News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA: I-279 to get complete rebuild from Fort Duquesne Bridge to Camp Horne Road

Started by rickmastfan67, December 31, 2016, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2016/12/30/I-279-on-tap-for-massive-rebuilding-beginning-in-March/stories/201612290167

QuoteThe project, which is expected to cost between $85 million and $100 million, was put out to bid Thursday and will involve more than 30 miles of lane work, including the High Occupancy Vehicle lanes from Reedsdale Street and the Veterans Bridge north to Perrysville Avenue.

The orange cones will start sprouting in mid-March and aren't expected to disappear until mid-June 2019, Mr. Cowan said.

The first phase of the work will involve the southbound lanes. The northbound lanes will be addressed in 2018, and the HOV lanes will be refurbished in the first half of 2019.

The good news for commuters from Ross and Ohio townships is that PennDOT intends to keep two lanes of traffic flowing at all times, Mr. Cowan said. There are no plans for road closings or winding detours because the number of lanes and the HOV lanes, which will be closed at the start of the project, provide PennDOT and the work crews flexibility with lane usage.

"The biggest impact,"  Mr. Cowan said, "will be crossing one [southbound] lane over into the northbound lanes at some point during the year. So there will be a local lane that remains in the main line of southbound 279 and an express lane that will be crossed over into the northbound lanes."

This is going to be fun if I plan to go to any Penguins games. lol.

Gnutella

I hope this also involves six-laning it from Perrysville Avenue to Camp Horne Road.

ARMOURERERIC

There is a bit of public outcry to add a 4th uphill Lane from 579 to McKnight Rd.

compdude787

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 07, 2017, 07:27:11 PM
There is a bit of public outcry to add a 4th uphill Lane from 579 to McKnight Rd.

That would make sense to have an additional lane for trucks going up the hill there.

Bitmapped

It'd be nice if PennDOT would do something about missing ramps along I-279. There's no good way from McKnight Road southbound to I-279 northbound and no good way to/from I-79 south. Building the missing McKnight ramp and completing the I-79/I-279 interchange or adding ramps at Mount Nebo Road could provide an alternate way to I-79 and take pressure off the Parkway West.

seicer

It's not even 30 years old and needs rebuilt? It's in serviceable condition with at least ten years left on its life as-is and could use some patching and diamond grinding.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Gnutella on January 06, 2017, 11:47:22 PM
I hope this also involves six-laning it from Perrysville Avenue to Camp Horne Road.

I'm almost 100% certain it doesn't.

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on January 09, 2017, 12:10:01 PM
It's not even 30 years old and needs rebuilt? It's in serviceable condition with at least ten years left on its life as-is and could use some patching and diamond grinding.

It sounds like the project is somewhere between a total full rebuild and a patching/resurfacing, either way I'm hoping it's not too much of a pain in the ass now that my employer relocated to Cranberry and I have to use some of this stretch every week day.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

ARMOURERERIC

As a native of the area, there is no need for a SB McKnight to NB 279 connection.  Finding a way to get the green belt to 4 lanes westward to the 279/ Camp Horne exit would be more beneficial.

As for 279 NB accessing 79 SB: back in the 1970's, the original plan was a half diamond at Mt Nebo/ McAleer, with upgrades to Mt Nebo across to 79.  Ohio Twp nimbys killed that.

cl94

It doesn't need a total rebuild, but it needs some major work. It has barely been touched since it opened. Look at what happened to NYSDOT's concrete, especially in Regions 5 and 9. Remember how bad I-86 was west of Olean before the rebuild? It was that bad since at least 2003. I-88 has been miserable for over a decade and they're just fixing that in Region 9.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thenetwork

Looks like.the Pittsburgh area is getting their ideas from the Erie region -- rebuild, not resurface!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.