News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Quote from: VTGoose on May 24, 2017, 02:10:26 PM
It appears that it won't be too long (maybe, I have yet to figure out Florida highway construction) before it is possible to avoid Stark on U.S. 301. There is activity at both ends of what looks like a bypass to the west of the city. Now if they could wrap up the connection at I-10 to avoid the left turn and long wait for the traffic light, the trip from I-95 to I-75 will be slightly better.

A limited-access bypass for U.S. 301 is being constructed around the west side of Starke, and is scheduled for completion in 2019. It will include two interchanges (SR 100 and 16).

QuoteOne thing I have discovered in various visits to my son in the Tampa area is that Florida drivers have no concept of "constant speed" on I-75, nor do lanes seem to matter (slow lane on the right, fastest lane on the left). I set the cruise control on 78 and it is on and off while dealing with the steering-wheel holders. Instance one -- approach a slower vehicle in the center lane, move left to pass, and have the vehicle operator realize someone is passing so he must speed up, either matching speed or pulling away. Instance two -- approach a slower vehicle in the far left lane and either brake because there is nowhere to go or move right a lane or two to get around the slowpoke. Instance three -- idle along behind a "passing" vehicle that is barely moving 1 MPH faster than the truck being passed, only to have the passer speed up once past the slower truck.

Being a Tampa area local, I drive I-75 as part of my commute home five days a week, so I have seen every instance you refer to. Granted I have had my share of complaints about the area freeways, but doesn't what you're describing happen in a lot of other places as well besides Tampa, and more in general, Florida? Plus, you really can't set the cruise control around the urban portions of I-75 and I-4 (70mph, 78mph, or otherwise), mainly because of traffic volume throughout the day. There is always a higher number of commuters (yes, myself included) that share the freeway with those just passing through, so it makes using the cruise control unfeasible.

QuoteI also found in general on this most recent trip (Tuesday) that people don't seem to know what two quick flashes of the high beams means when you are close behind them. Either they had no desire to move out of the left lane, even though there was plenty of open space in the right lane (and beyond the initial point) or they just didn't understand the request to yield to a faster vehicle. It took a lane shift to get around them, watching them stick to the left lane while others had to weave around them or were stuck when traffic caught up in the right lane.

I would say a lot more people today are simply unaware of driving habits that were more common practice back in the day, like flashing the high beams for someone to move. As younger generations learn to drive those older driving habits are disappearing. Yes, it's annoying for someone to be going slow in the fast lane (because I see it everyday), but if it happens to me I just simply move around and continue on.

VTGoose

Quote from: flaroads on May 24, 2017, 04:10:40 PM

A limited-access bypass for U.S. 301 is being constructed around the west side of Starke, and is scheduled for completion in 2019. It will include two interchanges (SR 100 and 16).

So what will the connection be at both ends of the bypass? It didn't appear that there was any type of embankment work that would provide for an interchange or flyover to handle traffic into and out of town on the business route.

QuoteBeing a Tampa area local, I drive I-75 as part of my commute home five days a week, so I have seen every instance you refer to. Granted I have had my share of complaints about the area freeways, but doesn't what you're describing happen in a lot of other places as well besides Tampa, and more in general, Florida? Plus, you really can't set the cruise control around the urban portions of I-75 and I-4 (70mph, 78mph, or otherwise), mainly because of traffic volume throughout the day. There is always a higher number of commuters (yes, myself included) that share the freeway with those just passing through, so it makes using the cruise control unfeasible.

No, cruise goes on once out beyond the Wesley Chapel area. Yes, there are people who don't use the correct lanes for their speed or who can't (or won't) pick a speed and stick with it. But I see those problems more on I-75 than just about anywhere else on the trip between Virginia and Tampa -- to include I-77 (through and around Charlotte on the beltway), on the three-lane section of I-95 in Georgia and on into Florida.

