News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

FL 200 & FL AIA

Started by Avalanchez71, June 07, 2016, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

So why the long concurrency?

NE2

SR A1A follows the coast and returns to US 1. SR 200 existed before SR A1A was extended across the Mayport Ferry, and was kept.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Avalanchez71

When was that decision made?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NE2 on June 07, 2016, 06:51:12 PM
SR A1A follows the coast and returns to US 1. SR 200 existed before SR A1A was extended across the Mayport Ferry, and was kept.

Isn't the part of FL 10 that isn't co-signed with US 90 the old A1A route?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

I remember when I was little.. before 1980 the BGS on I-95 did not have SR200 listed.. not sure if it was signed on reassurance markers.

Interestingly 200 is signed East/West.. A1A lacks direction banners

roadman65

In 2009 it did have E-W banners for both routes coming off of I-95 near Yulee.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on June 08, 2016, 07:15:19 PM
In 2009 it did have E-W banners for both routes coming off of I-95 near Yulee.
I haven't been out that way in a while. I'll have to check it out

roadman65

For the longest time FL 200 was not even signed in Callahan, but FL A1A was.  I do not know if that is still the case, but I distinctly remember Adam Prince posting his photo of it SB on US 1, 23, and 301 on an assembly showing no direction either and no FL 200.

It was kind of interesting that everyplace else showed both roads but at the source.  I even had a photo of a shield NB on US 301 entering the intersection there with no direction, but a shield and arrow.  It was posted on someone's website, but I cannot remember which one as it was ages ago, and I would have to look to find the photo in one of the many large boxes I have a photos back when film was the means to capture images.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

FL 200 is posted leaving US 1-23-301 but does not appear to be posted at that intersection from any direction.

https://goo.gl/maps/JD878CVtLeE2

There is a FL A1A EAST posting on a BGS on SB 1-23-301.

A1A and 200 also posted E-W from the ramps in both directions of I-95, plus WB leaving 95.

Both are posted E-W from either direction on US 17 but only 200 has a direction banner either direction leaving US 17.

It is a mixed bag at FL 108.

It appears the first A1A South shield is NB 8th approaching the turn onto Atlantic Ave in Fernandina Beach.  Heading the opposite way A1A has no banners before or after the turn.

The last A1A North posting is at the turn leaving the oceanfront.

jwolfer

SR 200 ends in Fernandina.  It is signed up to 8th Street

Eth

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 12, 2016, 08:06:00 PM
[The status of A1A/200] is a mixed bag at FL 108.

Speaking of 108, what is its status? When I was at Amelia in 2013 I never saw any indication of the number. Poking around in Street View I see a single CR 108 sign approaching the roundabout on northbound A1A at the east end and nothing on the route itself. FDOT's 2016 map has CR 108 marked, so I assume that must still be accurate.

roadman65

This all falls under FDOT District 2, which has a lot to be desired as far as signage goes.

Another bad example is SR 228.  If you look at SR 228 in Jacksonville, they for some reason removed its signs along the Commodore Point Expressway.  At its eastern Terminus along US 90 has no more mention of it and just list names on the overhead sign assembly there and no shields at all to be found along its alignment thereafter.

US 90 Alternate also is signed either scarce to none.

So why would this be any different.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on June 18, 2016, 09:27:25 AM
This all falls under FDOT District 2, which has a lot to be desired as far as signage goes.

Another bad example is SR 228.  If you look at SR 228 in Jacksonville, they for some reason removed its signs along the Commodore Point Expressway.  At its eastern Terminus along US 90 has no more mention of it and just list names on the overhead sign assembly there and no shields at all to be found along its alignment thereafter.

US 90 Alternate also is signed either scarce to none.

So why would this be any different.
I have never seen SR 228 signs on the Hart Bridge or the Hart Bridge Expressway east of downtown at all since 1990, the BGSs back in 1990 were really old as well.  It could be that the bridge and road were build by the Jacksonville Expressway Authority( now JTA) there were SR 228 signs on Forsythe and Adams Streets leading through downtown Jacksonville

SR 228 was signed very well west from downtown along the College/Post one way pairs.. it has since been routed on I-10 from Us17 east . It was always signed well along Normandy Blvd to 301. FDOT has a Duval County 228 west shield at the intersection with 301. Duval does not sign any of their CRs.

jwolfer

Quote from: Eth on June 13, 2016, 06:58:02 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on June 12, 2016, 08:06:00 PM
[The status of A1A/200] is a mixed bag at FL 108.

Speaking of 108, what is its status? When I was at Amelia in 2013 I never saw any indication of the number. Poking around in Street View I see a single CR 108 sign approaching the roundabout on northbound A1A at the east end and nothing on the route itself. FDOT's 2016 map has CR 108 marked, so I assume that must still be accurate.
108 is a weird route in several pieces.  It is signed from CR 121 east through Hilliard, but the section fro US1/23/301 in Callahan west to 121 no signs at all.

Speaking of CR 121.. it should have been given a different number.  FL 121 goes thru Macclenny and switches to GA 121/23 at the state line, just a few miles to the west of CR 121.  Florida SR 23 used to be with SR 121( like in GA) so there are the alphabet of CR 23a -CR 23f in Baker County.  Now SR 23 is the first coast outer beltway

US 23 should be truncated to Alma, GA anyway too many 23s near Jacksonville.

It seems like Florida, Georgia and South Carolina wanted a US121 and FL and GA even kept secret SR 23, although not soaecret in GA

roadman65

US 23 should be truncated is right! Even in Waycross the southern part of US 23 Business is not signed.  Only US 1 gets signed a business except north of the city where it and the secret GA 4 all get signed as a concurrency.

Heck, I heard from some road geek in GA that most of US 23 in the Peach State is never referred to by locals as such.  Its always a concurring route that they call it in  everyday reference, so would anyone miss it?  Probably not.

In Florida it has no use anymore since I-10 and I-75 were built as part of the interstate system.  The former Jacksonville to Atlanta crowd that once used the route now use the freeways instead.

Or another option is to have it use GA 23 south of Folkston, and then follow FL 121 to Lebanon Station, FL and end at US 19/98.  The three state SR 121 will never get the US designation it so call deserves so why not just eliminate FL 121 or give it to the planned Jacksonville Outer Beltway instead.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

It cannot receive status without application to AASHTO.  Have you considered contacting FDOT, GDOT and SCDOT?

roadman65

Most states require a hearing from the townsfolks in the area.  Whether FDOT would comply with one private citizen for the rerouting of US 23, it along with Charlton County, GA and GDOT the same, as it would require Charlton County also to have the folks there have a public hearing.

As far as a US 121 instead of the FL-GA-SC 121, I am not that desperate to get that changed over, and besides rumor has it that AASSHTO already approved some other state to get a US 121.  I doubt the traffic on it anyway warrants its upgrade.  Most of what I say is ideal but not urgent..

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2016, 04:47:42 PM
As far as a US 121 instead of the FL-GA-SC 121, I am not that desperate to get that changed over, and besides rumor has it that AASSHTO already approved some other state to get a US 121.  I doubt the traffic on it anyway warrants its upgrade.  Most of what I say is ideal but not urgent..

That would be the planned Coalfields Expressway in from US 23 in southwest VA(near Pound) to I-64/I-77 near Beckley, WV.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.