Unusual Hobbies (other than Roadgeekery)

Started by vtk, August 03, 2012, 09:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I've started to take a mild interest in Mexican area codes. The most interesting thing to me so far is that many area codes straddle state lines, presumably in locations where a small locale is more culturally tied to a town in a neighboring state than any within the state. I haven't yet mapped them out in enough detail to say for sure that's the reasoning. Yet. (I actually spent quite some time on the computer downstairs today, preparing rudimentary maps for future refinements in this study.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Desert Man

Best. commercial. ever. (musical! artistic! and from the Philippines in the 1990s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzv1R_6tIdY

Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

noelbotevera

Mine is checking out the Abandoned Oklahoma site. Seen abandoned stuff on the road and wanna visit it. (I usually tell my parents who are driving and say "That sign is faded! It doesn't apply anymore!")

sammi

ctsignguy

i can add one more collection on my list....old calculators from the 1970s into the early 80s.....the ones with the LED displays....

The early calculators came out in my junior and high-school days, and kids could spend hours playing with the displays of TI, HP, Commodore and other brands....

Still have my first calculator too...an old Criag that cost me $175 in 1972 and did the basic four functions...and used a LOT of AA batteries!.
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Bluenoser

Speaking of unusual hobbies...I'm one of those strange creatures called TV Guide-ologists (collectors, in other words  :)). Most of my collection is Canada/US, but I've got some from Mexico, the UK, Australia, and some European countries...I collect both TVGs and supplements, I also post listings from them on my blog at tvlistingsarchive.blogspot.ca (Canadian URL, it may be blogspot.com south of the border).

texaskdog

I found an X-Men book that has a bunch of issues from the early 80s (albeit printed in black & white).  Kitty of course was 14 and Peter was 19 and yeah a crush would be okay but they are always kissing.  Professor X apparently has no problem with this.  The last one I read her parents were transferring her out.  I wonder why lol but dang where were the morals back then?

Thanks Wikipedia I wasn't the only one:  Kitty expressed a romantic love interest in Colossus early into her time with the X-Men. This did not sit well with Marvel Comics' editor-in-chief at the time, Jim Shooter, who disapproved of the suggestion that a nineteen-year-old boy was sleeping with a fourteen-year-old girl.[54] Kitty had in fact directly propositioned Colossus in Uncanny X-Men #165, when they were both infected with Brood embryos and seemingly doomed to die: Kitty, aware of the taboo of their romantic relationship, made the plea that if she were older it would not be a problem, but Colossus refused–offering only a passionate kiss–saying "However, little one, you are not older". This did not stop the relationship from continuing, as the two were spotted once again passionately kissing in an apparent formalization of their romantic involvement.[55]

....I guess pedophilia wasn't touched upon in comics back then.

US71

Quote from: texaskdog on July 18, 2016, 08:33:17 AM
I found an X-Men book that has a bunch of issues from the early 80s (albeit printed in black & white).  Kitty of course was 14 and Peter was 19 and yeah a crush would be okay but they are always kissing.  Professor X apparently has no problem with this.  The last one I read her parents were transferring her out.  I wonder why lol but dang where were the morals back then?

Thanks Wikipedia I wasn't the only one:  Kitty expressed a romantic love interest in Colossus early into her time with the X-Men. This did not sit well with Marvel Comics' editor-in-chief at the time, Jim Shooter, who disapproved of the suggestion that a nineteen-year-old boy was sleeping with a fourteen-year-old girl.[54] Kitty had in fact directly propositioned Colossus in Uncanny X-Men #165, when they were both infected with Brood embryos and seemingly doomed to die: Kitty, aware of the taboo of their romantic relationship, made the plea that if she were older it would not be a problem, but Colossus refused–offering only a passionate kiss–saying "However, little one, you are not older". This did not stop the relationship from continuing, as the two were spotted once again passionately kissing in an apparent formalization of their romantic involvement.[55]

It has gone beyond "kissing" since then :o
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vtk

Quote from: texaskdog on July 18, 2016, 08:33:17 AM
I found an X-Men book that has a bunch of issues from the early 80s (albeit printed in black & white).  Kitty of course was 14 and Peter was 19 and yeah a crush would be okay but they are always kissing.  Professor X apparently has no problem with this. 

