News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois 53 Extension

Started by Brandon, July 28, 2010, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

premier707

Quote from: adamlanfort on March 25, 2015, 01:34:41 PM
They should be rebuilding the I-90/I-290/IL-53 interchange right now as we speak. It absolutely 100% baffles me why this work was not included in the Move Illinois Program.

It is a shockingly deficient interchange.  The only reason is money.  The tollway is reconstructing the entire east end of 90 at pretty much the same cost as that one interchange.  They will likely do some minimal work like realigning the ramps a tiny bit (as they are with the IL31 interchange) but any real work like more lanes and flyovers would be at least a billion dollars.  Schaumburg did commission a design in 2007 and its on the tollway website. The longer the tollway waits, the more $ Schaumburg will contribute.  Any real improvement would also require cash and co-operation with IDOT, both of which are in short supply. 

Joe The Dragon

One Idea that I saw was to toll IL-53 to help pay for the interchange

premier707

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on March 26, 2015, 09:49:30 AM

Absolutely, IL53 north of 90 WILL be tolled (this is a DONE DEAL), and the likely budget for the 53/120 parkway does not contain any funds to upgrade the Schaumburg interchange.  But the limited-access road known as IL53 from 90 to Lake Cook WILL be tolled and rehabbed much like was done with the old EOE.

I-39

Quote from: premier707 on March 26, 2015, 06:14:10 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on March 26, 2015, 09:49:30 AM

Absolutely, IL53 north of 90 WILL be tolled (this is a DONE DEAL), and the likely budget for the 53/120 parkway does not contain any funds to upgrade the Schaumburg interchange.  But the limited-access road known as IL53 from 90 to Lake Cook WILL be tolled and rehabbed much like was done with the old EOE.

Source that says tolling the existing IL-53 is a done deal? Cause I sure as heck haven't heard anything!

Revive 755

Quote from: premier707 on March 26, 2015, 06:14:10 PM

Source?  Last I heard from the local papers was tolling IL 53 from I-90 to Lake Cook Road was under consideration but had opposition from the local agencies along the freeway.  IIRC it was determined that it would be too costly to add an extra lane to the current IL 53 freeway similar to how the EOE is getting rehabbed with an extra lane.

707 you seem to have inside sources and what you say makes sense. I know supporters of US 20 and maybe the Peoria ring road came looking for help to the Toll Authority . Do you know what happened. IDOT mentions a funding study that was supposed to be done but October for US 20 that has never come out.

premier707

Source that says tolling the existing IL-53 is a done deal?

Well, it's a done deal if the parkway is to be built.  It would greatly help with bond issuance and overall revenue.

Last I heard from the local papers was tolling IL 53 from I-90 to Lake Cook Road was under consideration but had opposition from the local agencies along the freeway.  IIRC it was determined that it would be too costly to add an extra lane to the current IL 53 freeway similar to how the EOE is getting rehabbed with an extra lane.

Local agencies DO oppose the move....to a point.  Schaumburg's tepid opposition would evaporate if the 290/90/IL53 interchange and the IL62 interchange remain free.  Tolling likely wouldn't begin until north of Kirchoff, to also bring Rolling Meadows on board; this whole stretch of 53/290 from Kirchoff south to IL72 will be reconstructed whenever the Schaumburg interchange is rebuilt (likely by IDOT and Schaumburg, and definitely after the Circle/Jane Byrne is completed, but who knows).  In terms of possible existing IL53 widening, it would likely be in the fashion of the most-recent Stevenson Expy reconstruction; 3 lanes in each direction with an improved and widened left shoulder for bus traffic and a future carpool lane.  Auxiliary lanes would be added between higher-volume interchanges, but 4 lanes in each direction would be excessive and would likely overload the new parkway and Lake Cook.

707 you seem to have inside sources and what you say makes sense. I know supporters of US 20 and maybe the Peoria ring road came looking for help to the Toll Authority . Do you know what happened. IDOT mentions a funding study that was supposed to be done but October for US 20 that has never come out. 

