News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-90 / Mass Pike Signing Work

Started by bob7374, August 14, 2015, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

QuoteQuote from: KEVIN_224 on July 10, 2017, 08:48:26 PM

So I see the new eastbound sign for I-84 also omits the reference for US Route 20. Is it the same reason MA Route 128 doesn't appear on the new I-95 signs in Weston?

No.  Such is likely due to the I-84/US 20 junction being a separate, independent interchange.  Note: there will be supplemental signage for US 20 erected for Exit 9 (if not already).

Remember that US 20 was not originally part of the Exit 9 designation.  Back in the I-86 days, the signing for Exit 9 had I-86 and Route 15 shields, with Hartford and New York City.  As part of the route change from I-86 back to I-84 in the mid-1980s, the Route 15 designation was discontinued on I-84 east of Hartford.  At the time, Pike forces simply replaced the Route 15 shields with US 20 ones, even though US 20 doesn't serve either of the destinations on the signs.  In the mid-1990s, this error was carried through to the signs now being replaced.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman on July 11, 2017, 02:45:57 PM

So I see the new eastbound sign for I-84 also omits the reference for US Route 20. Is it the same reason MA Route 128 doesn't appear on the new I-95 signs in Weston?

No.  Such is likely due to the I-84/US 20 junction being a separate, independent interchange.  Note: there will be supplemental signage for US 20 erected for Exit 9 (if not already).

Remember that US 20 was not originally part of the Exit 9 designation.  Back in the I-86 days, the signing for Exit 9 had I-86 and Route 15 shields, with Hartford and New York City.  As part of the route change from I-86 back to I-84 in the mid-1980s, the Route 15 designation was discontinued on I-84 east of Hartford.  At the time, Pike forces simply replaced the Route 15 shields with US 20 ones, even though US 20 doesn't serve either of the destinations on the signs.  In the mid-1990s, this error was carried through to the signs now being replaced.

Looks like a similar correction was made in Palmer at Exit 8, as the US 20 reference was also removed from that signage and it only lists MA 32.  In that case, MA 20 is almost a mile south of the interchange. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 11, 2017, 02:59:40 PM
Quote from: roadman on July 11, 2017, 02:45:57 PM

Looks like a similar correction was made in Palmer at Exit 8, as the US 20 reference was also removed from that signage and it only lists MA 32.  In that case, MA 20 is almost a mile south of the interchange. 

'TO 20' was added to the Exit 8 signs when they were replaced as part of the 1995 signing project.  Prior to that time, as with the recently-installed signs, Exit 8 only referenced MA 32.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

KEVIN_224

The signs looked mostly the same at Exit 9 in Sturbridge...except for a big yellow sign warning about a traffic merge. It's on the westbound mainline, immediately after the Exit 9 off ramp.

I finally got to see the new versions of the Exit 10 signs in Auburn. Why New London and not Norwich? Huh?

RobbieL2415

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 13, 2017, 09:49:25 PM
The signs looked mostly the same at Exit 9 in Sturbridge...except for a big yellow sign warning about a traffic merge. It's on the westbound mainline, immediately after the Exit 9 off ramp.

I finally got to see the new versions of the Exit 10 signs in Auburn. Why New London and not Norwich? Huh?

Well, New London is the county seat, after all :-D

roadman65

New London, CT is the city near where I-395 ends at its parent route.  Even though not the city limits itself, it is close to it.  With this said there is, however, no connection to NB I-95 that goes to its center it has exits before its terminus that lead to the large city.

Also, I thought CT has no county seats?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

Quote from: roadman65 on July 13, 2017, 11:09:03 PM
New London, CT is the city near where I-395 ends at its parent route.  Even though not the city limits itself, it is close to it.  Though no connection to NB I-95 it has exits before its terminus that lead to the large city.

Also, I thought CT has no county seats?
It hasn't since 1960.  Sheriffs were eliminated in 2000.

Alps

I would have failed the question as to which has higher population.

