and gave up on both of them.

Since I am better at sprinting than long-distance running, I never tried out for cross-country, but I did try out for the track team in 6th grade and 7th grade. I didn't actually make the team either year, however. As a result, I simply did not try out at all in 8th grade.

I actually personally find riding a bicycle to be a little more enjoyable than running, even if the running is short and fast. As a result, the majority of the exercise I have done in recent years has been biking, with just a little bit of running. However, my exercise has been minimal ever since June 2014, as I have developed health issues. It is unfortunately a vicious cycle, because my health issues have made it harder to exercise, but not exercising has made my health issues worse. Hopefully I can start running and doing other forms of exercise more, and after this hell they call Junior Year of High School (11th Grade) ends, I plan to do so.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

epzik8

My mom has been a runner for over 40 years. She goes on runs around the neighborhood almost every day. She's competed in several Baltimore and Myrtle Beach half-marathons, and also she did a full marathon in Baltimore a few years ago.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

CanesFan27

I did a lot of running from about 2009-14 and that then included triathlons from 2011-14.  I got up to the Olympic distance before kids, work and grad school really took over.  When I was training for the Olympic trip- I was going 5-6x a week of running, swimming and biking. Some days doing what's known as a brick.  I enjoyed it a lot especially the time in the pool.

Like Eth, the humidity here can be a bear in the summer so I did a lot of early morning runs.  My goal was/is to do a half Ironman but I'm not sure if that'll happen now.  I have to admit I wish I started it a few years earlier - there are some pretty cool destination races that I'd love to have done. But who knows.

Max Rockatansky

So figured I'll touch on this since I brought up the topic.  So apparently I have a torn left Achilles Tendon which I think that I can trace back to running down and back uphill for almost a full mile on a 15% grade in the Sherman Tree Trail in Sequoia National Park.  My tendon was twitchy the next day but wasn't anything that I thought was unusual.  Come the 16th I ran my standard distance run and the tendon became extremely sore.   I've actually never had anything like this happen before so I wasn't sure what it was and rested for two days.  I ran on the 19th pretty much fine but it got really sore again on the 20th with some significant aching.  An aching in a tendon isn't too dissimilar to a torn muscle aching but the feeling is really off-putting.  So I went into the doctor and they confirmed via X-Ray that I likely had a mild to moderate Achilles Tendon pull.

Now this is where things get interesting, turns out I might also have bone spurs in my left heel.  Basically that could be the cause of the tear as it may have cut into the tendon slightly.  I guess at some point I'll need to probably get the spurs removed but there is no certainty that  Basically I got a heavy dosage of Ibuprofen and was told that they would send the X-Rays to a local Othropedic Doctor to access if they thought I needed an MRI.  I gradually started to feel better and did a small 3 mile run on a flat surface on the 27th with no issues.  The next day I climbed the stairway at Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park...again no issues.

Which brings me to today, I decided to try what is generally a short run for me which would have been between 7-8 miles.  The first 5 miles were on a flat surface and I wasn't having any pain or really anything too worrisome other than my shoe felt weird.  When I hit the last two miles there was a lot of elevation changes and the soreness came back.  I pulled in at home at 7.1 miles and took a couple pain pills along with icing the tendon once an hour.  I have full range right now with some aching but minimal pain, nothing quite as severe as what I described before.

I wasn't really given clear timetable for recovery on an Achilles Tendon.  It seems from everything I've read today that it normally takes 4-6 weeks given the size of the tendon and low blood flow generally slowing the tissue healing.  I'll probably go back to the doctor for a referral to an Othropedic Doctor but in the mean time I'll probably let the rest period run the course without running.  That really sucks because I was on pace for something like 103 Half Marathons this year too...

Basically the tendon gets tender whenever I try to elevate my left foot for any extended period of time.  I would venture a guess that on a flat surface I would likely be fine in short intervals...but that being the case I really don't want to try it again without some reassurances from a doctor.  That being the case I took up indoor rowing last week and shifted in more upper body exercises which was about the only things I could think to do that would affect my left foot. 

Worst case scenario seems to be surgery which would include a 4-6 month window for a full recovery and maybe some minor rehab.  The good news is that I didn't rupture the tendon, but regardless it still sucks being out of commission for anything other than light cardio exercises.  I guess the lesson for me is to diversify the cardio activity which I've started to do so with the Rower but maybe also a good performance bike also. 

