News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

July mini-meet in Waterton Lakes area of SW Alberta?

Started by oscar, June 29, 2016, 11:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

I'm planning to finish off my remaining county equivalents in Canada, at my "save-for-last" jurisdiction (an "improvement district" coextensive with Waterton Lakes National Park), late Saturday morning, July 16. I completed the U.S. six years ago north of Fort Worth TX, with several fellow Extra Miler Club members in attendance (that completion's time and place was conveniently right after and near EMC's annual meeting that year). If I pull this off, I'd be the first EMC member to complete both the U.S. and Canada.

It's possible that EMC members might come to my Canada completion, on their way to this year's EMC annual meeting in Fort Wayne, Indiana the following Saturday, though I haven't gotten any nibbles yet. I'd also welcome any of you who might be interested. Visiting the scenic Waterton Lakes National Park (counterpart to Glacier NP in Montana), as I plan to do after crossing the park boundary, would be a bonus. Also, the Calgary Stampede will be going on that weekend, and earlier that week as well -- time permitting, I'll try to attend some mid-week Stampede events, on my way south toward Waterton Lakes. Other area attractions in the general area are the Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump (hint -- it wasn't a buffalo's head that got smashed in), and Vulcan (self-proclaimed "Star Trek Capital of Canada"), both of which I visited in 2012. The scenic Crowsnest Highway (AB 3) also passes north of the national park, though I think its most scenic parts are to the west in British Columbia.

Please contact me here, by PM, or by e-mail if interested and for more information. Two important details: the completion will take place at the northeast park entrance on highway 5 southwest of Cardston; and you'd need to cross the U.S.-Canada border to get there, so allow extra time for that.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

oscar

I haven't gotten any nibbles here, or from fellow Extra Miler Club members, about meeting me at Waterton Lakes. So it looks like I'll do the completion alone on my own schedule (probably either Friday or Saturday morning), with no "mini-meet" of any kind.

Waterton Lakes is the only county equivalent I have left to complete all of Canada's counties/equivalents. I finished off  Saskatchewan this Tuesday, and two leftover Alberta counties northeast of Calgary earlier today (Wednesday).

oscar

Follow-up: I did finish off Canada's counties/equivalents in Waterton Lakes, on Friday, July 15. I also briefly returned the next day at the original scheduled time and place, to take a few more photos during a break in the rain (weather was much better the day before, until the thunderstorms and tornado warnings arrived late in the day).

I'm in northern Idaho now, working my way over to the Extra Miler Club annual meeting in Fort Wayne IN next Saturday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.