News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

longest unsigned interval between gas stations

Started by agentsteel53, July 07, 2010, 12:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

on the interstate system, we have a new "winner": 71 miles between Socorro and Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, on I-25.  It seems that every gas station (there were at least three) in that stretch has gone out of business.

NM DOT really needs to put up a sign.  I think the interstate signing guidelines specify any interval greater than 25 miles must be signed.  Maybe it's 40 miles.  In any case, 71 miles is well past critical.

there is, likely, gas a few miles closer in Elephant Butte - however, I didn't have a detailed enough map to try to see where the roads went into that town, and I knew that if I made a single mistake and had to backtrack as little as two miles, I'd be sunk ... when I rolled into T or C, the gas gauge was indicating that I had an estimated two miles worth of gas left.

(yes, a Prius is a good thing ... I used less than a single gallon to cover that 71 mile interval, and needed every last drop of it!)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Well, there's no MUTCD standard that requires signing the distance to next services...there is an option that allows such a sign if the distance is 10 miles or greater.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

yanksfan6129

Even if it isn't required, 71 miles should still be signed.

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 07, 2010, 12:34:54 AM
(yes, a Prius is a good thing ... I used less than a single gallon to cover that 71 mile interval, and needed every last drop of it!)

But you can't drive a Prius without looking like a douchebag.  Even the singer for Pantera would look like a dork driving a Prius.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on July 07, 2010, 12:41:23 PM
But you can't drive a Prius without looking like a douchebag.  Even the singer for Pantera would look like a dork driving a Prius.

I fail to see your point.  :sombrero:

given the amount of miles I put in my rental cars, looking like a dork is a small price to pay compared to what I save on gas.

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on July 07, 2010, 09:15:09 AM
Even if it isn't required, 71 miles should still be signed.

There's lots of large distances in Nevada that aren't signed with "next services" type signs. For example, the distance between Beatty and Tonopah on US 95 is about 93 miles--that's a 93-mile gap without gas that is unsigned (unless there's an active gas station in Goldfield, which would cut that down to about 66 miles between there and Beatty).

Sometimes, as a responsible driver, you have to be aware of what kind of country you're driving through and know when it's a good idea to fill up.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on July 07, 2010, 05:47:01 PM
be aware of what kind of country you're driving through

interstate freeway, with services every 30 miles, as of September, 2009, which was the last time I was there.  I think "plan for capitalism as a whole to seemingly go on holiday, and have *every* gasoline station go out of business to *create* a demand" is not a reasonable expectation to make of drivers.

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

agentsteel53

speaking of Nevada, the one gas station on US-6 between Ely and Tonopah is out of service, so the distance between services on 6 is now 168 miles.

however, if you take 318 (old US-93) down to Preston, there is a station there, cutting maybe 10 miles off the distance.

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: roadfro on July 07, 2010, 05:47:01 PM
There's lots of large distances in Nevada that aren't signed with "next services" type signs. For example, the distance between Beatty and Tonopah on US 95 is about 93 miles--that's a 93-mile gap without gas that is unsigned (unless there's an active gas station in Goldfield, which would cut that down to about 66 miles between there and Beatty).

I recently discovered that the example I used was partially incorrect...

On a trip back up to Reno from Vegas last week I saw a sign in Beatty that said "Next Gas 67 miles". The sign was of an older vintage, but still accurate. There was indeed an small gas station in Goldfield selling very expensive gasoline.

However, I don't believe there was a complementary sign southbound in Goldfield.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 18, 2010, 02:34:04 PM
speaking of Nevada, the one gas station on US-6 between Ely and Tonopah is out of service, so the distance between services on 6 is now 168 miles.

however, if you take 318 (old US-93) down to Preston, there is a station there, cutting maybe 10 miles off the distance.

Forgot about the central Nevada stretch of US 6, which is probably one of the largest distances between services in the U.S.  Not sure if that one is signed, but it definitely should be if it isn't.

Side note: US 93 was never routed along SR 318. It probably would have been routed that way had SR 38 (today's 318) been paved when US 93 was extended south to Glendale in 1931-32. Driving south from Ely heading towards southern Nevada, it's 33 miles shorter to take US 6 and SR 318 than it is to stay on US 93.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on July 18, 2010, 06:03:02 PM
However, I don't believe there was a complementary sign southbound in Goldfield.

correct, no sign.  Was just there.  Also, I do not know if the small expensive gas station in Goldfield is in business.  They were not open when I drove through, around 6pm last night.

