News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Burger King to buy Popeye's

Started by golden eagle, February 21, 2017, 08:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

nexus73

Funny thing about the deal is that the capital investment company is Brazilian.  Remember when a Belgian company bought Anheuser Busch?  A Chinese company acquiring Volvo? 

That said, Popeye's is a non-presence in Oregon other than a few in the Portland area with one in Salem.  Why has no one stepped up and invested some moolah in a series of downstate franchises?  Are they chicken of KFC?  LOL! 

When I lived in Louisiana, the chain had crawfish etouffe on the menu.  It disappeared sooner than later unfortunately.  Were Popeye's to get more serious about REALLY doing business, they would blow Kentucky Fried Rat out of the water and give the ENTIRE nation a taste of Louisiana goodness! 

My last visit to one in PDX resulted in what was listed on the menu online not being available at the store.  Sad!  I do give a thumbs up for their spicy mustard dip, which is so exceptional that if it were available in a store, I would buy it.  Too bad the past owners were never intelligent enough to grasp the opportunity.  You can go to the grocery store and find plenty of goods from other major food chains out there so this concept is not exactly reinventing the wheel. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

noelbotevera

Popeye's was one of the best fast food chains. Seriously, their iced tea and chicken, you can name any item on a Popeye's menu, and it is GUARANTEED to be delicious.

Shame Burger King is taking it over. I've tried them once or twice, and the food was good, but nowhere near Popeye's quality.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Henry

Quote from: golden eagle on February 21, 2017, 08:34:48 PM
Love that chicken from Burger King?
More like, Have it Your Way at Popeyes? :-D

So I'm guessing that they will be twinned, like KFC, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers and A&W are with each other nowadays? It'll be interesting to see where the deal goes from here. And the fact that Popeyes is a main sponsor of the NFL is a big plus, meaning more national expansion to come.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 22, 2017, 12:41:04 AM
Shame Burger King is taking it over. I've tried them once or twice, and the food was good, but nowhere near Popeye's quality.

It's not Burger King taking Popeye's over.  It's the parent company of Burger King (and Tim Hortons) taking Popeye's over.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

I'm waiting for the Creepy Burger King meme as per custom with anything Burger King related news wise.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Henry on February 22, 2017, 09:48:54 AM

So I'm guessing that they will be twinned, like KFC, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers and A&W are with each other nowadays? It'll be interesting to see where the deal goes from here. And the fact that Popeyes is a main sponsor of the NFL is a big plus, meaning more national expansion to come.

Doubt it.  BK and Popeyes can hold their own, and I will think they will remain separate stores.  This deal allows BK to diversify into the fried chicken market, which is huge.

If you go higher up into BK's ownership, you'll see that Burger King, Dunkin Donuts and Domino's Pizza are all related as well.

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 10:28:54 AM
I'm waiting for the Creepy Burger King meme as per custom with anything Burger King related news wise.
I tried to find a gif of him doing the "hold on" gesture to post here, but came up short.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on February 22, 2017, 11:26:21 AM
I tried to find a gif of him doing the "hold on" gesture to post here, but came up short.

I had a look through Meme Generator last night and didn't see anything related to the story.  There was one for "wake up with the king" that said "where is your god now?"  That got a laugh out of me. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 11:28:47 AM
Quote from: Takumi on February 22, 2017, 11:26:21 AM

I had a look through Meme Generator last night and didn't see anything related to the story.  There was one for "wake up with the king" that said "where is your god now?"  That got a laugh out of me. 

Burger King doesn't offer the same joke-punch as Taco Bell, [un?]fortunately.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GCrites

If they do that, I hope they don't force Burger Kings dull fries with Popeye's food instead of Popeye's seasoned fries. The LJS KFC combo stores in my area force potato wedges on you even if you order Long John Silver's food. I hate that.

sparker

If the new ownership can address the site-to-site variability of Popeye's outlets, that'll be a good thing!  When I lived down in Hesperia several years back, the two Popeye's outlets (1 in Hesperia off I-15 and the other in Victorville) were, to put it mildly, not places I'd go to twice -- excess grease in the chicken itself (possible undercooking?), soggy fries (both regular & seasoned), and, to top it off, almost hostile service.  Up here in the San Jose area the outlet I've been to is quite good.  I have no idea if the individual stores are company-owned a la In-N-Out, or franchised (like most FF chains).  Either way, the parent company management needs to maintain/enforce some sort of QA.  The basic Popeye's concept is just fine -- if follow-through is applied!

bandit957

Why does the government allow this?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bandit957 on February 22, 2017, 09:43:44 PM

Because it isn't illegal, not like we're talking US Steel or Standard Oil style trust busting.

sparker

It's not like a merger of fast-food chains is unique in the 21st Century; the acquisition of multiple vendors in a single sector by investment groups/hedge funds has become commonplace (European capital groups seem to be the biggest players in the field).  The fast-food sector is only one of many to be so affected; home electronics/specialty (high-end) audio and video  has seen a recent spate of mergers; companies formerly bitter rivals are now often under the same corporate umbrella (e.g. McIntosh & Audio Research).  And to think that the merger of Carl's Jr. and Hardees back in the very early 2000's was considered a bold move!

ixnay

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 09:51:40 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on February 22, 2017, 09:43:44 PM

Because it isn't illegal, not like we're talking US Steel or Standard Oil style trust busting.

Plus, it's a parent firm based in Canada, which is beyond the reach of U.S. antimonopoly authorities, right?

