News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mysterious rectangular field in abandoned PA Turnpike

Started by Roadsguy, April 03, 2017, 10:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

What is this thing? It was built near the eastern end of the abandoned PA Turnpike segment east of Breezewood. Whatever it is, they built a hill at one end of it that partially obliterates the old Turnpike, and it's been there long enough that the Google 3D view terrain has been updated to show all this.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sbeaver44

I wonder if that's the old Cove Valley Service Plaza which was/is used as a State Police shooting range?

epzik8

That's basically Fort Littleton, but yeah, I agree with what the above user posted.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

wanderer2575

SteveG1988

It looks like either a shooting range, or a paving/painting test area.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

qguy

Quote from: sbeaver44 on April 03, 2017, 10:47:31 PM
I wonder if that's the old Cove Valley Service Plaza which was/is used as a State Police shooting range?

The site of the Cove Valley service plaza can be seen further to the west, nearer to the tunnel portal.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sbeaver44 on April 03, 2017, 10:47:31 PM

It's located directly thru the former roadway, so it wouldn't be a service plaza.

I'm trying to tell if it's raised in any sort of way.

Roadgeek Adam

We can end the Cove Valley question, because that is much further west, near Sideling Hill Tunnel.

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Roadsguy

I checked historic aerials. It seems something at least resembling this was there as far back as 2003, with the current version of it built around 2007 or so. There were no traces of it in 1994.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

It almost looks like a solar roadway from the air.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.