Attraction to a 14 year old girl isn't pedophilia. At that age she's most of the way through puberty, biologically mostly an adult. Culturally, emotionally, maturity-wise, it's another matter, as our modern ideas of adulthood & maturity make that distinction take longer to attain. So we call this attraction ephebophilia.

My brother was 19 when he developed a romantic relationship with his roommate's 15-year-old sister. Unwise? Probably. Her family nearly pressed charges. But now they're married and have seven kids...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Max Rockatansky

And the very reason I never really got into comic books emerges....or anime...weird ass $#!+.  Thankfully it gets toned down on the movie screen or at least the stuff that is actually not creepy gets kept unless it serves a purpose.

I was going to say exploration of ghost towns and mines...but damn that seems mundane now.

Desert Man

1980s Afrikaans-language South African TV commercials (they're of mainly good quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNmIsaRRtA
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

national highway 1

One piece swimsuits - the competition style suits, e.g. Speedo, Arena, TYR, Funkita, etc.

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Desert Man

At night on a Los Angeles area AM radio, except KFWB 980 switched to Spanish, clashing with 990 and 1000 also in Spanish. I think 770 AM was WABC New York city, which is rare for east coast radio to reach this far away. And a variety of news, talk, music of many genres and languages (660 AM is in Navajo from their reservation in AZ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErDCRc1bdms&t=1s

CNGL-Leudimin

Lots of "invalid" frequencies for me in that radio, as here the AM band goes in 9 kHz increments rather than 10. For example, the closest "valid" frequency to that of KIRN-AM (670) is 666 :evilgrin:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

OracleUsr

Was an anime fan for a long time...just can't get into it any more.

My hobby besides roadgeeking?  Lighthouses.  Enjoy going to new ones, even visited a few (or actually passed a few) in British Columbia three years ago.  Inner Passage between mainland BC and Vancouver Island (Victoria) has quite a few.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

kurumi

Languages and grammar; currently Japanese (JLPT N4); while family members collect Pokemon I collect Kanji in my flashcard app.

Music: composing, theory, prog, jazz, karaoke

Large construction machinery, cranes, etc ("cranespotting")

Cycling, hiking

Photography

Creatures: both fictional monsters and "real monsters" (tardigrade, opabinia, siphonophore, cordyceps, etc.)

These are all mainly non-collecting hobbies. But in the past I did collect maps, coins and Lovecraft anthologies. These days a good color scan of a map is just as good as the real thing for me.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

This might be evident from some of my road threads I've done but I really enjoy history in general.  I particularly enjoy the time period from when the Western Expansion brought on by the California Gold Rush started up really to the mid-20th century.  I like to have a good idea about the back of places I go and how they came to be in the first place.  I love the designs of buildings and infrastructure from those eras as well.  One thing that I always loved about my hometown in Detroit was the Art Deco designs so many buildings have.  Modern architecture design is so boring and bland looking by comparison...at least I think so.

bandit957

In the past few moths, I've taken up a hobby of downvoting cosmetic dentistry ads on YouTube.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bing101

I go on  biotech forums to look at the biohacking movement, collect harmonicas and modify stick pc's.

http://diy-bio.com/
https://diybio.org/

I liked experimenting with 3-d printers when I was with this group in Benicia

http://beniciamakerspace.org/

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/best-android-media-sticks-2016/

The stick PC reference.
http://www.stickcomputing.com/

ColossalBlocks

Unusual hobbies, Hmm...

I like to take pictures of outlets in odd places and post them on a community on Reddit. I have the link to it, too.

I'm a railfan.

I like to find unused sign posts, and then melt them down into little ingots.

I take numerous pictures of bridge supports.

I take those little placards off telephone poles. Example:

I collect unused breaker panels.

And that is it.

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2017, 08:10:07 AM
Isn't removing the placards illegal?

It's theft (albeit very petty theft) so yes, it is. Judging by the "have you ever stolen a road sign?" thread, however, it seems that a good number of us aren't exactly first-class citizens.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2017, 08:10:07 AM
Isn't removing the placards illegal?

Man.... Delmarva Power is gonna send the pole tag goon squad after him.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

inkyatari

Unusual...  Well.. 

I collect roadmaps, but that's roadgeekery related...
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

OracleUsr

Oh, yeah...

I like trains  (CRASH VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.