News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tennessee: old road maps or atlases?

Started by usends, August 21, 2016, 02:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Trying to understand the history of US 411 and its north terminus.  Anyone have some older official maps and/or road atlases that can fill in the blanks?  Here's what I've seen so far (now updated with additional info from this thread, through Reply #8; entries in italics are suspected to be incorrect):

1939: ends in Tennga (GA/TN line), per RMN atlas.
1940: ends in Maryville, per TN official.
1941: ends in Maryville, per TN official.
1946: ends in Maryville, per TN official.
1947: ends in Maryville, per Gousha atlas.
1950: ends in Greeneville, per TN official.
1951: ends in Greeneville, per TN official.
1954: ends in Bristol, per TN official.
1956: ends in Bristol, per TN official.
1956: ends in Greeneville, per Gousha map.
1959: ends in Greeneville, per Gousha atlas.

1959: ends in Bristol, per TN official.
1962: ends in Bristol, per USGS quad.
1968: ends in Bristol, per USGS quad.
1969-1976: ends in Bristol, per TN officials.
1976: truncated to Greeneville, per AASHTO minutes.
1977: appears to end in John City, but may overlap up to Bristol, per RMN atlas.
1978: ends in Bristol, per USGS quad.

1977-1981: ends in Bristol or Greeneville, per TN officials (which have conflicting info).
1983: appears to end in Greeneville, per RMN atlas.
1985: ends at old terminus in Newport, per TN official.
1989: ends at old terminus in Newport, per TN official.
2015: ends at new terminus in Newport.

I'd like to narrow down the years when these transitions happened.  And it's possible that, in the gaps, there could be other endpoints that are not listed here.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

froggie

TN state official maps from January 1940, July 1941, and June 1946 all suggest a terminus at US 129 southwest of Maryville.

Terminus is Greeneville per the February, 1950 state official map.

TN state official maps from January 1954, January 1956, and May 1959 show it concurrent with US 11E up to Bristol, though the 1959 map does not show this concurrency on the Johnson City inset (the 1954 and 1956 maps do).

TN state official maps from 1969 through 1976 show a concurrency at least to Hillcrest (now part of Bluff City), likely continuing to Bristol.

I double-checked with VA state official maps, and the VA maps from 1961 through 1976 show US 411 concurrent up to Bristol.  The terminus was likely today's State St/Piedmont Ave intersection until what is now Volunteer Pkwy (in TN) and Commonwealth Ave (in VA) was completed....December, 1966 per VA CTB minutes.  It is possible (but cannot be confirmed as of yet), that US 411 was extended at this point up to Euclid Ave (today's US 11/11E/11W/19/VA 381 intersection) until it was truncated back to Greeneville.

None of the TN or VA official maps perused have a Bristol inset.

TN state official maps from 1977, 1978, and 1979-80 do not show US 411 beyond Greenville on the main map, yet still show it concurrent with US 11E on the Johnson City insets.  The 1981 map does not have a Johnson City inset.

Truncation to US 25W/US 70 west of Newport happened by March, 1985 (I have no TN maps between 1981 and 1985 to get more specific).

The northern terminus has also shifted west about a half-mile just within the past year.  TDOT has just finished 4-laning and slightly relocating US 411 for the first three miles southwest of US 25W/US 70.  Aerial imagery from October, 2015 shows it close to finished but still under construction.  GMSV from June 2016 shows it completed and open.

I'm not sure what his source was, but RVDroz's old site showed US 411 extended to Bristol in 1956, then truncated back to Greenville in 1967.

Hope this helps.  Certainly gives you a lot more to chew on.

hbelkins

An aside -- For years, the US 411 concurrency was shown north of Johnson City following US 11E and US 19W, and then US 11E and US 19, all the way to Bristol. In one of the concurrency labels on one of the maps -- I think Gousha -- US 411 was shown as US 441. That typo remained undiscovered for years.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

usends

Quote from: froggie on August 21, 2016, 04:40:23 PM
Hope this helps.  Certainly gives you a lot more to chew on.
Yes, helps very much, thanks... I've updated the OP with this additional info.

The northern terminus has also shifted west about a half-mile just within the past year.  TDOT has just finished 4-laning and slightly relocating US 411 for the first three miles southwest of US 25W/US 70.  Aerial imagery from October, 2015 shows it close to finished but still under construction.  GMSV from June 2016 shows it completed and open.
Thanks, didn't know that.  Found a local news article suggesting it opened in Nov. 2015.

usends

TN state official maps from 1977, 1978, and 1979-80 do not show US 411 beyond Greenville on the main map, yet still show it concurrent with US 11E on the Johnson City insets.  The 1981 map does not have a Johnson City inset.
All this makes me wonder if there was ever really a truncation to Greeneville, or if it's just that smaller-scale maps were unable to show all the concurrencies up to Bristol.

Truncation to US 25W/US 70 west of Newport happened by March, 1985 (I have no TN maps between 1981 and 1985 to get more specific).

On the old segment of US 411, even though 411 signage ended at the jct. with US 25-70, I was of the understanding that officially 411 had an unsigned overlap to the I-40 interchange.  And I note that I-40 exit signage for traffic heading westbound on the surface highway references only 411, omitting 25-70.  If that was correct in the past, then I would assume it is still true: the unsigned overlap still exists, and the official terminus has not changed.

froggie

QuoteAll this makes me wonder if there was ever really a truncation to Greeneville, or if it's just that smaller-scale maps were unable to show all the concurrencies up to Bristol.

I doubt it has to do with the smaller scale maps.  I don't think it's a coincidence that both TN and VA dropped showing the extension to Bristol in 1977.

QuoteOn the old segment of US 411, even though 411 signage ended at the jct. with US 25-70, I was of the understanding that officially 411 had an unsigned overlap to the I-40 interchange.  And I note that I-40 exit signage for traffic heading westbound on the surface highway references only 411, omitting 25-70.  If that was correct in the past, then I would assume it is still true: the unsigned overlap still exists, and the official terminus has not changed.

If this was the case, then TDOT's detailed city series maps would likely show it.  The Newport map doesn't.  TDOT has also been known to omit "TO" signage, so I wouldn't take that westbound I-40 guide sign as gospel.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

usends

Quote from: NE2 on August 22, 2016, 03:05:04 PM
AASHTO approved truncation from Hillcrest to Greeneville in July 1976.
Thanks... I wonder what they meant by "Hillcrest"?

froggie

Hillcrest is now part of Bluff City.  It's the hamlet where US 19E and US 19W re-merge (with US 11E along for the ride).

(EDIT)  BTW, someone posted a video on YouTube driving the new northern terminus just after it opened.  Video was posted on November 17, 2015, which leads credence to the realignment opening that month.

usends

OK, so I think that implies that, by 1976, either US 411 had been truncated to Hillcrest, or at least TN was not signing US 411 north of that junction.

Avalanchez71

When did I-81 get completed through that stretch?  Would that likely have something to do with it?

Avalanchez71

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.