News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Protestors Suspended below St. John's Bridge (Bypass US 30) in Portland

Started by andy3175, July 29, 2015, 09:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

News from Portland this morning ... Since the activity described involves a road/bridge and is quite something to see (the pictures show how this barricade below the bridge is being placed), I figured you'd want to see this piece.

http://www.kptv.com/story/29658459/greenpeace-protesters-hang-off-st-johns-bridge-to-block-ships-passage

QuoteThirteen protesters from the environmental activism group Greenpeace rappelled over the side of the St. Johns Bridge Wednesday morning in an attempt to prevent a ship from leaving the area on its way to the arctic for an oil drilling operation. ...

The protest is an attempt to prevent the MSV Fennica, a Shell Oil icebreaking vessel, from leaving the Port of Portland, where it has been undergoing repairs.

Greenpeace said the ship must be at the drilling site before Shell can reapply for federal approval to drill, so they planned to do their best to prevent that from happening. ...

The protest was not affecting vehicle traffic on the bridge, but the sidewalks were blocked.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Rothman

Reminds me of a time when they tried to stop a Russian oil tanker with their "Rainbow Warrior" boat back in the mid '90s.  Russians just laughed and essentially bellowed "RAMMING SPEED!" and sunk the little thing, plucking the hippies out of the water.  Ran on Russian news for days to much laughter.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Henry

I am not the least bit surprised that Portlanders will voice their opposition to everything transportation-related!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Good on them.
The most creative non-violent protest I have ever seen.  My hat's off to those folks willing to dangle there during a brutal heat wave.  The fact that it was over 100 degrees in Portland during this showdown makes it all the more extraordinary.

I'll be sure to remember this incident in a few years when the first offshore well in the Bering Sea goes "whoopsie" and starts polluting all of our seafood.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2015, 10:04:51 AM
Reminds me of a time when they tried to stop a Russian oil tanker with their "Rainbow Warrior" boat back in the mid '90s.  Russians just laughed and essentially bellowed "RAMMING SPEED!" and sunk the little thing, plucking the hippies out of the water.  Ran on Russian news for days to much laughter.

Much laughter, and an "assault with a deadly weapon" charge for the captain, I hope.

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on July 31, 2015, 04:18:43 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2015, 10:04:51 AM

Much laughter, and an "assault with a deadly weapon" charge for the captain, I hope.

This was in Russian waters.  Nothing happened to the captain/crew.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TravelingBethelite

This made it to the NBC news site (national). Are they still there?  :hmmm:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Rothman

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 01, 2015, 09:46:03 PM
This made it to the NBC news site (national). Are they still there?  :hmmm:

The fact that your signature attributes that quote to Rascal Flatts makes me facepalm hard.

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Rothman

Bickendan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.