News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hwy V would be a more ideal route for US 45 in Fond Du Lac County

Started by dvferyance, November 29, 2016, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Now that US 45 has been rerouted in Fond Du Lac I think it would make more sense to reroute it onto Hwy V north of Eden so it can meet directly with the interchange at US151. The old route would become a new county highway. Makes more sense then have it cross US 151 and then backtrack south.

mgk920

Quote from: dvferyance on November 29, 2016, 03:04:53 PM
Now that US 45 has been rerouted in Fond Du Lac I think it would make more sense to reroute it onto Hwy V north of Eden so it can meet directly with the interchange at US151. The old route would become a new county highway. Makes more sense then have it cross US 151 and then backtrack south.

IMHO, US 45 should be rerouted to follow I-41 from the West Bend Spur split (Richfield Interchange) to Oshkosh (Algoma Interchange), with the existing highway being renumbered to something else (WI 76?).

Mike

The Ghostbuster

I've just checked out the new alignment on Google Maps, and the new US 45 routing seems quite confusing. I agree US 45 should have followed Interstate/US 41 all the way from Exit 95 to Exit 120. As for relocating US 45 onto County Highway V, this topic should be moved to Fictional Highways.

SEWIGuy

I don't think determining a better route of a recently re-routed highway is necessarily fictional.  I've said before that north of Fond du Lac it should be on I-41 with it being replaced by a WI-76 extension.  I don't like the "herky jerky" way that US-45 is now routed through the area.  It doesn't aid in navigation at all.

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 30, 2016, 10:00:14 AM
I don't think determining a better route of a recently re-routed highway is necessarily fictional.  I've said before that north of Fond du Lac it should be on I-41 with it being replaced by a WI-76 extension.  I don't like the "herky jerky" way that US-45 is now routed through the area.  It doesn't aid in navigation at all.
The north of Fond Du Lac argument is a separate topic. A reroute on Hwy V would make sense because it would directly meet the interchange at US 151. Otherwise the interchange should have been built where the current route meets US 151. I am really just fine with the rest of the routing of US 45. I would only reroute the part between Eden and US 151.

dvferyance

Quote from: mgk920 on November 29, 2016, 05:28:44 PM

IMHO, US 45 should be rerouted to follow I-41 from the West Bend Spur split (Richfield Interchange) to Oshkosh (Algoma Interchange), with the existing highway being renumbered to something else (WI 76?).

Mike
That would fix the violation of the grid. But i don't think West Bend would be too happy about it.

The Ghostbuster

How likely is it that County V would become US 45? Does WISDOT have any active plans for such a reroute? Or is this an AARoads-inspired proposal?

GeekJedi

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 30, 2016, 04:10:15 PM
How likely is it that County V would become US 45? Does WISDOT have any active plans for such a reroute? Or is this an AARoads-inspired proposal?

It's as likely as anything, and certainly is appropriate. Just because there may not be immediate plans for it doesn't make it fictional. In fact, it's an entirely plausible idea worthy of discussion.

Having said that, I don't think it makes a ton of sense. You're not backtracking that far, (the current US 45 intersection is 3/4 of a mile NE of CTH-V) and unless I'm missing something, the "interchange" type intersection at 45 and 151 may be more appropriate, as CTH-V as I remember it is a RIRO, so you'd have to do a "Michigan Left" there, negating any real savings in distance.

While I do agree that West Bend may be unhappy with "losing" US 45, I'm with Mike in that I'd give it an I-x41 designation and cosign US 45 with 41 up to the flyover in Oshkosh.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

mgk920

Quote from: dvferyance on November 30, 2016, 01:35:38 PM

Mike
That would fix the violation of the grid. But i don't think West Bend would be too happy about it.

'I-541'?

Hmmmmmm....

:hmmm:

:nod:

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: GeekJedi on November 30, 2016, 07:00:06 PM

It's as likely as anything, and certainly is appropriate. Just because there may not be immediate plans for it doesn't make it fictional. In fact, it's an entirely plausible idea worthy of discussion.

Having said that, I don't think it makes a ton of sense. You're not backtracking that far, (the current US 45 intersection is 3/4 of a mile NE of CTH-V) and unless I'm missing something, the "interchange" type intersection at 45 and 151 may be more appropriate, as CTH-V as I remember it is a RIRO, so you'd have to do a "Michigan Left" there, negating any real savings in distance.

While I do agree that West Bend may be unhappy with "losing" US 45, I'm with Mike in that I'd give it an I-x41 designation and cosign US 45 with 41 up to the flyover in Oshkosh.

This is a 'could have/should have' musing from the second 1/4 of the 20th century, but if I was around back then, I would have pushed for the two routes (US 41 and US 45) to be combined when the original two-lane US 41 on the current I-41 ROW was being planned and laid out (it moved US 41 off of modern-day WI 175).  This lead to its construction in the immediate post-WWII years (it opened in late 1940s).  The original two-lane US 41 bypass of Fond du Lac and its continuation to and beyond the Oshkosh area was built then, too, again all on the present-day I-41 ROW.

