News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

The final bridge beams on the I-41 project are being placed tonight in Howard.  The years long project in Green Bay should finally start wrapping up this year. 

The Ghostbuster

I went to Strugeon Bay with my mother and stepfather right after Christmas for one week. I saw my first Interstate 41 signs on that trip, and I think the road should have become an Interstate a long time ago. Of course the freeway conversion of the entire corridor wasn't completed until 2001, so it may have been impractical.

skluth

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 28, 2016, 04:18:06 PM
I went to Strugeon Bay with my mother and stepfather right after Christmas for one week. I saw my first Interstate 41 signs on that trip, and I think the road should have become an Interstate a long time ago. Of course the freeway conversion of the entire corridor wasn't completed until 2001, so it may have been impractical.

I don't think many people object to it being an interstate. The idiocy of choosing I-41 as the number while also keeping US 41 is what's annoying. I realize it's between I-39 and I-43. But they should have decommissioned US 41 then from the state line to the Keweenaw to get rid of the concurrency. Or something.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: skluth on January 30, 2016, 03:50:29 PM

I don't think many people object to it being an interstate. The idiocy of choosing I-41 as the number while also keeping US 41 is what's annoying. I realize it's between I-39 and I-43. But they should have decommissioned US 41 then from the state line to the Keweenaw to get rid of the concurrency. Or something.

I like the number.  It not only fits the grid, but has been the actual number of the highway since its inception.  I would have just had US-41 as an unsigned concurrency - disappears at the IL line and reappears north of Green Bay.

triplemultiplex

Took until this weekend for me to lay eyes on I-41 shields.  Neat.
Got to use the new NB->WB flyover at the Zoo Interchange.  Not a bad view from up there.  I was surprised to see it still exiting from the left.  I guess that's how the construction staging worked out.

While I don't like that I-894 has remained, I do notice one minor reason for keeping it.  The exit numbers.  They would have to be renumbered if/when that 3di bites the dust.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 30, 2016, 09:32:29 PM
Took until this weekend for me to lay eyes on I-41 shields.  Neat.
Got to use the new NB->WB flyover at the Zoo Interchange.  Not a bad view from up there.  I was surprised to see it still exiting from the left.  I guess that's how the construction staging worked out.

While I don't like that I-894 has remained, I do notice one minor reason for keeping it.  The exit numbers.  They would have to be renumbered if/when that 3di bites the dust.

A new N-S I-41 mainline through the Zoo interchange is under construction, it will cut through its middle and the NB-WB ramp will be diverging from the right when all is complete.

Mike

jreuschl

Should have made it I-43W

SM-N910P

TheHighwayMan3561

The problem is that they would have had to get Michigan on board with that, which considering US 41 is the most important N-S highway in the UP they might not have been so willing to accept the idea.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

Quote from: jreuschl on January 31, 2016, 12:12:32 AM

Should have made it I-43W

Too confusing.  The two E/W instances remaining are splits that go through two twin cities.  They don't begin and end in the same cities.

US 41

I don't understand what is so bad or confusing about I-41. It fits perfectly in the grid and it runs concurrent with US 41 the entire way (except for maybe a few miles in Milwaukee). Regardless of what you call the road it is still 41.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

SEWIGuy

Quote from: US 41 on January 31, 2016, 08:37:22 PM
I don't understand what is so bad or confusing about I-41. It fits perfectly in the grid and it runs concurrent with US 41 the entire way (except for maybe a few miles in Milwaukee). Regardless of what you call the road it is still 41.

It actually runs concurrently with US-41 for its entire length now that US-41 has been re-routed.

mrose

I think of it like a British or Australian motorway changing grade, like going from A20 to M20 and then back to A20. US 41 to I-41 back to US 41.

brycecordry

If my master interstate plan went through, most of I-41 from Fond du Lac to its northern end would be a part of my new I-45 extension. With such a small portion not overlapping another interstate, the Milwaukee-Fond du Lac section could be I-194 (unless IDOT, InDOT, and KYTC could be persuaded to extend I-41 down south to Evansville, and Hopkinsville, KY).
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

peterj920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 30, 2016, 07:12:34 PM

I like the number.  It not only fits the grid, but has been the actual number of the highway since its inception.  I would have just had US-41 as an unsigned concurrency - disappears at the IL line and reappears north of Green Bay.

It's only signed on the mainline reassurance shields and US 41 follow I-41 BGS at major interchanges.  I think WISDOT did a great job signing it, except for the north end.

There still isn't an End I-41 sign there yet.  Lineville Rd doesn't have any I-41 south signs at the interchange, despite having a Begin I-41 BGS and I-41 reassurance sign right after the interchange.  Along I-43 at the I-41 interchange, the US 41 shield was replaced with an I-41 shield.  Due to construction, the temp. signs say North I-41 so I'm assuming the end sign should be placed just south of Lineville Rd.  Construction is complete in that area so there isn't any reason why a sign couldn't be placed.  If a not that important permanent "Buckle Up" sign can be placed in the area, why can't an end I-41 sign be placed?

roadman65

That is why my joke proposal of having US 50 be I-50 from Emporia, KS and Lees Summit, MO would work.  It would be between I-40 and I-70 and fit the grid well in addition.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: mrose on February 01, 2016, 12:22:31 AM
I think of it like a British or Australian motorway changing grade, like going from A20 to M20 and then back to A20. US 41 to I-41 back to US 41.

Or...I-787 to NY 787, I-590 to NY 590, I-390 to NY 390, I-481 to NY 481, I-690 to NY 690...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

noelbotevera

It's been almost a year since I-41 was born, have all the signs been patched/replaced/removed?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

US 41

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 31, 2016, 08:49:15 PM
Quote from: US 41 on January 31, 2016, 08:37:22 PM

It actually runs concurrently with US-41 for its entire length now that US-41 has been re-routed.

That's good. Back in August when I drove through Milwaukee I think US 41 and I-41 split off at the 94/894 interchange near the airport. Glad to see that has changed.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

FightingIrish

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 01, 2016, 11:18:58 AM
It's been almost a year since I-41 was born, have all the signs been patched/replaced/removed?

All the signing for I-41, US 41 and WIS 175 was completed by last fall. However, I have noticed a scant few they missed.

FightingIrish

And, in other I-41 news, the Center St. bridge a few miles north of the Zoo Interchange was demolished over the weekend, as they prepare to rebuild it. The eventual goal is to widen I-41 to four lanes each direction.

TheHighwayMan3561

Not sure, because quite a few still had not been late this summer. I expect especially in more rural areas this may still be the case.

peterj920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 01, 2016, 02:23:46 PM

Not sure, because quite a few still had not been late this summer. I expect especially in more rural areas this may still be the case.

WISDOT said that the signing project would last from June-November, and it did.  They started with BGS' at the Wis 172 interchange, the reassurance signs on the mainline, then started at the Wis 165 interchange and signed all the interchanges and BGS northward. I live in the Green Bay Area, and the interchange signs were put up the 1st week in November.  No end sign at the north end yet.  There is a Begin I-41 BGS just south of the Lineville Rd interchange.  I posted a pic on this thread.

Henry

I think it's great to see I-41 become reality! Route duplication be damned.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Henry on February 02, 2016, 11:25:14 AM
I think it's great to see I-41 become reality! Route duplication be damned.

I think it's time they grew a pair and created Wisconsin Route 41.

NOTE to the thread participants - The Interstate 45 posts have been moved to Fictional highways -sso

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.