I have lived in Chicagoland a very long time, and I know a few people from the relevant agencies, both past and present.  Nothing is carved in stone, however, especially with a broke state and a new administration.  IDOT is broke like the rest of the state.  The tollway, however, is not, mostly because they established a few corridors (Tri-State, Reagan, and Jane Addams) and let it establish itself for decades before expanding.  The tollway will not likely invest any real dollars into a roadway that doesn't feed into this original system.  For the tollway to get involved in US20 it would have to begin at the Jane Addams, but that would be a very long-term prospect.  Same for any Peoria projects.  It's on their radar, but won't be practical for them for many many years.

The most recent studies/committees regarding the IL53 extension have been the first, best chance at construction of a roadway since the corridor was first identified in the 60s (BTW the committee also supports, nay, assumes, that IL53 south to 90 will be tolled).  The tollway is likely looking for post-2020 projects after Move Illinois winds down.  The 53/120 parkway and central Tri-State rebuild would be the next big projects on their list.  The future depends somewhat on Gov. Rauner; if he supports a gas-tax expansion in Lake County, enough funds could be amassed to either a) rebuild the 90/290/IL53 interchange OR b) leave current IL53 toll-free.  If Rauner vetoes a gas-tax expansion, there may not be enough votes to override, and funding would be much more dependent on tolling IL53 and expanding them in Lake County, with a new mainline plaza at Lake-Cook being a possibility.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: premier707 on March 29, 2015, 04:55:01 AM
Source that says tolling the existing IL-53 is a done deal?

Well, it's a done deal if the parkway is to be built.  It would greatly help with bond issuance and overall revenue.

Last I heard from the local papers was tolling IL 53 from I-90 to Lake Cook Road was under consideration but had opposition from the local agencies along the freeway.  IIRC it was determined that it would be too costly to add an extra lane to the current IL 53 freeway similar to how the EOE is getting rehabbed with an extra lane.

Local agencies DO oppose the move....to a point.  Schaumburg's tepid opposition would evaporate if the 290/90/IL53 interchange and the IL62 interchange remain free.  Tolling likely wouldn't begin until north of Kirchoff, to also bring Rolling Meadows on board; this whole stretch of 53/290 from Kirchoff south to IL72 will be reconstructed whenever the Schaumburg interchange is rebuilt (likely by IDOT and Schaumburg, and definitely after the Circle/Jane Byrne is completed, but who knows).  In terms of possible existing IL53 widening, it would likely be in the fashion of the most-recent Stevenson Expy reconstruction; 3 lanes in each direction with an improved and widened left shoulder for bus traffic and a future carpool lane.  Auxiliary lanes would be added between higher-volume interchanges, but 4 lanes in each direction would be excessive and would likely overload the new parkway and Lake Cook.

They should have EOE like tolling (With some free links at 290/90/IL53/IL62 interchange) I think some links will be free at I-290 / EOE.

They also need some kind of ETC virtual ticket system (where if you a pay a toll at gate X and then with X time the toll at gate Y is a lower rate or free)  or EOE like tolling on all roads. OR just do a full ETR 407.

dietermoreno

I have seen survey crews at work along 120 from Fish Lake Rd to just west of Hainseville Rd for about the past month, until now I stopped seeing them.  That would appear to be the alignment upgrading the existing 120 alignment to a parkway just west of Hainseville Rd that was surveyed.  I have not also seen survey crews where the 53 ROW crosses streets, but then again, that's a small location to quickly survey where the 53 ROW crosses streets compared to several miles on 120 so that's probably why I didn't see them surveying there.  Or maybe the Illinois Tollway is using the existing 53 ROW surveys and they only hired the engineering firm to survey on 120.

