News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 33 through Columbus

Started by hbelkins, October 13, 2016, 01:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

As part of my return trip from the Battle Creek meet, I intend to complete US 33 in Indiana and Ohio, which would give me a complete clinch of the route.

Google Maps shows the following routing of US 33 through Columbus:

At the end of the expressway and the intersection with I-270 on the northwest side of town, continues on Bridge Street

Once across the Scioto River, turns right onto Riverside Drive.

Follows Riverside Drive/Lower Scioto Greenway/Dublin Road/West Long Street

Turns right onto North 3rd Street

Makes a left onto East Livingston Avenue (including a one-block wrong-way concurrency with US 23 -- or it would be if US 33 was signed correctly as a north-south route)

Makes a right onto College Avenue

Continues onto the Southeast Expressway

Is this all correct? And how well is it signed? I'm not sure if downtown C-bus suffers from the same signage delinquencies as so many other cities do.

Also, are there any areas through which US 33 passes that I need to be wary and keep the valuables out of sight if I get hung up at a traffic light? I'm not familiar enough with the city to know where the bad sections are.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Have you looked at what is shown on Travel Mapping?

Mapmikey

GMSV shows your route as posted at all turns.

Even if something isn't there, this one isn't too hard to remember as the last 2 turns are at the first light after crossing I-70 (a left then a right)....

busman_49

...and the part of Columbus you'd be traveling through isn't particularly bad.  Livingston Ave. is a little seedy, but other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I frequented that area and didn't have any issues with it.

6a

Off the top of my head that routing is correct. I agree with busman_49, I wouldn't worry too much about any part of the route. A lot of the signs downtown near I-70/71 are new and are overhead, so no worries there either.

GCrites

That all sounds right to me. Even in Driving Park, the "worst" part of your route along Livingston, you'll be fine even at night. I used to go to the library there often when I lived just east (yes, east) of I-70. It's a low-income part of town but certainly not invasive.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 13, 2016, 01:16:52 PM
Have you looked at what is shown on Travel Mapping?

No, since I never got into the CHM thing. As I've often said, I'm waiting for the clickable version.  :D

froggie

You'll likely be waiting until your death then, given the magnitude of the project and the number of segments.

But that doesn't stop you from looking at TM to see what a given highway's routing looks like.  They are vetted from multiple sources and peer-reviewed before they go active.

And it only takes 5 clicks and a little bit of scrolling from the main TM website to see what TM has for the US 33 routing through Ohio.

vtk

The route is correct as described in OP. Also note that there's a wrong-way overlap with US 62 West on Third St from Broad to Rich.

I'm not sure there's any neighborhood in Columbus where you'd want to make sure your doors are locked as a transient motorist, but if there is, it's not along US 33.

My final comment is that I think this thread more properly belongs in the Midwest regional forum. But you're not likely to agree.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

Quote from: vtk on October 15, 2016, 08:24:25 PM
My final comment is that I think this thread more properly belongs in the Midwest regional forum. But you're not likely to agree.

Columbus is on the Scioto River, which drains into the Ohio River. That's why I chose to post this here instead of the other board in which Ohio is split into.

okroads

As has been stated before, the route in the OP is correct. There is a new roundabout that opened in mid-August where 33 turns south onto Riverside Drive but the turn is signed (with black-on-white signage). All the turns are signed fairly well (unlike U.S. 40 in Bexley).

cl94

Agree that route is correct. As far as US 40 WB in Bexley...yeah. Bexley would rather you not know about that turn. The stretch on Drexel also bans trucks. EB is signed pretty well through there, though.

Once upon a time, US 33 went up to Main Street. I don't know when that changed. Now that neighborhood west of Bexley is seedy.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mapmikey

Quote from: cl94 on October 21, 2016, 09:31:11 PM
Agree that route is correct. As far as US 40 WB in Bexley...yeah. Bexley would rather you not know about that turn. The stretch on Drexel also bans trucks. EB is signed pretty well through there, though.

Once upon a time, US 33 went up to Main Street. I don't know when that changed. Now that neighborhood west of Bexley is seedy.

To be fair, there was a 40 west sign to turn off of Main until fall 2014...appears to have been removed for a utility project then not replaced...

This sort of thing happens in larger cities all over the place and it has caused me to always street view in advance any surface routings I intend to follow so that if the markers are missing I will still know where to turn...

cl94

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 21, 2016, 10:18:45 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 21, 2016, 09:31:11 PM

To be fair, there was a 40 west sign to turn off of Main until fall 2014...appears to have been removed for a utility project then not replaced...

This sort of thing happens in larger cities all over the place and it has caused me to always street view in advance any surface routings I intend to follow so that if the markers are missing I will still know where to turn...

There was also a reassurance immediately after the turn that fell down.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.