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

FLRoads

Quote from: VTGoose on May 24, 2017, 05:24:44 PM
Quote from: flaroads on May 24, 2017, 04:10:40 PM

So what will the connection be at both ends of the bypass? It didn't appear that there was any type of embankment work that would provide for an interchange or flyover to handle traffic into and out of town on the business route.

QuoteBeing a Tampa area local, I drive I-75 as part of my commute home five days a week, so I have seen every instance you refer to. Granted I have had my share of complaints about the area freeways, but doesn't what you're describing happen in a lot of other places as well besides Tampa, and more in general, Florida? Plus, you really can't set the cruise control around the urban portions of I-75 and I-4 (70mph, 78mph, or otherwise), mainly because of traffic volume throughout the day. There is always a higher number of commuters (yes, myself included) that share the freeway with those just passing through, so it makes using the cruise control unfeasible.

No, cruise goes on once out beyond the Wesley Chapel area. Yes, there are people who don't use the correct lanes for their speed or who can't (or won't) pick a speed and stick with it. But I see those problems more on I-75 than just about anywhere else on the trip between Virginia and Tampa -- to include I-77 (through and around Charlotte on the beltway), on the three-lane section of I-95 in Georgia and on into Florida.

Both ends will be at-grade intersections with slight realignments of current U.S 301. It remains to be seen if current U.S. 301 will become SR 200 or perhaps a U.S 301 Business.

emory

Quote from: flaroads on May 24, 2017, 09:51:09 PM
Both ends will be at-grade intersections with slight realignments of current U.S 301. It remains to be seen if current U.S. 301 will become SR 200 or perhaps a U.S 301 Business.

Given what FDOT has done in the past with new US route alignments, I'll bet the old routing becomes US 301 Bus./SR 200 and the new bypass will be US 301/SR 200A unless they plan to relinquish parts of the old routing to the city/county, in which case they'll likely forego signing it as a Business route.

emory

FDOT has requested the relinquishment of Krome Avenue (SR 997) from SW 328 Street to US 1 over to Miami-Dade county control.

http://www.miamidade.gov/govaction/matter.asp?matter=171103&file=true&yearFolder=Y2017

QuoteBACKGROUND
FDOT has been working since December 2014 on a project to build a "Truck By-Pass"  along SW 312 Street (Campbell Drive) between SW 177 Avenue (Krome Avenue) and SR 5 (US-1). This project will improve mobility and alleviate traffic congestion. This will be accomplished by providing additional travel options and transit services will be enhanced to accommodate future growth and development in the area at no cost to the County. As a result of the above project, FDOT no longer needs a segment of Krome Avenue located between Campbell Drive and US-1, and has requested that this segment of Krome Avenue be accepted by the County as a County Road. All responsibilities for the road transfer are delineated in the attached "Roadway Transfer Agreement"  attached to the resolution as Exhibit "A" .

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: emory on May 30, 2017, 04:36:04 AM
FDOT has requested the relinquishment of Krome Avenue (SR 997) from SW 328 Street to US 1 over to Miami-Dade county control.

http://www.miamidade.gov/govaction/matter.asp?matter=171103&file=true&yearFolder=Y2017

QuoteBACKGROUND
FDOT has been working since December 2014 on a project to build a "Truck By-Pass"  along SW 312 Street (Campbell Drive) between SW 177 Avenue (Krome Avenue) and SR 5 (US-1). This project will improve mobility and alleviate traffic congestion. This will be accomplished by providing additional travel options and transit services will be enhanced to accommodate future growth and development in the area at no cost to the County. As a result of the above project, FDOT no longer needs a segment of Krome Avenue located between Campbell Drive and US-1, and has requested that this segment of Krome Avenue be accepted by the County as a County Road. All responsibilities for the road transfer are delineated in the attached "Roadway Transfer Agreement"  attached to the resolution as Exhibit "A" .

