News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Well then forget I posted them on here.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

D-Dey65

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 26, 2011, 05:31:43 PM
I find the shiny new I-678 shield in the first photo amusing for some reason.
Could it be a sign that NYSDOT or NYCDOT wants to keep the button copy?

:hmmm:

NE2

Quote from: vtk on September 27, 2011, 08:57:55 PM
Not to mention that Ohio and Harrisburg should be in mixed case
This is fine as early pre-Interstate standards. It's the way the shields and directional plates that were added on that causes problems.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Central Avenue

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 27, 2011, 09:07:04 PM
Well then forget I posted them on here.
I liked them, personally. Sure, they were kinda a mess with the added-on shields and directional plates, but I still thought they were cool old signs.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

NE2

My comment was intended partly as a jab at minor spacing issues being posted in the "worst" thread.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

You don't really need to be jabbing at anyone...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 27, 2011, 10:16:27 PM

I think the old shield simply fell off the sign, and they needed a hasty replacement.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

On a side note, those I-76 shields are surprisingly large given their vintage.

do you mean they are physically large shields?  up to 48x48 on guide signs has been part of the standard since 1957, and I believe those are 36x36.

or that they have the '70 spec with large numbers?  I believe the change from I-80S to I-76 came around 1972 or so - and federal '70 spec was invented by Pennsylvania in 1966.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 28, 2011, 01:37:15 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 27, 2011, 10:16:27 PM

I think the old shield simply fell off the sign, and they needed a hasty replacement.

That'd be my theory. I'm surprised they went with a 2-digit sized shield for it, and I'm not even sure if the I-678 was put up by NYCDOT or NYSDOT. I also want to say that the new signs on I-95 in New York were done by NYSDOT, judging by the fact that they're in highway gothic (NYCDOT loves Clearview). Plus, they look NYSDOT spec.
Youtube l Flickr

vtk

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 28, 2011, 01:45:06 AM

On a side note, those I-76 shields are surprisingly large given their vintage.

do you mean they are physically large shields?  up to 48x48 on guide signs has been part of the standard since 1957, and I believe those are 36x36.

or that they have the '70 spec with large numbers?  I believe the change from I-80S to I-76 came around 1972 or so - and federal '70 spec was invented by Pennsylvania in 1966.

Mostly I was surprised at the overall size, particularly compared to the text  and to the available space.  Also odd to me is the ½-height numerals (which I actually like) and the lack of button copy border or numerals.  I also may have overestimated the age of the shields a bit.

See, most of the Interstate shields in Columbus which are faded that much are on signs rumored to be first-generation, are no more than 30" high, and have button copy borders and numbers noticeably smaller than ½ the height of the shield.  I guess those I-76 shields are newer and faded more quickly.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Quillz

I've always liked this one:

I like the corrugated panel BGS, the usage of Series F and the shape of the shields (which must be some kind of New York custom design, because I've never seen that style anywhere else).

Ian

Series F isn't usually seen on the US route shields on New York's freeway signs, just the state route shields. I don't know why, but I do like the series F.
Youtube l Flickr

architect77

As promised, here are more pics of the old school button-copy I-85 shield in Atlanta. The reflectors really are in the "8" and "5."

mhallack

I've seen this old sign with the newer one one over and over again, just a side road off Rt.1 in Warren, Maine. I don't know why they left the old sign in place. It's the only one in the county I know of.

Scott5114

Quote from: mhallack on October 07, 2011, 10:54:21 AM
I've seen this old sign with the newer one one over and over again, just a side road off Rt.1 in Warren, I don't know why they left the old sign in place. It's the only one in the county I know of.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! :nod:

mhallack

Believe me I want the sign to stay, but just wonder why it is still there. But I won't rock the boat.

D-Dey65

I found a piece of this stock footage in the 1995 documentary "After Sunset: The Life and Times of the Drive-In Theater"

And it's button copy too.

:biggrin:

mhallack

This is from a construction zone in Warren, Maine. Route 1. I thought it was pretty cool. Unsure of the font though.

formulanone

Seen those in a few places...to be politically-correct, there's an alternate one for Mommy, too.

Scott5114

And "My Daddy Works Here" rears its ugly head yet again... Shoulda put that in the "Worst of Road Signs", dude. :P

ethanman62187

Quote from: Quillz on September 29, 2011, 08:59:29 PM
I've always liked this one:

I like the corrugated panel BGS, the usage of Series F and the shape of the shields (which must be some kind of New York custom design, because I've never seen that style anywhere else).

Wow!  Nice sign.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

ethanman62187

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 12, 2011, 10:33:01 AM
I found a piece of this stock footage in the 1995 documentary "After Sunset: The Life and Times of the Drive-In Theater"

And it's button copy too.

:biggrin:

I had never seen anything like that before. Still a nice sign.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

mhallack

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 15, 2011, 10:13:37 AM
And "My Daddy Works Here" rears its ugly head yet again... Shoulda put that in the "Worst of Road Signs", dude. :P

Sorry, didn't know there was a thread for that

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mhallack on October 15, 2011, 05:53:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 15, 2011, 10:13:37 AM

Sorry, didn't know there was a thread for that

Yep, there is one for "Worst of Road Signs".  Here's the link: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3521.0

;)

relaxok

My guess is these have been posted before but searching for new jersey turnpike and nj turnpike on the thread didn't turn them up and I haven't seen it posted myself.

A friend of mine said these are going away soon.. too bad.  I'm a sucker for neon.

Edit: for the curious it looks like a thread discussing these signs going away happened early last year:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2468.0

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.