Also, in other news, Hawthorn Woods is throwing a temper tantrum (nothing new) and wants all planning for the 53/120 project to stop until the blue ribbon advisory council starts over and makes a new resolution with a new alignment.  Hawthorn Woods complains that building the road elevated over wetlands would create noise pollution due to it being elevated, so suggests that an alignment should be chosen that does not cross wetlands so the road is not required to be elevated.
http://patch.com/illinois/lakezurich/hawthorn-woods-seeks-change-conversation-route-53-discussion

Brandon

^^ Screw Hawthorn Woods.  Between them and Long Grove, they've been the assholes holding up the construction of this road for decades.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Did you see the Trib story of last week? It looks like Tolling north of 90 is out and the usual crowd and more are trying to block it on fiscal grounds so who knows if anything will ever be done in this state again

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on April 21, 2015, 06:29:40 AM
^^ Screw Hawthorn Woods.  Between them and Long Grove, they've been the assholes holding up the construction of this road for decades.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: to you Brandon. HW and LG have been bastards. And you know that places such as Lake Zurich, Libertyville and Grayslake have been trying to get relief for their local roads.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

Quote from: 3467 on April 21, 2015, 09:47:12 AM
Did you see the Trib story of last week? It looks like Tolling north of 90 is out and the usual crowd and more are trying to block it on fiscal grounds so who knows if anything will ever be done in this state again

Unless it is built with at least six lanes and to Interstate standards, it's not going to do anything. This parkway is an absolute joke.

dietermoreno

Looking on the brightside assuming  :no: 53 is actually built (what else can we do but hope and be positive  :awesomeface:), what do you guys think should happen with the Lake Cook Rd interchange, now that its established that the existing 53 won't be tolled so alot of traffic will still exit at Lake Cook to avoid paying the congestion charge?

It appears that when the 53 spur was built in the 80s it was never intended for 100,000 vehicles a day to use the Lake Cook interchange.  It appears a diamond interchange with a circular ramp from Wb Lake Cook to Sb 53 was planned. 

Look at Dundee Rd (where the expressway used to end).  It appears that it had the same interchange that Lake Cook has currently, with the ramp from the Nb terminus of 53 to Wb Dundee converted into a ramp that folds around the circular ramp.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dundee+Rd,+Illinois/@42.1391972,-88.0060112,629m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x880fbb5f4f889029:0x3fbfe5967b001d5

I think Lake Cook needs to be completely rebuilt from Arlington Heights Rd to Rt 12.  Not enough capacity, even with the 53 extension built, due to traffic will exit to avoid paying the congestion charge.  Also, currently too much weaving on Lake Cook from traffic exiting Nb 53 onto Wb Lake Cook forced to weave over out of right lane must turn right dual right turn lanes.  In addition to weaving from traffic turning left onto Eb Lake Cook from Sb 12, staying in the left lane on Lake Cook, and then traffic backs up as traffic attempts to merge into the right lane to enter the 53 Sb ramp. 

Widen from 4 through lanes to 6 through lanes from Arlington Heights Rd to just east of the interchange with 53.

Rebuild the bridge over 53 as 6 lanes wide with collector - distributor lanes separated by a narrow 3 inch concrete median of the style found on Palatine Road.  2 through lanes in each direction and one local lane in each direction. 

Rebuild the bridge over the lake as 7 lanes wide with collector - distributor lanes separated by a narrow 3 inch concrete median of the style found on Palatine Road.  2 through lanes in each direction, one Eb local lane, and two Wb local lanes.  Essentially, the Wb "local lanes" are actually express lanes because they don't stop at the lights at either Hicks Rd or Rt 12, which will be explained below.

Inbetween the bridge over the lake and the bridge over 53, widen from 4 lanes to 2 through lanes in each direction, one Eb local lane, and two Wb local lanes. Traffic from the local lanes may not enter the through lanes.  Traffic from the through lanes may not enter the local lanes.  No turns other than right turns allowed into and out of the local lanes.  No right turns allowed in the through lanes. Left turns allowed in the Wb through lanes.  Left turns not allowed in the Eb through lanes, as will be explained below.

