News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-75 Construction in Campbell County, TN

Started by kennyshark, June 27, 2016, 12:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyshark

Happy Monday, my fellow roadgeeks.  Quick question-I understand there were some lane closures over the weekend related to bridge construction on I-75 in Campbell County, TN.  (MM 128 near Rocky Top.)

How long will these lane closures be going on?  And what kind of backup might I expect on a typical Sunday afternoon?

I am curious because I'm driving from Michigan to Pigeon Forge, TN (with an overnight stop just south of Cincy) in about three weeks' time and, being the anal-retentive traveler that I am, would like to know for planning purposes.

hbelkins

Quote from: kennyshark on June 27, 2016, 12:59:44 PM
Happy Monday, my fellow roadgeeks.  Quick question-I understand there were some lane closures over the weekend related to bridge construction on I-75 in Campbell County, TN.  (MM 128 near Rocky Top.)

How long will these lane closures be going on?  And what kind of backup might I expect on a typical Sunday afternoon?

I am curious because I'm driving from Michigan to Pigeon Forge, TN (with an overnight stop just south of Cincy) in about three weeks' time and, being the anal-retentive traveler that I am, would like to know for planning purposes.

Traffic on I-75 across Pine Mountain (widely called Jellico Mountain) is subject to being jammed up most any time on a weekend, construction or not.

I much prefer taking US 25E through the Cumberland Gap Tunnel to Morristown, then I-81 to I-40.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kennyshark

Thanks much.  I just might consider that option. 

Georgia

I drove through the construction site last week, and as you rightly note, I always receive updates from TDOT about how bad the traffic is through that stretch.  I found this was not the  case on a Wednesday during the day at least; it was slow but not gridlocked or anything.

On Sunday, i would advise the alternate listed above though.

hbelkins

OTOH, Rocky Top used to be Lake City, if I'm not mistaken. There's a parallel state route in that area (the old alignment of US 25W) that could be used as a relief route, depending on the exact spot where the construction is ongoing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Yes, used to be Lake City, we have a store there, I actually worked at that store one night last year swapping out there back office server.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Avalanchez71

Has business been up since the city changed the name?  I watched the House and Senate committee meetings when that issue was brought before the General Assembly and the city stated that they thought it would drive up business with the name change.

allniter89

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Georgia

Quote from: allniter89 on June 29, 2016, 09:43:05 PM
Why did they change the name?

pandering to the University of Tennessee crowd.

Avalanchez71

The city thought it would generate revenue as tourists would come see Rocky Top.  "Rocky Top" is iconic in Tennessee culture.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.