I was wondering what FDOT was going to do with Homestead in regards to the 997 upgrades, sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to cut the route short and route it US 1.  Essentially what that stub describes is eliminating the route in downtown Homestead which really is a welcome change to the route alignment. 

emory

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 30, 2017, 07:48:12 AM
I was wondering what FDOT was going to do with Homestead in regards to the 997 upgrades, sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to cut the route short and route it US 1. 

That appears to be the plan. No word on what Campbell Drive will be numbered as but FDOT intends to adopt it into the state highway system.

formulanone

Quote from: emory on May 31, 2017, 01:54:00 AM
I was wondering what FDOT was going to do with Homestead in regards to the 997 upgrades, sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to cut the route short and route it US 1. 

That appears to be the plan. No word on what Campbell Drive will be numbered as but FDOT intends to adopt it into the state highway system.

Probably just part of 997; why bother with another number for such a short route?

A one-mile numbering violation isn't a big deal, better to preserve route continuity than add confusion.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on May 31, 2017, 06:04:28 PM
Quote from: emory on May 31, 2017, 01:54:00 AM

Probably just part of 997; why bother with another number for such a short route?

A one-mile numbering violation isn't a big deal, better to preserve route continuity than add confusion.

A CR 997a designation for the reliquished part of Krome could be used in theory.  There are plenty of examples of that practice all over the state.

D-Dey65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 31, 2016, 07:59:30 AM
Yesterday, there was this big accident on the southbound lanes of US 19 in Spring Hill between Windward Village and the flea market that used to be a Wal-Mart. The State Troopers closed off two lanes of the route. An Isuzu NPR with a 22' or maybe 26' box body ended up in a drainage ditch with construction material sticking out of the back, while a Ford F-Series pickup behind it had a mangled cab, a bent frame, and possibly a dead driver and passenger.

NO NEWS COVERAGE!

Remember when I mentioned this incident? Guess I was looking in the wrong place:

http://www.rnrfonline.com/man-charged-with-dui-manslaughter-after-collision-on-commercial-way/

emory

Since Miami-Dade County is already littered with tiny state highways I wouldn't put it past FDOT to add another one to the books and keep all of Krome Avenue as SR/CR 997. If that were to happen, Campbell Road would likely become either SR 996 or SR 998. Miami-Dade doesn't sign its own roads but FDOT could always sign it at their US 1, Campbell, and SR 9336 intersections.

VTGoose

Got home last night from another Gulf-to-the-mountains trip. I'm convinced that drivers in Florida have no idea how traffic lanes are supposed to work on an interstate (slow-moving on right, fast in the center, and real fast in the left). They also have no clue about how to maintain a constant speed nor how to pass another vehicle.

OK, rant over, now some comments and questions:

The work on the Stark bypass (which can't be completed soon enough) is evident at both ends. It looks like all traffic will be routed onto the bypass, to hit a traffic light in a short distance that will control local access to and from the bypass via a short connector road back to the original highway. A couple more bypasses and a better connector just north of Ocala and that route will be half-decent.

At the I-10 end of 301, what is the construction going on to the east of the highway to the south of FL 218? If the highway were only two lanes there I would say it was being widened with two new lanes, but it is already four lanes divided.

Why didn't I know about the "shortcut" from Baldwin to I-95 at Yulee? Granted, it is about the same distance as taking I-10 to I-295 to I-95 (and takes about the same travel time if all goes well) but there was little to no traffic on it yesterday. Even having to go through Baldwin and Callahan (and the slower speed limit on FL 200) it wasn't a bad drive -- certainly less stressful than dealing with the traffic on the interstate (not to mention the bad left turn or pass by and U-turn to get on I-10).