At the intersection of Hicks Rd with Lake Cook, time the signals and restrict access to make the Wb local lane function as a continuous green T intersection.  Eliminate Hicks Rd cross traffic and convert the Wb through lanes into a seagull intersection.  Left turns from Nb Hicks Rd enter the through lanes of Lake Cook but have no access to the local lanes of Lake Cook, so essentially the traffic flow is dual left turn lanes merging from the left onto Lake Cook.  Remove the ability to make a left turn from Sb Hicks Rd onto Eb Lake Cook.  All traffic on Sb Hicks Rd must merge into the the Wb local lane on Lake Cook.  Allow U-turns at the intersection of Lake Cook and 12.  This makes the intersection of Hicks and Lake Cook function as a through-U-turn intersection as well.

Widen Rt 12 from 6 total lanes to 8 total lanes at the intersection with Lake Cook.  Demolish the strip club / Cash For Gold / smoke shop / what ever it is next to provide right of way.  4 Wb through lanes on Rt 12, dual left turn lanes on Eb Rt 12, and 2 Eb through lanes on Rt 12.

Widen Rt 12 from 5 total lanes to 8 total lanes at the intersection with Plum Grove Rd.  Demolish small houses along Rt 12 that aren't generating sales tax revenue to provide right of way.  2 Wb through lanes on Rt 12, 2 Wb local lanes on Rt 12, 3 Eb lanes on Rt 12, and one left turn lane on Rt 12.  Concrete barriers end northwest of Plum Grove Road and the 2 Wb local lanes merge into 3 Wb through lanes.

Widen Rt 12 from 5 total lanes to 7 total lanes at the intersection with Long Grove Rd.  There is room on the grassy embankment to the north of 12 along the shopping center.  Have the Wb Rt 12 right most 3rd lane be a right turn must turn right lane into Long Grove Rd.  After Long Grove Rd heading Eb on Rt 12, have a 3rd lane begin.  2 Wb through lanes on Rt 12, 3 Eb through lanes on Rt 12, one left turn lane on Rt 12, and one right turn lane on Rt 12.

The two local lanes of Wb Lake Cook merge onto Wb Rt 12, with a merge instead of a red light, allowing free flowing traffic.

Widen the ramp off of Nb 53 onto Wb Lake Cook from one lane to two lanes.

There is already a continuous green T intersection with Old Hicks Rd, Lake Cook Rd, and the ramp off of Nb 53 onto Wb Lake Cook.

Convert Plum Grove Rd. and Rt 12 into a continous green T intersection.

Example driving from Rt 53 Nb to Rt 12 Wb:

(1) Take the ramp for Wb Lake Cook Rd.

(2) You keep going through the continuous green arrow at Old Hicks Rd.)

(3) You keep going through the continous green arrow at Hicks Rd.

(4) You keep going through the continous green arrow at Rt 12.

(5) You keep going through the continous green arrow at Plum Grove Rd.

(6) You merge into the 3 Wb through lanes on Rt 12 northwest of Plum Grove Rd.

(7) You merge left into the 2 Wb through lanes on Rt 12 approaching Long Grove Road to avoid entering the right turn lane.

(8) You stop at the light for Long Grove Road.

This would be good as an alternative to the 53 extension that may never be built, but it would be good to have even with the 53 extension built, due to the congestion pricing that would cause drivers to exit at Lake Cook.

hobsini2

The Dundee Rd interchange prior to the extension to Lake-Cook was not the same way the current Lake-Cook was. It was a "diamond" but with the WB to SB traffic exiting Dundee on the current NB ramp. At the bottom of the ramp, it crossed over into the current SB lanes.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: dietermoreno on April 27, 2015, 10:44:34 PM
Looking on the brightside assuming  :no: 53 is actually built (what else can we do but hope and be positive  :awesomeface:), what do you guys think should happen with the Lake Cook Rd interchange, now that its established that the existing 53 won't be tolled so alot of traffic will still exit at Lake Cook to avoid paying the congestion charge?

It appears that when the 53 spur was built in the 80s it was never intended for 100,000 vehicles a day to use the Lake Cook interchange.  It appears a diamond interchange with a circular ramp from Wb Lake Cook to Sb 53 was planned. 