Trust?  Did someone say trust?!?!?  Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yYchgX1fMw (song begins at 0:23)   :biggrin:

ixnay

nexus73

Quote from: sparker on February 22, 2017, 09:02:39 PM
If the new ownership can address the site-to-site variability of Popeye's outlets, that'll be a good thing!  When I lived down in Hesperia several years back, the two Popeye's outlets (1 in Hesperia off I-15 and the other in Victorville) were, to put it mildly, not places I'd go to twice -- excess grease in the chicken itself (possible undercooking?), soggy fries (both regular & seasoned), and, to top it off, almost hostile service.  Up here in the San Jose area the outlet I've been to is quite good.  I have no idea if the individual stores are company-owned a la In-N-Out, or franchised (like most FF chains).  Either way, the parent company management needs to maintain/enforce some sort of QA.  The basic Popeye's concept is just fine -- if follow-through is applied!

I saw the same deal with Church's Fried Chicken in Louisiana.  There needs to be QC!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

oscar

Quote from: ixnay on February 23, 2017, 07:24:43 AM
Plus, it's a parent firm based in Canada, which is beyond the reach of U.S. antimonopoly authorities, right?

Nope. It's routine for the Federal antitrust agencies to challenge acquisitions by foreign companies that affect U.S. markets. I occasionally worked on such matters before I retired from one of those agencies.

Not that necessarily would be an issue of cornering fried chicken markets here.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cl94

Quote from: GCrites80s on February 22, 2017, 08:14:56 PM

If they do that, I hope they don't force Burger Kings dull fries with Popeye's food instead of Popeye's seasoned fries. The LJS KFC combo stores in my area force potato wedges on you even if you order Long John Silver's food. I hate that.

I was thinking more along the lines of they'd introduce Burger King fries at standalone Popeyes locations, but I sure as hell hope not.

That being said, I don't think we're gonna have co-branded locations. When Wendy's and Timmy Ho's were owned by the same company, they built a ton of co-branded locations. I don't see co-branded BK and Timmy Ho's locations sprouting up, so why would we have Popeyes co-branded locations? McDonald's didn't co-brand when they owned Chipotle, Boston Market and Donatos.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jp the roadgeek

The only co-branding that might make sense is offering Timmy's coffee at Burger King.  Burger King never really had a distinct coffee line of its own like McDonald's has developed, so why not offer a sister brand's coffee?  And if they did, would they bring the "Roll up the Rim" promotion with it?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

oscar

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 23, 2017, 09:26:44 PM
The only co-branding that might make sense is offering Timmy's coffee at Burger King.  Burger King never really had a distinct coffee line of its own like McDonald's has developed, so why not offer a sister brand's coffee?  And if they did, would they bring the "Roll up the Rim" promotion with it?

I would much rather Tim's coffee (I don't drink coffee) be offered along with its breakfast offerings (which I love) and other food, in more freestanding Tim's stores in the U.S. than the thin strip along the border from the Great Lakes eastward.

I would've been OK with the Tim's/BK merger -- even the do-it-yourself corporate tax reform angle -- except for the fear that it would dampen the incentive to open more freestanding Tim's stores in the U.S., in favor of opening only in BKs Tim Jortons Expresses (coffee and some sugary baked goods only, like I've seen in some Northern general merchandise stores in the Canadian Arctic). I'm not sure adding fried chicken places to the Tim's corporate empire would hurt, but it almost certainly won't help.

cl94

Tim Horton's Express is quite common in Upstate New York, particularly in areas without a large amount of freestanding locations. Mirabito has one in most locations with a full store.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ixnay

Quote from: oscar on February 23, 2017, 12:56:42 PM

Nope. It's routine for the Federal antitrust agencies to challenge acquisitions by foreign companies that affect U.S. markets. I occasionally worked on such matters before I retired from one of those agencies.

Then perhaps you can answer these questions:  Are Ottawa's antitrust regulations as stringent as Washington's?  Is it routine for Canada's antitrust agencies to challenge acquisitions by foreign companies that affect Canadian markets?  How about other countries?

ixnay

cjk374

Quote from: nexus73 on February 23, 2017, 12:44:46 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 22, 2017, 09:02:39 PM

I saw the same deal with Church's Fried Chicken in Louisiana.  There needs to be QC!

Rick

Church's chicken is absolutely nasty. I ain't sure there is any kind of QC that can help them. Chicken so greasy that it will soak through the cardboard box, soak any upholstery it is in contact with, & burn the hand holding said box.

I hope they don't change the fries either. But I don't see this as a consolidation/standardization merger. (I know nothing about a Tim Horton's. So I will mostly be referring to BK & Popeye's) I believe each company will have their own individual food vendors, soda vendors & other suppliers. Each company will be expected to operate at a profit...and as long as they do, the parent company may leave them alone. If they don't turn a profit, then RB, Inc. will step in & make changes.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

oscar

Quote from: ixnay on February 24, 2017, 06:46:55 AM
Quote from: oscar on February 23, 2017, 12:56:42 PM

Then perhaps you can answer these questions:  Are Ottawa's antitrust regulations as stringent as Washington's?  Is it routine for Canada's antitrust agencies to challenge acquisitions by foreign companies that affect Canadian markets?  How about other countries?

Can't speak to other countries' antitrust rules. As it relates to the subject at hand, it's not clear that there would be Canadian interest in fried chicken store acquisitions in the U.S. by Tim Hortons or its affiliated firms. If there's a problem, it's ours and not theirs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.