News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Wasn't so long ago before May merged everything under the Macy's label that each region had a department store it could call its own.  You had G. Fox in CT and upstate NY, Filene's in Boston Metro, Strawbridge & Clothier and Jon Wanamaker in the Delaware Valley, Hecht's in the Baltimore and DC areas, Marshall Fields in Chicagoland. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 06, 2017, 10:33:17 PM
Wasn't so long ago before May merged everything under the Macy's label that each region had a department store it could call its own.  You had G. Fox in CT and upstate NY, Filene's in Boston Metro, Strawbridge & Clothier and Jon Wanamaker in the Delaware Valley, Hecht's in the Baltimore and DC areas, Marshall Fields in Chicagoland. 
I remember when we had Kaufmann's in Rochester.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Wasn't so long ago before May Federated merged everything under the Macy's label that each region had a department store it could call its own.  You had G. Fox in CT and upstate NY, Filene's in Boston Metro, Strawbridge & Clothier and Jon Wanamaker in the Delaware Valley, Hecht's in the Baltimore and DC areas, Marshall Fields in Chicagoland. 

Federated basically bought May and all the store brands that May had (see above).  Prior to that, they combined other names such as The Bon Marche, Burdine's, Lazarus (ironic as that's what Federated basically is, even as Macy's), and Rich's into Macy's (a name which means something in San Francisco and New York only).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman

Actually, the department store chain that Macy's took over in Boston Metro area was Jordan Marsh, not Filenes.  While Filenes was bought by Macys AFTER Macys had bought Jordan Marsh, Filene's only had the single store in Downtown Boston, whereas Jordan Marsh had quickly cloned themselves during the Eastern Massachusetts suburban shopping center boom of the 1960s.  Although originally there was a 'bargain basement' in the main Filene's store (Jordan Marsh in Downtown Boston had a similar 'bargain basement') , the individual Filene's Basement stores of later years were a totally separate chain that bought the rights to the name from the parent store.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

inkyatari

Speaking of May's,  I miss Venture.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

GenExpwy

Quote from: vdeane on August 07, 2017, 01:06:09 PM
I remember when we had Kaufmann's in Rochester.

I remember when it was Sibley's (Sibley, Lindsay, & Curr). It was absorbed into Kaufmann's in 1990, after May Department Stores took over Associated Dry Goods.

GCrites

Quote from: Brandon on August 07, 2017, 01:12:57 PM

Federated basically bought May and all the store brands that May had (see above).  Prior to that, they combined other names such as The Bon Marche, Burdine's, Lazarus (ironic as that's what Federated basically is, even as Macy's),

It is interesting indeed considering Lazarus did all that basically with a mid-double-digit number of stores in Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati and a few smaller Ohio cities such as Springfield and Lancaster. I suppose they did dip a bit into WV and KY.

hbelkins

Quote from: GCrites80s on August 07, 2017, 08:57:34 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 07, 2017, 01:12:57 PM

Federated basically bought May and all the store brands that May had (see above).  Prior to that, they combined other names such as The Bon Marche, Burdine's, Lazarus (ironic as that's what Federated basically is, even as Macy's),

It is interesting indeed considering Lazarus did all that basically with a mid-double-digit number of stores in Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati and a few smaller Ohio cities such as Springfield and Lancaster. I suppose they did dip a bit into WV and KY.

In Lexington, Lazarus took over what was formerly known as Shillito's.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Saw a trailer for another defunct retailer tonight: Heilig-Meyers furniture. Yes, I put my car in the photo.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JKRhodes

Sprouse Reitz.

Western Auto

Yellow Front

Revco

Thrifty Drug (remember the ice cream?)

The Room Store. I still remember the jingle: "We put it all together, and save you more, at the room store!"

Pic-N-Save, later became MacFrugal's, now Big Lots!

JC Flicks video, was a movie rental chain in Arizona and perhaps some other places. The sign at night looked like a bad word and not "FLICKS"

ALCO served smaller towns too small for Walmart, but shut down all their stores a few years ago.

Oshman's Sporting Goods. There was a location in tempe and one in the Tucson area when I was younger. both gone.

JJBers

Quote from: roadiejay on August 27, 2017, 11:44:51 PM
JC Flicks video, was a movie rental chain in Arizona and perhaps some other places. The sign at night looked like a bad word and not "FLICKS"

This is what I got for trying to look up that
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Takumi

The Room Store was apparently kinda-sorta a successor to Heilig-Meyers after they went bankrupt.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Mays was a store in NYC on 14th Street and in some other Long Island locations.  I remember its commercial and its jingle "Everyday's a sale day at Mays."

Also JGE Appliances with "Hey Jerry what's the story?"  Then he would always end the commercial with "That's the storrrry!" in a Brooklyn accent.

S. Klein
Fortunoff
Hahnes (not the underwear but a store that was in Westfield, NJ and a few other locations like Woodbridge Center Mall in Woodbridge, NJ and Livingston  Mall in Livingston, NJ.)
Abraham and Strauss
Alexanders
Valley Fair
Great Eastern
Kmarts (in many cities)
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

jp the roadgeek

Sage-Allen
D & L/Weathervane
Two Guys
JJ Newberry's/McCrory
Shoe Town
Fayva Shoes
The Magic Pan
Strawberries/Coconuts
Genovese Drug
Fay's
Bernie's/Newmark & Lewis
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Jardine

looks like Toys R Us is going to be eligible for this thread soon . . . .

JJBers

Benny's is a local chain in Southeastern New England, in the states of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. Well, they announced that they'll be dead by the beginning of 2018. Luckily there's a few nearby me, so I snapped a few photos of them.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: JJBers on September 16, 2017, 03:54:47 PM
Benny's is a local chain in Southeastern New England, in the states of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. Well, they announced that they'll be dead by the beginning of 2018. Luckily there's a few nearby me, so I snapped a few photos of them.

There's also another kind of Benny's around Montreal, this one is food related. http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=45.47498,-73.43928&z=17&t=M

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

US71

Chi-Chi's is still around, but not in the states.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jwolfer

Quote from: Takumi on September 16, 2017, 05:48:41 PM
Does Winn-Dixie still exist?
Yes... Winn Dixie is part of Southeastern Grocers now. Merged with BiLo. They now have Winn Dixie, BiLo, Harveys and Fresco y Más stores ..

Winn Dixie scaled back locations big time about 10 years ago before they merged and were in bankrupcy

LGMS428

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: US71 on September 16, 2017, 07:59:09 PM

Same with Kenny Rogers' Roasters

cl94

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 16, 2017, 09:33:12 PM
Quote from: US71 on September 16, 2017, 07:59:09 PM

Same with Kenny Rogers' Roasters

Technically incorrect. Nathan's has Kenny Rogers' Roasters items at some locations.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.