Really I don't think my upcoming road trip to the Southeast will be affected all that much given I was planning on resting anyways.  I guess that if I was going to impart any advice to anyone who is a runner or is looking into getting into it would be...AVOID RUNNING UPHILL...especially sustained on stupid high grades like I did.   I'll probably post an update here now and then as things progress.

Roadgeekteen

I'm the oposite of a runner :spin: :spin:.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2017, 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 30, 2017, 04:21:18 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2017, 04:18:51 PM

I don't get it.
I don't like physical activity.

I really didn't either until roughly your age.  I had some nasty asthma as a kid which really held me back from team sports until Middle School.  I picked up running when I was 18 more or less because I had to make sure that I could be quick enough for PE tests on Police Physical Agility exams in Arizona.  I actually got pretty good at it over enough time and decided to keep up with it over the years.  I had a torn MCL on my left knee last year that took about a week and a half to feel better. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 30, 2017, 04:30:46 PM

I don't get it.

I really didn't either until roughly your age.  I had some nasty asthma as a kid which really held me back from team sports until Middle School.  I picked up running when I was 18 more or less because I had to make sure that I could be quick enough for PE tests on Police Physical Agility exams in Arizona.  I actually got pretty good at it over enough time and decided to keep up with it over the years.  I had a torn MCL on my left knee last year that took about a week and a half to feel better.
I am bad at running. Like really bad. It took me 13 minutes to run one mile.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2017, 04:23:06 PMI don't like physical activity.
Now I picture you as the typical fat American kid (much like Noelbotevera), no offense intended.

Back in early April I got a new personal best in 10K (6.2 miles) at 55:13. I did so at the Zaragoza marathon, where a 10K was run alongside the marathon itself. Now I've entered another 10K which is scheduled at the end of May.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bing101

I like to run and jog on American River Parkway in Sacramento and the Embarcadero in San Francisco. They were great when I last did them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 30, 2017, 04:42:57 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2017, 04:23:06 PMI don't like physical activity.
Now I picture you as the typical fat American kid (much like Noelbotevera), no offense intended.

Back in early April I got a new personal best in 10K (6.2 miles) at 55:13. I did so at the Zaragoza marathon, where a 10K was run alongside the marathon itself. Now I've entered another 10K which is scheduled at the end of May.
I might be one.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2017, 04:32:37 PM

I don't get it.

It's not like people are automatically good at running or physical activity right off the bat.  It takes practice, but really unless someone has a medical condition or is extremely overweight that they can't build up to an 8 minute mile.  The toughest standard back in Arizona in those days was 12:40 the mile and a half with Phoenix PD which really isn't all that bad.  I want to say DPS (highway patrol) was 15:42. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 30, 2017, 04:58:17 PM

I don't get it.

It's not like people are automatically good at running or physical activity right off the bat.  It takes practice, but really unless someone has a medical condition or is extremely overweight that they can't build up to an 8 minute mile.  The toughest standard back in Arizona in those days was 12:40 the mile and a half with Phoenix PD which really isn't all that bad.  I want to say DPS (highway patrol) was 15:42.
The thing is, I don't have any urge to get better.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2017, 05:04:19 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 30, 2017, 04:58:17 PM

I don't get it.

The thing is, I don't have any urge to get better.

I would suspect that is probably the case for most people, nothing wrong with that especially if you don't want a career that might entail some sort of physical demand.

Quote from: bing101 on April 30, 2017, 04:44:32 PM
I like to run and jog on American River Parkway in Sacramento and the Embarcadero in San Francisco. They were great when I last did them.

I did a little bit of the American River Parkway last year when I was staying in Sacramento.  I even managed to swing south a little bit to Old Sacramento which made it much easier to get to than slogging a car through there.  I also was just in San Francisco a couple months back and ran from Baker Beach across the Golden Gate Bridge.  I also did a quick lap from the hotel up Lombard Street over to the Aquatic Park Pier.  Both were really fun but San Francisco took the cake given how much of the city you can see on foot.  Nobody gives you stink eye for picking up food from a Subway type place in running gear also.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 30, 2017, 04:42:57 PM

I've done the Rock and Roll Arizona Marathon a couple times in both the 13.1 and 26.2 configurations.  It was kind of nice since it went by my house and the girl I was dating at the time would come hang out on the course spare 32oz bottles of Gatoraid.  Usually I do the half in about 110 minutes and double that for the full marathon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.