Look at Dundee Rd (where the expressway used to end).  It appears that it had the same interchange that Lake Cook has currently, with the ramp from the Nb terminus of 53 to Wb Dundee converted into a ramp that folds around the circular ramp.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dundee+Rd,+Illinois/@42.1391972,-88.0060112,629m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x880fbb5f4f889029:0x3fbfe5967b001d5

I think Lake Cook needs to be completely rebuilt from Arlington Heights Rd to Rt 12.  Not enough capacity, even with the 53 extension built, due to traffic will exit to avoid paying the congestion charge.  Also, currently too much weaving on Lake Cook from traffic exiting Nb 53 onto Wb Lake Cook forced to weave over out of right lane must turn right dual right turn lanes.  In addition to weaving from traffic turning left onto Eb Lake Cook from Sb 12, staying in the left lane on Lake Cook, and then traffic backs up as traffic attempts to merge into the right lane to enter the 53 Sb ramp. 

Widen from 4 through lanes to 6 through lanes from Arlington Heights Rd to just east of the interchange with 53.

Rebuild the bridge over 53 as 6 lanes wide with collector - distributor lanes separated by a narrow 3 inch concrete median of the style found on Palatine Road.  2 through lanes in each direction and one local lane in each direction. 

Rebuild the bridge over the lake as 7 lanes wide with collector - distributor lanes separated by a narrow 3 inch concrete median of the style found on Palatine Road.  2 through lanes in each direction, one Eb local lane, and two Wb local lanes.  Essentially, the Wb "local lanes" are actually express lanes because they don't stop at the lights at either Hicks Rd or Rt 12, which will be explained below.

Inbetween the bridge over the lake and the bridge over 53, widen from 4 lanes to 2 through lanes in each direction, one Eb local lane, and two Wb local lanes. Traffic from the local lanes may not enter the through lanes.  Traffic from the through lanes may not enter the local lanes.  No turns other than right turns allowed into and out of the local lanes.  No right turns allowed in the through lanes. Left turns allowed in the Wb through lanes.  Left turns not allowed in the Eb through lanes, as will be explained below.

At the intersection of Hicks Rd with Lake Cook, time the signals and restrict access to make the Wb local lane function as a continuous green T intersection.  Eliminate Hicks Rd cross traffic and convert the Wb through lanes into a seagull intersection.  Left turns from Nb Hicks Rd enter the through lanes of Lake Cook but have no access to the local lanes of Lake Cook, so essentially the traffic flow is dual left turn lanes merging from the left onto Lake Cook.  Remove the ability to make a left turn from Sb Hicks Rd onto Eb Lake Cook.  All traffic on Sb Hicks Rd must merge into the the Wb local lane on Lake Cook.  Allow U-turns at the intersection of Lake Cook and 12.  This makes the intersection of Hicks and Lake Cook function as a through-U-turn intersection as well.

Widen Rt 12 from 6 total lanes to 8 total lanes at the intersection with Lake Cook.  Demolish the strip club / Cash For Gold / smoke shop / what ever it is next to provide right of way.  4 Wb through lanes on Rt 12, dual left turn lanes on Eb Rt 12, and 2 Eb through lanes on Rt 12.

Widen Rt 12 from 5 total lanes to 8 total lanes at the intersection with Plum Grove Rd.  Demolish small houses along Rt 12 that aren't generating sales tax revenue to provide right of way.  2 Wb through lanes on Rt 12, 2 Wb local lanes on Rt 12, 3 Eb lanes on Rt 12, and one left turn lane on Rt 12.  Concrete barriers end northwest of Plum Grove Road and the 2 Wb local lanes merge into 3 Wb through lanes.

Widen Rt 12 from 5 total lanes to 7 total lanes at the intersection with Long Grove Rd.  There is room on the grassy embankment to the north of 12 along the shopping center.  Have the Wb Rt 12 right most 3rd lane be a right turn must turn right lane into Long Grove Rd.  After Long Grove Rd heading Eb on Rt 12, have a 3rd lane begin.  2 Wb through lanes on Rt 12, 3 Eb through lanes on Rt 12, one left turn lane on Rt 12, and one right turn lane on Rt 12.