Does FLDOT move at an incredibly slow pace? In the two years we have been making the trip to Tampa, it doesn't seem like there has been a lot of progress on some of the construction projects on I-75.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Jim

Quote from: VTGoose on June 18, 2017, 08:08:44 PM
Why didn't I know about the "shortcut" from Baldwin to I-95 at Yulee? Granted, it is about the same distance as taking I-10 to I-295 to I-95 (and takes about the same travel time if all goes well) but there was little to no traffic on it yesterday. Even having to go through Baldwin and Callahan (and the slower speed limit on FL 200) it wasn't a bad drive -- certainly less stressful than dealing with the traffic on the interstate (not to mention the bad left turn or pass by and U-turn to get on I-10).

Been doing this one for years.  As you say, it's not necessarily shorter or faster.  But it's a whole lot less intense of a ride than the interstates you bypass by doing it.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

UCFKnights

Got home last night from another Gulf-to-the-mountains trip. I'm convinced that drivers in Florida have no idea how traffic lanes are supposed to work on an interstate (slow-moving on right, fast in the center, and real fast in the left). They also have no clue about how to maintain a constant speed nor how to pass another vehicle.

The work on the Stark bypass (which can't be completed soon enough) is evident at both ends. It looks like all traffic will be routed onto the bypass, to hit a traffic light in a short distance that will control local access to and from the bypass via a short connector road back to the original highway. A couple more bypasses and a better connector just north of Ocala and that route will be half-decent.

At the I-10 end of 301, what is the construction going on to the east of the highway to the south of FL 218? If the highway were only two lanes there I would say it was being widened with two new lanes, but it is already four lanes divided.

Does FLDOT move at an incredibly slow pace? In the two years we have been making the trip to Tampa, it doesn't seem like there has been a lot of progress on some of the construction projects on I-75.

Bruce in Blacksburg
The I-75 projects are some of the longest distance (by milage) projects I've ever seen, and my understanding is the contract requires the final layer of asphalt to be put on at the very end throughout the entire project, so the structure of the deal is making it move very slowly. I much prefer the more typical doing 5 or 10 or 20 mile projects at a time and getting that area done before moving on to the next area. I believe one single construction zone is over 90 miles long if I remember right

jwolfer

Bruce in Blacksburg
Baldwin bypass is being built so that will make the short cut even better.. I agree 301 from Callahan to Baldwin is a nice drive

I think the consruction near 218 is retention ponds

LGMS428

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

Quote from: emory on June 01, 2017, 02:37:11 AM

Since Miami-Dade County is already littered with tiny state highways I wouldn't put it past FDOT to add another one to the books and keep all of Krome Avenue as SR/CR 997. If that were to happen, Campbell Road would likely become either SR 996 or SR 998. Miami-Dade doesn't sign its own roads but FDOT could always sign it at their US 1, Campbell, and SR 9336 intersections.
Campbell RD could become SR 997A.

D-Dey65

Has anyone seen this ACL Railroad bridge over SR 40 in Rainbow Lake Estates?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EB_FL_40_under_old,_low_RR_Bridge.JPG

How old is it? The thing looks like it's from the 19th Century, and I'm pretty close to shooting an e-mail to FDOT Region #5 to ask them about it.

roadman65

Very rare of one of these.  We have plenty of old ones but not like this.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Well, I just found an e-mail from them in my inbox. Believe it or not, they say it was from 1925!  :-o

21stCenturyRoad

Phase 1A/1B of the Wekiva Parkway opened this morning, extending FL 429 5 miles north from US 441 to Kelly Park Road.
http://www.wekivaparkway.com/pnews.php
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

DeaconG

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on July 27, 2017, 01:28:44 PM
Phase 1A/1B of the Wekiva Parkway opened this morning, extending FL 429 5 miles north from US 441 to Kelly Park Road.

That's a major step to getting it completed right there.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

rickmastfan67

Any exit number posted for the US-441 interchange now?

21stCenturyRoad

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 27, 2017, 08:48:34 PM

Any exit number posted for the US-441 interchange now?
Not that I'm aware of, but I think it will be Exit 34
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

roadman65

Until FL 453 gets completed traffic for Mount Dora, Eustis, Taveras, and Leesburg still need to exit at US 441.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.