News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

What are some roads where the speed limit is too high?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 05, 2017, 10:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Some of the 75 MPH zones in rural Texas are excessive simply because they exceed the design of the road.  BUT....with that in mind there a lot of them where actually driving that fast is essentially an impossibility unless you are either insane or stupid.  Two-lane roads like US 180/62 which are groomed for those high speeds are something that are really unique with huge wide lanes, shoulders, and massive open passing areas.

formulanone

There's a couple of 75 mph two-lane roads (US 285/385) out near Fort Stockton, Texas in which I didn't feel comfortable going 75, because there was lots of truck traffic and vehicles pulling in/out of the road.

But it wasn't a problem when and where there weren't many vehicles around.

US 89

I don't even know what that's like. In Utah, there is a legislated 65 mph max on any road that is not an Interstate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 14, 2017, 01:01:10 AM
I don't even know what that's like. In Utah, there is a legislated 65 mph max on any road that is not an Interstate.

Utah tends to keep things under control when the terrain gets a little crazy.  Places like UT 12 and even the Dugway have reduced posted speed limits when the road gets curvy.  I would even go as far as to say they get the speed TOO low, especially on UT 12.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2017, 07:09:34 AM

Utah tends to keep things under control when the terrain gets a little crazy.  Places like UT 12 and even the Dugway have reduced posted speed limits when the road gets curvy.  I would even go as far as to say they get the speed TOO low, especially on UT 12.

Utah really confuses me. On one hand, they were one of the first states to implement an 80 mph speed limit (a relatively liberal decision). But then you got roads like Legacy Parkway, and some of these two lane roads, where they're super conservative. I understand the Legacy Parkway has a 55 limit for "ecology" reasons. But the two lane roads...I'd have thought they'd be less restrictive.

Does Utah subscribe to the "vision zero" concept?

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2017, 12:28:16 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2017, 07:09:34 AM

Utah really confuses me. On one hand, they were one of the first states to implement an 80 mph speed limit (a relatively liberal decision). But then you got roads like Legacy Parkway, and some of these two lane roads, where they're super conservative. I understand the Legacy Parkway has a 55 limit for "ecology" reasons. But the two lane roads...I'd have thought they'd be less restrictive.

Does Utah subscribe to the "vision zero" concept?

They do focus on "zero fatalities". Every Friday the VMS signs will have some statistic on how many have died so far this month, year, etc. or just say "zero fatalities, the only acceptable goal". When they raised the speed limits to 70 on urban interstates, the Highway Patrol didn't like it, but they have no power over speed limits.

The 55 mph limit on Legacy was part of a compromise with the Sierra Club and other environmentalists, which had filed lawsuits against the building of the road. If they hadn't compromised, the road wouldn't have even been built. The compromise also reduced the highway from 6 lanes to 4 and banned trucks unless there is an accident on I-15.

Roadgeekteen

65 is high for a two lane road.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2017, 03:06:13 PM

You're not used to roads where you can see for 20 miles without any cars, curves, or intersections.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

I have driven on two-lane roads with 70 mph limits in Montana and have felt perfectly safe.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

I remember seeing 55 mph on part of US 60 in WV that was way too winding for it.  I could barely do 40 mph as it was a curve every 200 feet.  This was several years ago, but hopefully they changed it since then.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2017, 03:29:10 PM
I remember seeing 55 mph on part of US 60 in WV that was way too winding for it.  I could barely do 40 mph as it was a curve every 200 feet.  This was several years ago, but hopefully they changed it since then.

A lot like the UK. Outside of towns, roads are generally signed with a black slash instead of limit, meaning "national speed limit". Single carriageway roads are 60 mph under this national limit. 60 seems perfectly fine on most two lane roads, but once you get to places like the Scottish Highlands, where the roads and very windy and narrow, it seems really high. But it's a lot of fun. It's a true 'limit'.

Max Rockatansky

Meh...not out west is often isn't.  There are plenty of 70 MPH zones in Montana and 75 MPH in Texas which are completely adequate.  Hell I love that California lets you just go nuts with the 55 MPH rural limit on Mountain grades, might as well have some fun if you the only person around.

vdeane

Heck, I can think of SEVERAL two-lane roads in New York that are comfortable to drive at 65.  Even in MA, I think there are some US highways that might feel comfortable at that speed (or at the very least 60).  Granted, this probably happens in MA a lot less than in NY.  Every time I go there, I'm always amazed with how long it takes to drive down the roads because of geometry differences (thereby remembering why I don't like driving on two lane roads in MA).  The fact that the speed limit changes every 200 feet because MA doesn't believe in advisory limits doesn't help.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2017, 06:39:31 PM

Meh...not out west is often isn't.  There are plenty of 70 MPH zones in Montana and 75 MPH in Texas which are completely adequate.  Hell I love that California lets you just go nuts with the 55 MPH rural limit on Mountain grades, might as well have some fun if you the only person around.