The two local lanes of Wb Lake Cook merge onto Wb Rt 12, with a merge instead of a red light, allowing free flowing traffic.

There is already a continuous green T intersection with Old Hicks Rd, Lake Cook Rd, and the ramp off of Nb 53 onto Wb Lake Cook.

(7) You merge left into the 2 Wb through lanes on Rt 12 approaching Long Grove Road to avoid entering the right turn lane.

This would be good as an alternative to the 53 extension that may never be built, but it would be good to have even with the 53 extension built, due to the congestion pricing that would cause drivers to exit at Lake Cook.
your plan has some local access issues to deal with maybe some of kind super street / RIRO setup with U-trun bays with some over passes.

The rest of US12 needs 3 lanes each way or more to lake zurich (maybe RIRO / 1-2 overpasses) though lake Zurich 3 lanes each way with RIRO with U-truns / limited cross streets (little to no room for overpasses) out side of lake Zurich to IL-59 3 or 2 lanes each way with RIRO U-trun bays no cross streets or drive ways. (more room for overpasses) Though wauconda 2 lanes with aux lanes or 3 lanes each way make cook st RIRO only. Overpass at bonner rd or RIRO with U-turn bays.

bonner rd to IL-120 maybe 3 lanes each way with RIRO no cross streets or drive ways.

That gives you part of IL-120 / IL-53 and with Palatine Road upgrade full grade separation from IL-53 to I-294 will kind of fill parts of the other side. (may be needed any ways with IL-120 / IL-53 build out.

Henry

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 29, 2015, 08:16:57 PM
Quote from: dietermoreno on April 27, 2015, 10:44:34 PM

your plan has some local access issues to deal with maybe some of kind super street / RIRO setup with U-trun bays with some over passes.

The rest of US12 needs 3 lanes each way or more to lake zurich (maybe RIRO / 1-2 overpasses) though lake Zurich 3 lanes each way with RIRO with U-truns / limited cross streets (little to no room for overpasses) out side of lake Zurich to IL-59 3 or 2 lanes each way with RIRO U-trun bays no cross streets or drive ways. (more room for overpasses) Though wauconda 2 lanes with aux lanes or 3 lanes each way make cook st RIRO only. Overpass at bonner rd or RIRO with U-turn bays.

bonner rd to IL-120 maybe 3 lanes each way with RIRO no cross streets or drive ways.

That gives you part of IL-120 / IL-53 and with Palatine Road upgrade full grade separation from IL-53 to I-294 will kind of fill parts of the other side. (may be needed any ways with IL-120 / IL-53 build out.
Even without tolls, I say that IL 53 needs to be upgraded to at least a superstreet with RIRO access. And as for the extension itself, never say never. The Illiana is also on the backburner along with this, but highways get delayed for many years before finally getting built. The ICC is a perfect example of this.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Revive 755

Given that it appears Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods will oppose even the parkway version, I really don't understand why Lake County has not started developing a Plan B consisting of widening a few north-south roads to six lanes.  Possibly the Arlington Heights Road/IL 83 corridor, US 12/Quentin Road/Fairfield Road (with a new connector that is grade separated from the CN Railroad), and one other north-south corridor between US 12 and I-94.

Brandon

^^ I think everyone should boycott Long Grove and it's so-called village until they get the point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tribar

Just build the fucking freeway.  No tolls, at least 6 lanes and at least 55mph. No stop lights either.  Who cares what Long Grove thinks?  It would be different if it were blowing through downtown but it's not.

dave069

Quote from: tribar on May 02, 2015, 11:37:35 PM
Just build the fucking freeway.  No tolls, at least 6 lanes and at least 55mph. No stop lights either.  Who cares what Long Grove thinks?  It would be different if it were blowing through downtown but it's not.

65-70 MPH would be even better if you ask me.

tribar

Quote from: dave069 on May 03, 2015, 08:15:56 PM
Quote from: tribar on May 02, 2015, 11:37:35 PM

65-70 MPH would be even better if you ask me.