In addition to combining the two routes onto the same roadway, I would have routed it along the present-day I-41 and US 45 West Bend Spur RsOW to West Bend and then parallel/adjacent along the (now abandoned) CNW Milwaukee-Fond du Lac mainline (County 'V' closely follows it) from West Bend to FdL with bypasses of the cities along the way (West Bend, Kewaskum, Campbellsport, Eden), feeding it into the existing FdL bypass at about Main St.  I consider the existing layout to be a needless duplication of roadways, one of the biggest things statewide that I would have done differently had I had a chance.

Today, this would likely be a six-lane freeway the whole way to at least FdL, if not the Fox Valley.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Isn't US-45 basically just a state highway carrying local traffic north of West Bend?  Just like it is south of the Milwaukee area?  It has traditionally been a parallel to US-41 from the Chicago area to the Fox Valley.  I think they brought it to Wisconsin so it could replace WI-26 north of Oshkosh.  Especially considering one of the earlier alternatives was to duplex it with US-12 to Fort Atkinson and replace WI-26 north of there.

The Ghostbuster

US 45 also had a long duplex with WIS 55 from 1934 to 1953. I don't think it should have taken 19 years to complete the replacement of WIS 55 with US 45. It probably took so long because of the 12 miles of former WIS 55 southeast of US 45 in Milwaukee that had to be renumbered. Of course, today that portion of old WIS 55 is now WIS 145, an appropriate designation in my opinion.

dvferyance

It's just something I have suggested because it would eliminate the crazy backtracking routing in Fond Du Lac. I would only reroute it onto Hwy V from Eden to US 151. Currently US 45 crosses US 151 with no interchange goes north then heads south to meet up with US 151. This proposal would correct that.

dvferyance

Quote from: mgk920 on November 30, 2016, 10:37:03 PM

Mike

'I-541'?

Hmmmmmm....

Mike
I don't think West Bend is big enough to justify a 3 digit interstate. It only has about 30,000-35,000 in population. If it were the size of Waukesha maybe.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on December 01, 2016, 05:08:39 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 30, 2016, 10:37:03 PM

Mike

'I-541'?

Hmmmmmm....

Mike
I don't think West Bend is big enough to justify a 3 digit interstate. It only has about 30,000-35,000 in population. If it were the size of Waukesha maybe.

It's not just about servicing West Bend.  The entire corridor between I-41 and West Bend has been growing significantly over the past 20 years. 

I mean if Superior gets a 3di...

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 535 has existed since the road was completed in 1961. The freeway from Interstate/US 41 to West Bend is just fine as US 45.

triplemultiplex

Well I find US 45 superfluous north of Effingham, IL, to begin with so changing its routing here and there in Wisconsin is a moot point to me.

Instead of dragging US 45 up from Illinois, the Oshkosh to Ontonogon portion should have been an X41 US highway to begin with.

But the to the main point, CTH V is the better routing for a numbered highway between Fond du Lac and Kewaskum.  Just look at that first 90 degree curve south of FdL.  And now with the US 151 interchange where it is, it seems worth it to me.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

You may already know this, but from 1923 to 1934, US 45 north of Oshkosh was part of STH-26. It connected with M-26 in Michigan, and provided a continuous Highway 26 route from Beloit, WI to Copper Harbor, MI. The only thing I would have done differently in 1934, was instead of routing US 45 to Ontonagon, I would have had US 45 replace all of M-26 all the way to Copper Harbor.

hobsini2

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 02, 2016, 05:08:48 PM
Well I find US 45 superfluous north of Effingham, IL, to begin with so changing its routing here and there in Wisconsin is a moot point to me.

Instead of dragging US 45 up from Illinois, the Oshkosh to Ontonogon portion should have been an X41 US highway to begin with.

But the to the main point, CTH V is the better routing for a numbered highway between Fond du Lac and Kewaskum.  Just look at that first 90 degree curve south of FdL.  And now with the US 151 interchange where it is, it seems worth it to me.

Actually, I find that from Kankakee to near O'Hare, US 45 is a vital link into the system because it is a true alternate to I-294 and I-57 if they have traffic issues.

Now that said, with everyone talking about Hwy V being logical out of Eden, I would think having it follow Hwy B from Eden to I/US 41 would make much more sense than meeting up with US 151 and then I/US 41.
And then have the former routing of US 45 become an extension of Hwy K heading south and the other stretch being just Fond du Lac Ave. Old K south of Fond du Lac Ave can be Hwy KK extension from the south.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 29, 2016, 07:03:17 PM
I've just checked out the new alignment on Google Maps, and the new US 45 routing seems quite confusing. I agree US 45 should have followed Interstate/US 41 all the way from Exit 95 to Exit 120. As for relocating US 45 onto County Highway V, this topic should be moved to Fictional Highways.

I agree.  That would have made a LOT more sense.  It's really just too convoluted now, even involving a wrong-way concurrency, and the new route actually seems less efficient than the old one.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.