QuoteForgot about the central Nevada stretch of US 6, which is probably one of the largest distances between services in the U.S.  Not sure if that one is signed, but it definitely should be if it isn't.

I cannot think of any longer ones in the lower 48.  Though it may help to revise the definition - does 168 miles count, even though you can get gas within 152 miles of Tonopah if you swing down to Preston, and you are still "generally" heading in the Ely direction?  

Similarly, on I-70 in Utah between Green River and Salina, you can go up Utah highway 10 about halfway through and find a gas station 9 miles away from the freeway, which is why the signs all say "next gas: 106 miles on I-70".

if you count three numbers along a logical corridor, then - given that the gas stations both at Currant and Rachel are out of business - there is no gas between Tonopah and Caliente (192 miles, 6-375-93 north) or Tonopah and Alamo (161 miles, 6-375-93 south).  There is a sign at the northern end of 375 with "next gas: 111 miles", which must refer to Alamo.

QuoteSide note: US 93 was never routed along SR 318. It probably would have been routed that way had SR 38 (today's 318) been paved when US 93 was extended south to Glendale in 1931-32. Driving south from Ely heading towards southern Nevada, it's 33 miles shorter to take US 6 and SR 318 than it is to stay on US 93.

my 1947 Rand McNally shows 93 along its current alignment (except for the bottom end heading to Glendale), but someone I know who collects Nevada signs told me that 93 was signed along 38A (which is what 318 is signed as in 1947).  Was he incorrect?  He got a US-93 sign from someone in Hiko who claimed it was on a pole "right along the highway there".  Maybe "right there" refers to a bit further down the road, then?

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 18, 2010, 06:26:40 PM
correct, no sign.  Was just there.  Also, I do not know if the small expensive gas station in Goldfield is in business.  They were not open when I drove through, around 6pm last night.

Might be that they're only open during weekdays or otherwise limited hours. I'm fairly certain I saw people there when I drove by a week ago, and that was around 6pm on a Monday.

my 1947 Rand McNally shows 93 along its current alignment (except for the bottom end heading to Glendale), but someone I know who collects Nevada signs told me that 93 was signed along 38A (which is what 318 is signed as in 1947).  Was he incorrect?  He got a US-93 sign from someone in Hiko who claimed it was on a pole "right along the highway there".  Maybe "right there" refers to a bit further down the road, then?

I've looked through a lot of old official NDOT maps, and cannot recall ever seeing an US 93 change alignments anywhere outside of Clark County. Nevada's 1932 Road Map is the first to show the extension of US 93 from Wells to Glendale, and it follows the current alignment--What became SR 38A (later just 38, now 318) wasn't even a state highway yet on this map. The 1939 Official Road Map of the State of Nevada shows US 93 after being extended into Arizona, still on the present alignment and not on SR 38A.

Given that Hiko is only about 5 miles from SR 38's junction with US 93, I'd say "right there" was indeed further down the road.

quote fix

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 18, 2010, 06:26:40 PM
Similarly, on I-70 in Utah between Green River and Salina, you can go up Utah highway 10 about halfway through and find a gas station 9 miles away from the freeway, which is why the signs all say "next gas: 106 miles on I-70".
When I last stopped by that gas station (1998?), it was closed on Sundays, and had limited hours the rest of the week.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on July 20, 2010, 03:40:52 AM
Given that Hiko is only about 5 miles from SR 38's junction with US 93, I'd say "right there" was indeed further down the road.

that seems to be the most sensible explanation.

given that 318 is so much shorter, why didn't they move 93 onto that alignment?  Too much complaint from Caliente? 

or, since Nevada really likes its alternate routes, why not make 318 into 93A?

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 20, 2010, 10:29:51 AM
given that 318 is so much shorter, why didn't they move 93 onto that alignment?  Too much complaint from Caliente? 

or, since Nevada really likes its alternate routes, why not make 318 into 93A?

