News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Covered Bridges of Lyndon, VT - May 9, 2015

Started by froggie, March 17, 2015, 08:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which weekend works best for you for a Lyndonville, VT mini-meet?

May 9-10
May 23-24
May 30-31
June 6-7
June 13-14
June 20th (Saturday only)

froggie

I've decided to hold this on May 9th...it's the date that got the most votes and appears to have the least impact to those in the Northeast who are heading out to Denver.

We will meet at 11:30am at a park-and-ride off VT 122 right next to one of the bridges, the Miller's Run Bridge.  The park-and-ride is located here.

We'll decide on lunch from the P&R (it'll depend on preferences and how many people show up), and then tour the bridges after lunch.  Optional side trips (time and interest-permitting) include a world-famous brewery or a nearby wind power farm (which I recently learned one can drive right up to).

Old post below:

------------------

At one point in history, the town of Lyndon, VT had 19 covered bridges within the town limits.  The great flood of 1927 wiped out 6 of them.  Attrition and replacement have whittled the number down further, to where only 5 remain.  Neighboring St. Johnsbury also had 19 covered bridges, but all of theirs were lost.

This mini-meet (I'm calling it a mini-meet as the covered bridges are the singular focus) will explore the 5 remaining covered bridges in Lyndon, and drive the two of them that are still driveable.  I'm looking at hosting this in the 2nd half of May or the 1st half of June, somewhere between the college's graduation weekend and Father's Day weekend.  A quick search of the meet threads suggests only one meet currently planned during this timeframe (and, with one notable exception already mentioned, an unlikely chance of duplication between meet attendees.  The poll is to determine the best weekend to host this.

There are no restaurants in the area with rooms large enough to host the typical meet gathering-size.  That said, we may still gather at a local eatery and just commandeer multiple tables/booths as needed if we have a large entourage (similar to the Burlington meet dinner of a couple years ago).

Duke87

June 13-14 is the only one of those four weekends that I could conceivably attend. May 23-24, May 30-31, and June 6-7 will all be occupied by two weeks of me driving all over creation with a stop in Denver for a road meet in the middle of it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on March 17, 2015, 11:47:43 AM
June 13-14 is the only one of those four weekends that I could conceivably attend. May 23-24, May 30-31, and June 6-7 will all be occupied by two weeks of me driving all over creation with a stop in Denver for a road meet in the middle of it.

I have a similar schedule conflict with the Denver meet, except I'm not even sure I'll be back from Colorado in time for the weekend of June 13-14. Otherwise I'd be up for this.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

I've added an option for Saturday, June 20th...that Sunday is unavailable due to prior commitments, and I'd prefer not to do it during the summer heat so July/August is out.

vdeane

I've put in a vote for the four dates that aren't Memorial Day weekend (which I typically spend with relatives in Canandaigua Lake), but the two later ones MAY conflict with the family picnic (which has traditionally been mid-late June the past few years, but I won't know the exact date until much closer).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

Highly doubt I would be able to make this since I am set for Denver and traveling to the southwest in July but wouls like to get back up to that part of the USA sometime.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

oscar

Quote from: froggie on March 17, 2015, 01:02:37 PM
I've added an option for Saturday, June 20th...that Sunday is unavailable due to prior commitments, and I'd prefer not to do it during the summer heat so July/August is out.

Is late April/early May out, too?

I cast my only vote for June 20, but even that date I'm a "maybe".

Duke87

Okay, so June 20th is preferable to June 13th but I already voted and can't unvote/revote.

froggie

QuoteIs late April/early May out, too?

Val is doing Utica/Rome on the 2nd.  Early May is also end of the semester so is a busy time.  I can possibly do late April...but given the weather this winter, I can't rule out lingering snow.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on March 17, 2015, 07:48:50 PM
Okay, so June 20th is preferable to June 13th but I already voted and can't unvote/revote.
Now you can.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on March 17, 2015, 09:47:12 PM

Val is doing Utica/Rome on the 2nd.  Early May is also end of the semester so is a busy time.  I can possibly do late April...but given the weather this winter, I can't rule out lingering snow.

Incidentally, the reason why I put Utica/Rome on the 2nd was to clear a Cincinnati meet that's been postponed.  Since Cincinnati is no longer happening in May, that frees up May 16/17 from a meet perspective, though I don't know what your schedule's like then.  It would likely result in fewer conflicts with the Denver meet that everyone and their dog is going to.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Quotethat frees up May 16/17 from a meet perspective, though I don't know what your schedule's like then.

That's graduation weekend at Lyndon State...not a good weekend to have a meet in the same town.

vdeane

I would expect that June 20 would be less likely to conflict with the family picnic than June 13/14 would (judging by past years), though it's not a sure thing.

Dougtone

Quote from: froggie on March 17, 2015, 09:47:12 PM

Plus, that late April/early May time frame is part of mud season

froggie

After further consideration (and looking at my calendar), I have reset the poll and added the weekend of May 9-10.  If you had voted previously, please re-vote.

froggie

Has everyone who previously voted re-voted?  Highest vote right now only has two.

adamjackson

voted!

Busy a lot of weekends in the summer but 2 of those are open.
I'm a project manager for North America and other regions for TomTom!

Tell us about map changes you observe on Map Share Reporter
http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Dougtone

I've voted on a couple of weekends that I thought may work best for me.

vdeane

So it turns out the Family Picnic will be the weekend of the 28th this year, so you can add an additional vote for the 13/14th and the 20th.  I had voted for the other dates that were not Memorial Day weekend.

vdeane

When can we expect to have the date chosen?

froggie

As of present, May 9th (or 10th) is the leading vote getter.  Anyone have a preference or objection to that weekend?  For me, it's the weekend before finals, but I think I can still make it work.

oscar

Quote from: froggie on April 12, 2015, 11:05:09 AM
As of present, May 9th (or 10th) is the leading vote getter.  Anyone have a preference or objection to that weekend?  For me, it's the weekend before finals, but I think I can still make it work.

FWIW, that's now the only weekend that could work for me. Various schedule conflicts rule me out for any of the late May or June dates.

Duke87

I'd prefer June 20th to May 9th since my girlfriend might be able to come with for the former but has a definite schedule conflict for the latter.

adamjackson

Not sure if these are on the docket or not but VT's only floating bridge is re-opening May 23rd - https://www.facebook.com/NewFloatingBridge
I'm a project manager for North America and other regions for TomTom!

Tell us about map changes you observe on Map Share Reporter
http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

froggie

A bit far to be on the docket...it's about an hour-15 one-way from here.  But good to know for future reference.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.