News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Loveberry Run Rd divides by zero in WV

Started by CYoder, February 26, 2017, 01:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYoder

Poking around the Weston area on Google, I couldn't help but notice a fraction route ending in zero, CR 20/0.  I went into GSV and got this tantalizingly close but blurry sign.  GSV doesn't follow the road, and it doesn't catch its other end at CR 20.  I went over to OSM to see what it had to say about this road... and it agrees with Google.  No route number info on the topo map at ACME Mapper.

I get the feeling this must have been a mistake in the original TIGER data.  All the numbers from 20/1 to 20/9 are present in the area except for 20/4 and 20/7, and "fourth branch of CR 20" fits.  Would WV have a "zeroth branch" of a county route?

Bitmapped

It's just CR 20. For some WVDOH datasets, this gets coded internally with the last two digits representing the fractional part as 00.

Mapmikey

See the Lewis County map to confirm it is CR 20

ftp://gis.transportation.wv.gov/2014CountyMaps/Lewis_1_of_2.pdf

The road the Google Maps shows as CR 20 over to CR 18/1 is CR 20/4...

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

When you look at the PDF map, you can tell just how oddly WV numbers its county routes. CR 20 is shown as a dirt road for part of its distance. Look around it and you'll see how through routes get several different numbers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on February 26, 2017, 03:09:01 PM
When you look at the PDF map, you can tell just how oddly WV numbers its county routes. CR 20 is shown as a dirt road for part of its distance. Look around it and you'll see how through routes get several different numbers.

Most numbers for West Virginia county routes come from when the State Road Commission took over the roads from the counties in 1933. There was originally a hierarchy with the numbering, with odd county routes being more important than even county routes, and both above the fractional county routes. When the numbering system was setup, it followed the roads as they existed. Most county roads were dirt in rural areas of the state.

A lot has changed with the physical road network since 1933. Roads that have more houses and development along them have been upgraded to gravel, chip-seal, or asphalt while those that don't have any traffic generators or through traffic tend to get minimal maintenance, are gated off, or abandoned entirely. WV rarely renumbers county routes. This means that you can get situations where county routes don't connect to their parent, through corridors have multiple route numbers, or the saame number exists in disconnected sections.

With a handful of well-signed exceptions, WV county route numbers aren't intended for wayfinding purposes. The numbers exist mostly for DOH's own purposes, so it doesn't matter much if a number no longer forms a through route in the field.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Bitmapped on February 26, 2017, 04:38:35 PM
With a handful of well-signed exceptions, WV county route numbers aren't intended for wayfinding purposes. The numbers exist mostly for DOH's own purposes, so it doesn't matter much if a number no longer forms a through route in the field.

I only recently figured out that the (usually 1-digit or 2-digit or (somewhat rarely) 3-digit) county routes in West Virginia can (and usually do) change at a county line crossing. I had assumed for no good reason that West Virginia county routes were like their peers in Virginia, where secondary system routes almost never change route numbers at a county line.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CYoder

Thanks everyone for clearing up that mystery.  It looks like CR 20 in GMaps has more issues south of CR 17 as well, but that's enough for me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.