California and Washington now appear to be in last place (out west) in regards to single-carriageway speed limits. Washington doesn't have any above 65 (though there's no legislated limit for single-carriageway roads -- all state highways have a default of 60), and California is still stuck in the dark ages of 55. I believe at least one stretch of highway in SE Oregon is posted at 70, so for once, Oregon is the level-headed one.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2017, 08:09:10 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2017, 06:39:31 PM

California and Washington now appear to be in last place (out west) in regards to single-carriageway speed limits. Washington doesn't have any above 65 (though there's no legislated limit for single-carriageway roads -- all state highways have a default of 60), and California is still stuck in the dark ages of 55. I believe at least one stretch of highway in SE Oregon is posted at 70, so for once, Oregon is the level-headed one.

Yeah but with California there is one thing I'll defend; there is no nanny speed limit signs.   Once you see "END Insert Speed" it means 55 MPH unless otherwise stated.  Even stuff like Ebbetts Pass on CA 4 with 24% grades and all is perfectly legal to go 55 MPH on...at best you might get a yellow advisory speed.  For comparisons sake Arizona would have two-lane roads with 65 MPH zones but would post up nanny speed limits which get annoying as all hell with roads like US 60 in Salt River Canyon, AZ 88, AZ 89A, and US 191 on the Coronado Trail.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cl94

I know we have had this thread in the past. That being said, the default limit in New York is 55, which is generally the case in rural areas regardless of conditions. Unless a jurisdiction sets a lower default, 55 is a statewide default limit regardless of roadway type or population density. So yes, this includes narrow, winding dirt roads in the mountains and a freeway constructed to the highest possible standards. You'll have a hard time getting anywhere close to 55 on NY 418 except at the western end, but almost all of it is signed at 55.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

Yeah, NY has a ton of 55 mph mountain roads as well, including a few mountain passes and the like. Take NY/MA 2 through Petersburgh Pass. NY side is very windy and 55 with a steep drop off on one side. MA side is pretty gentle with a limit that is typically 35-40. NY 30 in the Catskills is another example. A ton of people in these parts don't know what to do when they see an "End 40 mph limit" sign, though.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cl94 on June 17, 2017, 01:53:44 PM
Yeah, NY has a ton of 55 mph mountain roads as well, including a few mountain passes and the like. Take NY/MA 2 through Petersburgh Pass. NY side is very windy and 55 with a steep drop off on one side. MA side is pretty gentle with a limit that is typically 35-40. NY 30 in the Catskills is another example. A ton of people in these parts don't know what to do when they see an "End 40 mph limit" sign, though.

Someone mentioned elsewhere that at the state line, MA 23 is 30 mph, but NY 23 is 55 mph. Is this correct?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

The weird thing with California two-lanes is there are some exceptions on roads in the Freeway and Expressway system where the speed limit is higher than 55 MPH.  CA 120/49 is 65 MPH near the Priest Grade and all of CA 62 is 60-65 MPH east of 29 Palms. 

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: 1 on June 17, 2017, 01:55:59 PM

Someone mentioned elsewhere that at the state line, MA 23 is 30 mph, but NY 23 is 55 mph. Is this correct?

That is correct. A few other places on NY's borders like that. MA might be the worst state with nanny speed limits because they lower the limit instead of posting advisory speeds.

jakeroot

One of the nanny limits that always irked me (placed because of constant congestion, I think) was crossing into Oregon from Washington on I-5. Speed limit in Washington = 60. Speed Limit in Oregon = 50. It's the same road with exactly the same standards, built at exactly the same time. And Oregon has been posting 60-65 mph speed limits on their freeways for several decades now. Why this stretch is 50, I'll never know.

corco

A combination of:

1) Oregon's default speed limits are set by state statute
2) Engineers/bureaucrats in Salem that have never even been to SE Oregon and have no idea it even exists
3) A long time prevailing culture of speeding in Oregon (everybody goes/went 10-15 over in eastern Oregon because of the comically low limits, and cops refused to enforce 55 zones in eastern Oregon as long as you kept it under 70) and a weird fear that if you raised the speed limits to something reasonable everybody would still go 10-15 over.

cl94

Quote from: corco on June 17, 2017, 07:27:14 PM
A combination of:

1) Oregon's default speed limits are set by state statute
2) Engineers/bureaucrats in Salem that have never even been to SE Oregon and have no idea it even exists
3) A long time prevailing culture of speeding in Oregon (everybody goes/went 10-15 over in eastern Oregon because of the comically low limits, and cops refused to enforce 55 zones in eastern Oregon as long as you kept it under 70) and a weird fear that if you raised the speed limits to something reasonable everybody would still go 10-15 over.

Replace "Oregon" with any of the northeastern states here and you have the reason why limits here are still 65, even though everybody goes 80+.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.