News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 92/FL 580 interchange

Started by andycal90, May 25, 2015, 06:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andycal90

Here's the interchange for US 92 and FL 580 in Tampa, Florida. At one point, an expressway was planned to run north up Dale Mabry Highway from Interstate 275 to the then-developing Carrollwood and Northdale areas. The expressway idea was abandoned, but two interchanges were built–one at Hillsborough Avenue and one at Gunn Highway/Busch Boulevard–and they are among the only reminders of the expressway that never was.

Dale Mabry Highway carries US 92 from Gandy Boulevard to the Hillsborough Avenue parclo interchange (built in 1963, apparently), where US 92 moves onto Hillsborough Avenue. FL 580 enters the county on Hillsborough Avenue and then turns north up Dale Mabry for about 2.5 miles before heading east down Busch Boulevard. This view shows the offramp from northbound Dale Mabry. Turning right would put you on eastbound US 92 and turning left would put you on westbound FL 580.

A close-up of the highway shields by the traffic light. FL 589 is about a mile and a half to the west and is the Veterans Expressway.

This sign assembly is on the curve of the offramp a few yards ahead of the traffic light. I-275 is about three miles to the east.

Also on the offramp is this unusual FL 589 sign that does not a feature green or yellow background in the toll portion. I've never seen a sign like this. I don't know if it is a mistake or just very old.

Westbound traffic on US 92 (Hillsborough Avenue) approaching the interchange would first see this overhead sign directing traffic to eastbound FL 580 (northbound Dale Mabry).

And then this is the next sign they would see, for westbound US 92 (southbound Dale Mabry).

Proceeding straight under the interchange, westbound Hillsborough Avenue traffic would see this reassurance shield, showing that the street is now westbound FL 580.

Close-up of the same shield.

Another view of westbound FL 580 (Hillsborough Avenue). The backside of Tampa Airport is about a mile ahead on the left, immediately followed by an interchange with FL 589 (Veterans Expressway).

Heading eastbound down Hillsborough Avenue, traffic first sees this overhead sign.

Traffic then sees this overhead sign. From this point eastward, Hillsborough Avenue is now US 92.

Looking at the overpass from the east.

This ramp carries traffic exiting from southbound Dale Mabry.

FL 589 shield on the same offramp. The numbers seem off here, too close together or something. I wonder how quick FDOT will be with replacing these with the new yellow toll signs?

The ramp on the right side of the frame is the ramp that carries traffic from eastbound Hillsborough Avenue (FL 580) onto southbound Dale Mabry Highway (US 92). Tampa Stadium is a mile ahead on the left.

This view shows traffic on the Dale Mabry overpass, looking north. Even though the expressway was never built, I'm glad we ended up with this interchange. I can only imagine how bad this intersection would be if it was a regular signalized one. (On a side note, northbound traffic leaves Tampa city limits almost as soon they get over the bridge. Tampa Police like to hang out at night with their radar guns along the stretch of road on the south side of the overpass. There's no traffic light for one mile until Dale Mabry hits MLK (FL 574) and it can become a bit of a drag strip late at night).

And that's that. I took these pictures on May 21, 2015. I hope I explained everything correctly. Any comments would be appreciated.

NE2

I don't think the interchanges were built for the unbuilt expressway, merely to improve traffic flow along what was then a new bypass.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: andycal90 on May 25, 2015, 06:20:09 PM
Here's the interchange for US 92 and FL 580 in Tampa, Florida. At one point, an expressway was planned to run north up Dale Mabry Highway from Interstate 275 to the then-developing Carrollwood and Northdale areas. The expressway idea was abandoned, but two interchanges were built–one at Hillsborough Avenue and one at Gunn Highway/Busch Boulevard–and they are among the only reminders of the expressway that never was.

Per Justin's old research, Dale Mabry Highway was planned to be upgraded to a partially access controlled parkway in 1981. The two interchanges were the only upgrades that took place as the increasing business presence along the road led to the cancellation of further upgrades.

formulanone

I've seen one other toll shield with a white legend. There must be 6 state varieties in the wild: white (which seem rare), yellow, green caps, the state outlines in either black or orange, and the white-on-green signs.

That bottom Toll 589 sign is using Series C (or is it B?) instead of the usual Series E.

D-Dey65

Quote from: andycal90 on May 25, 2015, 06:20:09 PM
A close-up of the highway shields by the traffic light. FL 589 is about a mile and a half to the west and is the Veterans Expressway.

This sign assembly is on the curve of the offramp a few yards ahead of the traffic light. I-275 is about three miles to the east.

The "Toll 589" sign should be on the same sign tree as the FL 580/US 92 sign, just like one with the I-275 sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.