Goethals Bridge Replacement

Started by roadman65, October 20, 2014, 10:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 13, 2017, 05:38:29 PM
Looks like more NJTPA VMS gantry setups landed up on the new bridge. The structure's design is nearly identical.

DRBA is using them also. I think that we'll be seeing this design in a lot more places in the future.

lepidopteran

Construction on the second span is progressing well.  On the old structure, several of the approach spans (and a few piers) have been demolished, and the roadway on the main span has been reduced to the beams.

But I've noticed something else, that may or may not be related to the bridge project.

It used to be that when you entered NJ, you were greeted by at least 3 lattice-type high-voltage power line structures.  Sort of an intro to the industrial setting associated with NJTP Exit 13, if you will.  Well, as of this past week, the last of the lattice-style towers along the bridge approach has been removed.  In their place are three new monopole structures, much better looking aesthetically, IMHO.

Pete from Boston

I know there's some traffic displacement due to Bayonne Bridge closures, but this project really highlights for me the NJ Turnpike's need to get into the 21st century with its toll-taking process.  The New Jersey side is a mess of a bottleneck, especially with a huge line at cash lanes coming off the Turnpike.

zachb

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 05, 2017, 03:28:28 PM
I know there's some traffic displacement due to Bayonne Bridge closures, but this project really highlights for me the NJ Turnpike's need to get into the 21st century with its toll-taking process.  The New Jersey side is a mess of a bottleneck, especially with a huge line at cash lanes coming off the Turnpike.

Exactly. A couple weeks ago I was driving from Philly to Long Island and took the Goethals. The exit was so bottlenecked that it took THREE HOURS just to exit the turnpike, go through the toll, and get onto the bridge. NJTA really has to fix something here.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: zachb on November 06, 2017, 07:24:54 AM

Exactly. A couple weeks ago I was driving from Philly to Long Island and took the Goethals. The exit was so bottlenecked that it took THREE HOURS just to exit the turnpike, go through the toll, and get onto the bridge. NJTA really has to fix something here.

(Edited to add): Exactly what day was this?

If the bottleneck was at the bridge, then the NJ Turnpike had nothing to do with it. 

The NJ Turnpike was one of the first to use EZ Pass.  If they went cashless, you'll still need an EZ Pass (or pay via an invoice later, which will incur an additional fee).   So I'm not sure why you're complaining they haven't gotten into the 21st century.  Cashless tolls on the turnpike aren't going to eliminate traffic congestion downstream at the bridge.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 06, 2017, 08:22:25 AM
Quote from: zachb on November 06, 2017, 07:24:54 AM

(Edited to add): Exactly what day was this?

If the bottleneck was at the bridge, then the NJ Turnpike had nothing to do with it. 

The NJ Turnpike was one of the first to use EZ Pass.  If they went cashless, you'll still need an EZ Pass (or pay via an invoice later, which will incur an additional fee).   So I'm not sure why you're complaining they haven't gotten into the 21st century.  Cashless tolls on the turnpike aren't going to eliminate traffic congestion downstream at the bridge.

I didn't get into it any further because I was sure it would get into detailed envisioning of interchange redesign, which was more than I wanted to bite off.

But taking out the need for the 18th-century concept of "toll booth" drastically frees up the possibility more more efficient movements.  The time has come to think of something better than shunting all the vehicles into several football fields' worth of pavement then into a ridiculous bottleneck of weaving there.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: lepidopteran on November 04, 2017, 11:20:57 PM
It used to be that when you entered NJ, you were greeted by at least 3 lattice-type high-voltage power line structures.  Sort of an intro to the industrial setting associated with NJTP Exit 13, if you will.  Well, as of this past week, the last of the lattice-style towers along the bridge approach has been removed.  In their place are three new monopole structures, much better looking aesthetically, IMHO.

I wonder if the phase conductors were upgraded enough to require new insulator strings and structures on which to hang everything?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

PSE&G locally has been upgrading to monopoles with much higher voltage wiring (345kV). The structures and wiring are easier to maintain too.

https://www.enr.com/articles/39085-nj-utility-turns-switch-on-billion-dollar-rewire

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 08, 2017, 03:25:21 PM
PSE&G locally has been upgrading to monopoles with much higher voltage wiring (345kV). The structures and wiring are easier to maintain too.

https://www.enr.com/articles/39085-nj-utility-turns-switch-on-billion-dollar-rewire

They installed these near Exit 11 for a project upgrading the transmission lines from Seawaren to Metuchen Yard. You can also see them running down the side of Rt 1 through Edison, and crossing the Parkway near 130.

lepidopteran

As of last night (1/15), the main span of the (old) Goethals Bridge has been removed.  In a similar manner to the Kosciusko Bridge, the span has been lowered with pulleys down to a barge, where it will be taken to a recycler.  There are still a few approach spans remaining on either side.

With the second new span connected but not open, for a while there were 3 Goethals spans, thus a record 6 bridges between Staten Island and NJ -- if you include the rail lift bridge.

See also
http://www.silive.com/news/2018/01/iconic_goethals_bridge_is_dism.html

dgolub

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 16, 2018, 10:57:30 PM
As of last night (1/15), the main span of the (old) Goethals Bridge has been removed.  In a similar manner to the Kosciusko Bridge, the span has been lowered with pulleys down to a barge, where it will be taken to a recycler.  There are still a few approach spans remaining on either side.

With the second new span connected but not open, for a while there were 3 Goethals spans, thus a record 6 bridges between Staten Island and NJ -- if you include the rail lift bridge.

See also

Wait, what's the sixth?  I'm counting five: old Goethals, new Goethals, Outerbridge, Bayonne, and the rail bridge.

1995hoo

Quote from: dgolub on January 17, 2018, 09:03:33 AM
Quote from: lepidopteran on January 16, 2018, 10:57:30 PM

See also

Wait, what's the sixth?  I'm counting five: old Goethals, new Goethals, Outerbridge, Bayonne, and the rail bridge.

New Goethals has twin spans and presumably counts as two.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

lepidopteran

As of approximately 4:00 this afternoon, the last section of through-truss of the old bridge span has been removed.

Several sections of approach span still remain on either side of the river, but presumably not for long.

The new WB span is coming along nicely, but I think they won't open it as hastily as they did the EB span.

Mr. Matté

Roadwarriors79

The new WB span opened Sunday night (5/20). Video below of the WB drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4HnWavXiiM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.