I agree but I'm content with 55.

dietermoreno

Would Lake County DOT have enough funds with a Lake County gas tax and Lake County Challenge Program bonds to construct a Super-2 from Midlothian Rd to Peterson Rd?

This bypasses Mundlein, and gets something built while Hawthorn Woods has the Illinois Tollway in a cage.

I looked at both the sattelite map and normal map of Mundelein on Google Maps, and it appears that Hawthorn Woods village limits begin on the south side of Midlothian Rd at FAP 342 and Midlothian Rd,and the north side of Midlothian Rd at FAP 342 and Midlothian Rd is unincorporated.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mundelein,+IL/@42.3031816,-88.0235893,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x880f977abfc96039:0x54b86999b33b553

So, Hawthorn Woods can (AND WILL) hold an interchange with Midlothian hostage the same that they are holding the interchange with Rt 22 hostage.

So the Super-2 Mundelein bypass would have to have an at grade intersection with Midlothian, which would make most sense to be a traditional signalized intersection to reduce cost and since the plan is to build an interchange eventually.

build one carriageway 2+1.  One lane in each direction at all times.  An alternating passing lane.  Grade separations with no access with all intersecting streets other than Peterson and Midlothian. Soft shoulder.  below grade.  Trees and multi-use path on one side of the road.  Planting the trees now gives more time for them to grow tall to provide a noise barrier, and we know the trees will grow very tall before Hawthorn Woods allows the tollway to be built.  The southbound lane becomes the inner lane of the northbound lanes when the tollway is built.  The passing lane becomes the outer lane of the northbound lanes when the tollway is built.  The northbound lane becomes the paved outer shoulder of the northbound carriageway when the tollway is built.  Also, the paved outer shoulder could become a third lane and have no shoulders when it is approved to widen the tollway from 4 lanes to 6 lanes.

Partial clover leaf interchange with Peterson with the Super-2 transitioning to a Super-4 just south of Peterson.

Realign IL Rt 83.

No access at IL 176, IL 83-IL 60, Hawley St, and the residential streets crossed.

The residential streets crossed don't need bridges, cul-de-sack them instead.

Underpass at IL 176, IL 83-IL 60, and Hawley St.

It might look similar to this video of this US 12 super-2 in Minnesota:

Would this actually be a Super-2, or would this really be a few miles long undivided pair of ramps from Peterson to Midlothian, since there are no other at grade intersections and Super-2's allow at grade intersections with minor streets and minor access points?

Revive 755

Quote from: dietermoreno on June 11, 2015, 09:09:42 PM
Would Lake County DOT have enough funds with a Lake County gas tax and Lake County Challenge Program bonds to construct a Super-2 from Midlothian Rd to Peterson Rd?

Given the number of other projects Lake County has underway (the Washington Street and Peterson Road corridors come to mind) or is planning (such as building the US 45 Milburn Bypass for IDOT, and a major project for Wadsworth at US 41 that could include a grade separation), I would lean towards no.  However, if Lake County would put a lot of other projects on hold, it might be possible.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 11, 2015, 10:38:58 PM
Quote from: dietermoreno on June 11, 2015, 09:09:42 PM

Given the number of other projects Lake County has underway (the Washington Street and Peterson Road corridors come to mind) or is planning (such as building the US 45 Milburn Bypass for IDOT, and a major project for Wadsworth at US 41 that could include a grade separation), I would lean towards no.  However, if Lake County would put a lot of other projects on hold, it might be possible.

So, I drove by the ROW just the other day in Hawthorn Woods. Seriously, I just don't get what their big fuss is about! It would not cause any major harm to the area, and the roads in that area are just a pain to traverse. As far as a super two, I say build big or go home! Rarely does anything in Illinois ever get fully implemented if only partially done (see Palatine Road), or if it does, it takes about 20 years to finally proceed and start to finish (see Elgin-O'Hare Expressway/Tollway). Also, while driving up Rand Road (US Route 12), it was quite obvious to me that there is NO WAY people are going to merely go 45 MPH on any parkway extension. Long Grove and Hawthorne Woods need a reality check, and fast!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.