JJBers

Quote from: Alps on July 13, 2017, 11:20:14 PM

I would have failed the question as to which has higher population.
Norwich, but that also may be the fact that Norwich is much larger than New London in population and land area, plus I-395 actually does run through Norwich, while it strays to the east of New London. A even better case for proximity would be Putnam, but that's only 9,000 people.
But the reason New London is used is becuase the fact that it is a major stop on I-95 and the for eastern coastline of Connecticut. Also Norwich is kinda is a tossover on I-395.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

KEVIN_224

I-395 ends to the west of New London, in Waterford. Anyways, this is reminding me of the small "To (Mass Pike logo)" sign you used to see on I-95 North, just before the I-395 Exit.

Getting back to I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike...the bridge overpass street signs (blades?) are now a bit big. They also look identical to ones I saw along the Everett Turnpike (portions US Route 3) in New Hampshire on Wednesday.

roadman65

New London is far strange to control cities being signed in the nationwide system.  You have Benson now in NC, which is only used on I-95 and I-40 cause the two routes meet there.    Even though eb on I-40 Wilmington should mainly be used from Raliegh eastward, and Fayetteville SB on I-95 from Rocky Mount southward that are much bigger places.  Then now Corning has come to fame in NYS due to I-99 and I-86 meeting there which removes Elmira from signs along NY 17 in Binghamton, NY especially along I-81. 

This new interstate junction thing is going to be the norm despite the population of the area around the interchanges.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kefkafloyd

A new Big Yellow Sign went up right before the Blandford service plaza, warning all truckers about the steep grade and to test brakes. This is pretty new as I don't recall seeing it a month ago the last time I went eastbound on the turnpike.

bob7374

Traveling the eastern section of the Pike between I-95/Route 128 and I-495 this past weekend, not much to report except for a few more orange contractor tags placed where the new overhead signs will go. I noticed one westbound just after the merge in Weston, this will be for exit and pull-through signs eastbound at the I-95 exit, the concrete barrier in the median apparently not able to support the sign support. There is also one eastbound indicating the 2-Mile advance sign for Exit 14 I-95 will be 1/4 mile after the current bridge-mounted sign in Weston. Some of the photos taken of these and other tags are available at:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html

From perusing the MassDOT traffic cameras, the contractors completed putting up a foundation for one of the overhead signs for Exit 9 westbound near MA 49 a couple weeks ago, have been checking back frequently waiting to see when the sign supports go up. From an e-mail I got recently, apparently new signs have been placed at least westbound for Exits 7, 6, 5 and 3. The last confirmed through traffic cameras in Westfield.

Beeper1

At least some new signs are in place for all exits on the western part of the pike, except for Exit 1 (presumably waiting for the toll plaza removal project to wrap up).  At exit 2 the WB signs are in place, though the EB ones are still the old ones.

DrSmith

It seems like most of the new overhead signs are up along the western Pike that use a single post. Roadway spanning overhead structures are still the older ones. A lot of the ground mounted signs are not up yet either (except for some of the ones near I-84 and I-290/395). A lot of the regulatory/warning signs have also been replaced using new I-beam posts for everything

PHLBOS

Quote from: DrSmith on August 30, 2017, 08:35:04 PM
It seems like most of the new overhead signs are up along the western Pike that use a single post. Roadway spanning overhead structures are still the older ones. A lot of the ground mounted signs are not up yet either (except for some of the ones near I-84 and I-290/395). A lot of the regulatory/warning signs have also been replaced using new I-beam posts for everything
Personal take (& I noticed such too when I was up there last week): it appears the full-width sign bridge gantries are scheduled to be replaced later on in the project.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

I was on the Pike west of Lee this evening. Only new signs are the bridge signs: black street names are gone and replaced with the green MassDOT style street name/town signs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 31, 2017, 08:24:41 AM
Personal take (& I noticed such too when I was up there last week): it appears the full-width sign bridge gantries are scheduled to be replaced later on in the project.

Yes, that is normally the case for larger sign and support replacement projects of this type - fabrication schedule is normally cantilevers first, then the longer full span structures.

kefkafloyd

Quote from: cl94 on September 07, 2017, 09:01:06 PM
I was on the Pike west of Lee this evening. Only new signs are the bridge signs: black street names are gone and replaced with the green MassDOT style street name/town signs.