The current alignment of US 93 serves Caliente and Pioche, which both have a decent enough population--SR 38/318 serves Hiko and Sunnyside (and offshoot to Preston), which aren't much more than dots on the map. I assume that because of this, the Hiko-Sunnyside wasn't even fully paved until the early 80's--the first to show this being the 1982 post-renumbering map as SR 318. By that time, maybe there just wasn't any will to change the alignment.

A shift of US 93 isn't likely to happen now. That particular stretch of US 93 is the "Great Basin Highway" and is designated a state scenic byway and considered a gateway to the Great Basin/eastern Nevada area from the Las Vegas valley. SR 318 hosts the Silver State Classic and other open-road races every year, and there seems to be an allure about that race happening on a state highway.

There was Nevada precedent for moving a US highway, however, when US 95 was relocated to bypass Fernley around 1960.

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 18, 2010, 02:34:04 PM

And that closed gas station, in Rachel, was off US 6 and down NV 375 quite a ways.

The "next gas 163 miles" sign I saw just a few days ago (photo still in the camera until I get back home) on US 6 eastbound is just east of the junction with NV 376, but there are no services between that junction and Tonopah, so 168 miles gas-free between Ely and Tonopah sounds right.

BTW, NV 375's north end has a "next gas 111 miles" sign, confirming the demise of the gas station in Rachel.

texaskdog

Quote from: bugo on July 07, 2010, 12:41:23 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 07, 2010, 12:34:54 AM

Best post today!

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: oscar on July 13, 2011, 03:38:57 PM
And that closed gas station, in Rachel, was off US 6 and down NV 375 quite a ways.

there was one in Currant, which is on 6.

QuoteThe "next gas 163 miles" sign I saw just a few days ago (photo still in the camera until I get back home) on US 6 eastbound is just east of the junction with NV 376, but there are no services between that junction and Tonopah, so 168 miles gas-free between Ely and Tonopah sounds right.

I do not recall that sign being there last year.  Maybe I just plain missed it since I was driving westbound.

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

When it comes to distances that are signed, however, CA-62 has somewhere around 100 miles between Twenty-Nine Palms and Vidal Junction.

I'd have to second Utah. I recall driving along I-70 in a car that could have died at any moment, and it seemed like you just drove and drove without seeing anything or anyone.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on July 14, 2011, 03:03:20 PM
When it comes to distances that are signed, however, CA-62 has somewhere around 100 miles between Twenty-Nine Palms and Vidal Junction.

the sign says exactly 100 miles.

there is another 100 sign somewhere just north of Paso Robles referring to a set of county routes that eventually ends up in Hollister.  someone has graffitied that sign to turn it into a 1000.

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 13, 2011, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on July 13, 2011, 03:58:30 PM

Best post today!

Sorry, I meant best I read today. There are sometimes new people joining, Nostradomus
that post was over a year ago, Doc Brown!!

agentsteel53

Quote from: texaskdog on July 14, 2011, 03:53:21 PM

let's put our reply to a quoted text in an arbitrarily bizarre location.  that makes sense.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 13, 2011, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on July 13, 2011, 03:58:30 PM

Best post today!

Sorry, I meant best I read today. There are sometimes new people joining, Nostradomus
that post was over a year ago, Doc Brown!!

jake@aaroads.com

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 13, 2011, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: oscar on July 13, 2011, 03:38:57 PM

there was one in Currant, which is on 6.

QuoteThe "next gas 163 miles" sign I saw just a few days ago (photo still in the camera until I get back home) on US 6 eastbound is just east of the junction with NV 376, but there are no services between that junction and Tonopah, so 168 miles gas-free between Ely and Tonopah sounds right.

I do not recall that sign being there last year.  Maybe I just plain missed it since I was driving westbound.

Here's a photo of the sign I mentioned, about five miles east of Tonopah:

While I traveled US 6 westbound a few miles west of the US 50/93 junction in Ely (to the western turnoff to the Ely business district), I didn't venture out enough to spot a similar sign on westbound US 6.  If there was one, it could've had a higher number.  If there wasn't one, that highway would likely win hands down the "unsigned interval" prize (in one direction), at least in the lower 48.

If there was a gas station in Currant, there isn't anymore.

Sykotyk

When I went south out of Ely via US6 to avoid following US93, I recall seeing a 'next gas' or 'next services' sign for US6. It was late at night.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.