News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

END signs

Started by Inyomono395, February 08, 2017, 09:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 03, 2017, 06:47:32 PM
That DETOUR tab in the MN 1 picture has been there for years. MnDOT never took it down when they finished that MN 61 project.

Considering I only encountered two vehicles heading eastbound from Ely for that last 60 miles that doesn't surprise me.  The road surface of 1 is in terrible shape and there was a couple of those construction signs that seemed to be long abandoned.  The derelict US 61 on the guide sign leaving Ely only cemented how off the grid 1 really gets out that way heading to Lake Superior.

7/8

A couple taken on Sunday the 3rd.

Northern end of I-270 in Frederick, MD

Northern end of I-99 in Corning, NY

MNHighwayMan

Some new END signs from a trip I took on Friday (09/15).

The north end of MO-145 at Route B. The south end (at US-136) doesn't have an END marker posted.

The end of MO-139 at the Iowa/Missouri Border. Turns into Wayne County S40.

A shitty picture of the south end of IA-14 in Corydon. There was a car parked next to the sign that prevented me from getting a better picture.

Max Rockatansky

Fresh end points from today....

CA 68 at the seemingly random western end point on Asilomar Avenue:

68CAend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Both end points of CA 218:

218CAendB by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

218CAendA by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

bugo

Why is MO 145 even a numbered route? It connects a US highway to a lettered route. It serves Lake Paho but that isn't enough reason for it to have a number instead of a letter. Either extend it to the Iowa state line via Route B or to US 69 via Route B and Route N.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: bugo on September 22, 2017, 04:18:24 AM
Why is MO 145 even a numbered route? It connects a US highway to a lettered route. It serves Lake Paho but that isn't enough reason for it to have a number instead of a letter. Either extend it to the Iowa state line via Route B or to US 69 via Route B and Route N.

I was wondering that myself. I mean, it has the exact same quality as a lettered route.

Edit to add: Funny you mention a hypothetical extension to US-69, because that was precisely how I got there after getting pictures of the MO-46 terminus to the north. (No END sign there, though :-/)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 18, 2017, 08:28:10 PM
Both end points of CA 218:

218CAendA by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Eww.  :banghead:

Here's the END MN 169 east of Ely, MN.

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Completely forgot I had an I-41 "END."

IMG_5986 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

7/8

A-20 FIN at the Quebec/Ontario border.

MNHighwayMan

Some END signs I took yesterday:

West end of Iowa 16 at US-34/IA-163 (bonus that it's a sign salad!)

South end of Iowa 23 at Iowa 149 several miles north of Ottumwa

North end of Iowa 23 at Iowa 92 in Oskaloosa

South end of IA-149 at US-34 in Ottumwa

Lastly, the end of the emergency US-34/IA-163 detour at the IA-16 interchange. Not sure if this counts but I'm posting it anyway, given how it's signed.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a couple END signs myself this past week.

CA 25

25CAend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 183

IMG_8424 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Both ends of CA 201

201CAendB by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

201CAendA by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jmd41280

East end of PA 488 at US 422 in Prospect

PA Route 488 eastern end by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

North end of PA 819 at PA 66 in Oklahoma

PA Route 819 northern end by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

North end of WV 8 at US 30 in Chester

Northern terminus of WV Route 8 by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

7/8

Two new ENDS taken in da U.P. today:

Southwestern end of M-123 at M-28 near Newberry

Western end of M-28 at US 2 in Wakefield (lots of snow!)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 7/8 on November 17, 2017, 06:51:45 PM
Two new ENDS taken in da U.P. today:

Southwestern end of M-123 at M-28 near Newberry

Western end of M-28 at US 2 in Wakefield (lots of snow!)

Funny I had those exact same assemblies back in August.  Forgot I just took a CA 129 End the other day.

https://flic.kr/p/GwSjPH

7/8

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 17, 2017, 10:44:01 PM
Funny I had those exact same assemblies back in August.

It looks like the M-123 ENDS has changed sometime between August and now. Here's your post from the summer for comparison with my photo.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 21, 2017, 08:54:28 PM
M-123 End:

123Mend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 7/8 on November 17, 2017, 10:51:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 17, 2017, 10:44:01 PM
Funny I had those exact same assemblies back in August.

It looks like the M-123 ENDS has changed sometime between August and now. Here's your post from the summer for comparison with my photo.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 21, 2017, 08:54:28 PM
M-123 End:

123Mend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I've never understood why MDOT puts up duplicate shields when one with a two-way placard would do.  I want to say it's a relatively change in the way shields are posted, I don't recall it being as wide spread in the 1990s when I lived there. 

7/8

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 17, 2017, 10:57:38 PM
I've never understood why MDOT puts up duplicate shields when one with a two-way placard would do.  I want to say it's a relatively change in the way shields are posted, I don't recall it being as wide spread in the 1990s when I lived there.

I like that the new setup shows which way is east and west, but the duplicate shields adds unnecessary clutter. Maybe something like this would work, except with bigger fonts/arrows?

7/8

Quote from: 7/8 on May 21, 2017, 03:22:17 PM
The main intersection in Harriston, ON is the endpoint of three provincial highways (9, 23, and 89), and each one has an ENDS sign. I'll have to head up there this summer for photos (and I would like to clinch 9 and 89 if possible).

Well yesterday I finally made it to this intersection! Here are the three photos I took:

Eastern end of the western segment of Highway 9

Northern end of Highway 23

Western end of Highway 89

Unfortunately, the western end of Wellington CR 109 doesn't have an ends sign. I also still haven't clinched highway 9 and 89 (though I've made more progress since that last post).

AsphaltPlanet

^ County Road 109 did have an ends sign at one point.  I think it was removed during some traffic signal work a few years back.

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

CA 180 with an extremely haggard END placard at CA 33:

180CAend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

paulthemapguy

I know some people already have this photo, but I wanted one of my own.

MI-US2-US8N by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

formulanone

Georgia's below-the-shield END plaque:

Max Rockatansky

Got some new stuff yesterday that I've been trying to capture for awhile but was always in difficult positions to photograph.

The scenic route "end" of CA 152 on Pacheco Pass:

IMG_0093 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 156 "end" at CA 1 at Monterey Bay:

IMG_0157 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 15, 2017, 09:07:00 AM

Haha, I like the concept of the end of a scenic route. "Yup, road's just straight up ugly after this sign. Nothing worth seeing past here."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 15, 2017, 09:25:50 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 15, 2017, 09:07:00 AM

Haha, I like the concept of the end of a scenic route. "Yup, road's just straight up ugly after this sign. Nothing worth seeing past here."

The irony is that it actually really is a pretty road all the way west of there to CA 156 and even west of US 101 in the Santa Cruz Range.  I think someone at Caltrans thinks the San Luis Reservoir is the about most beautiful thing ever...."yea!!!....low reservoir with a severe bathtub ring of exposed bed rock."

The funny one is the good on CA 152 eastbound at I-5.  For some reason there is a standard green placard like the route is ending it when it obviously meant to be the end for the scenic section of 152:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0566381,-120.9722302,3a,15y,134.3h,85.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFiajF2xjERREnS_Y7tqnBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.