They're not quite the same, the new pike overpass signs are a completely different style than previous green bridge signs seen around the state. They're very similar to ones I've seen in New Hampshire (size of sign, style of FHWA font with mixed case). Still unclear if new signing projects will use these, as the other recently completed signing projects in the past year were still using the shorter sign style with all-caps.

cl94

Quote from: kefkafloyd on September 08, 2017, 03:20:17 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 07, 2017, 09:01:06 PM

They're not quite the same, the new pike overpass signs are a completely different style than previous green bridge signs seen around the states. They're very similar to ones I've seen in New Hampshire (size of sign, style of FHWA font with mixed case). Still unclear if new signing projects will use these, as the other recently completed signing projects in the past year were still using the shorter sign style with all-caps.

MassDOT, at least in the western part of the state, has gone mixed-case with everything in the past couple months. I've seen a few mixed-case paddles out there, notably US 20/MA 8 south of Becket village (which shocked me quite a bit when I saw it yesterday). I wouldn't be shocked in the least bit if mixed-case everything is the new standard.

*Edit: wrote all-caps instead of mixed-case
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on September 08, 2017, 03:32:34 PMI wouldn't be shocked in the least bit if all-caps everything is the new standard.
You have that backwards.  All-caps was the old standard.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 08, 2017, 05:43:32 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 08, 2017, 03:32:34 PMI wouldn't be shocked in the least bit if all-caps everything is the new standard.
You have that backwards.  All-caps was the old standard.

Yes, I do have that backwards. I meant mixed-case. Corrected. Thanks.

bob7374

Looks like there will be plenty of new signage going up along the Pike and its interchanges the next couple of weeks as part of the toll plaza demolition project, information taken from the MassDOT project Contruction Updates page:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/TollPlazaDemolitionProject/ConstructionUpdates.aspx

At Exit 2 (US 20), permanent signage is to go up over the nights of Sept. 18-20 as well as Sept. 25.
At Exit 9 (I-84), overhead sign structures (which Roadman said would be Mass. first APLs) go up overnight Sept. 17 + 18.
At Exit 10 (I-290/I-395), the overhead sign structures will go up overnight on Sept. 19.
At Exit 10A (MA 146), the overheads signs will go up overnight on Sept. 20.
At Exit 11A (I-495), the overhead signs will be installed during night work on Sept. 21, 24 and 25.
At Exit 14 (I-95/MA 128), overhead signage for the ramp from I-90 West to I-95 North and South will be installed overnight Sept. 20.
At Exit 20 (Allston-Brighton WB), overhead signage for ramp to Cambridge St. will be put up overnight on Sept. 20 and 21, guide signage will be put up between Sept. 17 and 20.

I hope to get out to at least some of these locations by the end of the month to get some photos.

SidS1045

Quote from: bob7374 on September 15, 2017, 11:54:14 PM
Looks like there will be plenty of new signage going up along the Pike and its interchanges the next couple of weeks as part of the toll plaza demolition project, information taken from the MassDOT project Contruction Updates page:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/TollPlazaDemolitionProject/ConstructionUpdates.aspx

At Exit 2 (US 20), permanent signage is to go up over the nights of Sept. 18-20 as well as Sept. 25.
At Exit 9 (I-84), overhead sign structures (which Roadman said would be Mass. first APLs) go up overnight Sept. 17 + 18.
At Exit 10 (I-290/I-395), the overhead sign structures will go up overnight on Sept. 19.
At Exit 11A (I-495), the overhead signs will be installed during night work on Sept. 21, 24 and 25.
At Exit 14 (I-95/MA 128), overhead signage for the ramp from I-90 West to I-95 North and South will be installed overnight Sept. 20.
At Exit 20 (Allston-Brighton WB), overhead signage for ramp to Cambridge St. will be put up overnight on Sept. 20 and 21, guide signage will be put up between Sept. 17 and 20.

I hope to get out to at least some of these locations by the end of the month to get some photos.

I'd almost bet some of these installs will be postponed, with Tropical Storm José on its way and due to hit on Tuesday 9/19 into Wednesday 9/20.  Putting up BGS's on overheads during high winds might be a tad difficult...and dangerous.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

hotdogPi

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 18, 2017, 03:35:26 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on September 15, 2017, 11:54:14 PM

I'd almost bet some of these installs will be postponed, with Tropical Storm José on its way and due to hit on Tuesday 9/19 into Wednesday 9/20.  Putting up BGS's on overheads during high winds might be a tad difficult...and dangerous.

Winds are expected to get into the 15-20 range, with gusts around 35. Slightly less in western Massachusetts.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.