News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Left Lane Camping

Started by webny99, June 01, 2017, 09:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: michravera on July 23, 2017, 12:54:46 AM
Quote from: 1 on July 22, 2017, 09:11:08 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 22, 2017, 09:01:01 PM
What's a "full gas" car?

From what I can tell, the Jetta did not start production until 1979, and "full gas car" is not an existing phrase. It may be a future prediction where 2022 is the last year that there will be cars that are not electric or hybrids.
I was speaking futuristically for 2045. So, "'22" is 2022. My term "full gas car" is one that runs on gasoline and is no part electric, solar, or dilithium crystals.
Oh.  I thought you meant 1922 and referred to some classic car you already owned!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on July 23, 2017, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: Beltway on July 23, 2017, 02:27:28 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 22, 2017, 10:48:21 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2017, 07:33:18 AMThere's a new Virginia statute effective July 1 of this year that explicitly requires keeping right except to pass, but I'm not optimistic about its being enforced.
Me neither. I don't know about other parts of the state but around here, nothing's really enforced except, true to VA fashion, speed. :rolleyes: I've seen people here pull all kinds of stupid shit (nearly caused me to become a statistic a few times) in front of cops and those fuckers don't blink an eye, but dare go a few miles over the speed limit and BAM! "License and registration please..." :banghead:
That's baloney any way you slice it.
Been driving almost 40 years in this state, and never stopped for 5 to 7 miles over the limit.
I don't care if you believe it or not. It's happened in my area. I know several people here who've gotten nailed for less than 10 over. It's not rampant like Emporia and Hopewell, but it does happen time to time while more serious offenses often go unpunished.
If you've never been stopped, then good for you.

What other infraction(s) were they committing?  If speed was the only thing then excepting the occasional rogue cop they would not be stopped for what you said.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2017, 07:33:18 AMThere's a new Virginia statute effective July 1 of this year that explicitly requires keeping right except to pass, but I'm not optimistic about its being enforced.
Me neither. I don't know about other parts of the state but around here, nothing's really enforced except, true to VA fashion, speed. :rolleyes: I've seen people here pull all kinds of stupid shit (nearly caused me to become a statistic a few times) in front of cops and those fuckers don't blink an eye, but dare go a few miles over the speed limit and BAM! "License and registration please..." :banghead:

Been driving almost 40 years in this state, and never stopped for 5 to 7 miles over the limit.

I don't care if you believe it or not. It's happened in my area. I know several people here who've gotten nailed for less than 10 over. It's not rampant like Emporia and Hopewell, but it does happen time to time while more serious offenses often go unpunished.

Some small towns do stop people for a little over the limit, although 3 over and "under 10 over" is a bit of a difference. And I wouldn't say that's all of VA as you're eluding to, as most of us know just stay under 80 and we're fine.

What are the other more serious infractions that you believe are being ignored?

LM117

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 23, 2017, 10:51:53 PM

Some small towns do stop people for a little over the limit, although 3 over and "under 10 over" is a bit of a difference. And I wouldn't say that's all of VA as you're eluding to, as most of us know just stay under 80 and we're fine.

I'm well aware that not every town/city in VA is anal about speeding, but as a whole, VA is usually stricter than neighboring states, especially NC. I lived in Farmville from 2009-2011 and there's never been a problem.

QuoteWhat are the other more serious infractions that you believe are being ignored?

The first one that comes to mind is one SUV that pulled out in front of me on VA-41. The driver was playing with her phone not paying any attention and pulled out in front of me at an intersection (she had the stop sign). I had to slam my brakes to keep from hitting her. One of Pittsylvania County's finest saw it and just sat there. I've been in the area since 2011 and there were several instances of people playing on their phones not paying attention, or think that stop signs are just suggestions. Piney Forest Road (US-29 Business) in Danville is a goddamn free-for-all with little help from the city police. The state police used to run a speed trap on US-29 Business just before getting to Blairs, but they seemed to have backed off lately.

Whether or not anybody believes what I said is their perogative. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it either way. That's all I have to say about it.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

plain

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 23, 2017, 10:51:53 PM

Ashland, VA was notorious for this at one point. When I lived in western Hanover County (Montpelier) I was riding with my neighbor through Ashland and he got ticketed for going 39 in a 35 zone (SR 657). My uncle came down from Jersey, rode through town and got ticketed for going 50 in a 45 zone (US 1) smdh Ashland police was terrible
Newark born, Richmond bred

hm insulators

Quote from: michravera on July 23, 2017, 01:12:42 PM

I don't, for a fact, know much about Virginia's enforcement tendencies, but it would seem to me that a little bit of enforcement of KRETP laws (or other useful traffic blocking laws) would aid in revenue enforcement. It would give those who intend to speed a clear path to do so.
Officer Hotpencil: Do you know how many drivers who wanted to speed you kept me from citing today?
Motorist Slowpoke: I'm sorry, officer! Can you let me off with a warning?
Officer Hotpencil: Sorry, Ma'am. I can't do that. You probably cost the state at least $1000 in fines.
Motorist Slowpoke: I just didn't think it was safe to go any faster while I was texting, putting in my contacts, and shooting up. ... and you know how dangerous the right lane is ....

I love it!  :-D :clap: :spin:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

mrsman

From my experience, KREPT  is followed pretty well in southern NJ, especially the southern part of I-295.  NJ does a very good job of posting signs about the law and people for the most part do try to follow it in order to be courteous.

Northern NJ is a lot less courteous and it isn't followed as much despite the signage being displayed regularly.

I feel KREPT would probably be followed more in other states if it were signed regularly along the freeway.

This is similar to left lane camping on escalators.  On many transit systems, the escalator should not be viewed as a ride.   There is an unwritten policy that those who aren't in the mood to walk should stay on the right side and let others pass and walk along the left. I wish that such a rule were signed along the DC Metro system, since there are many clueless tourists who just ride along the left.  Most people will move to the right if you say "excuse me" but if the policy were signed in the first place, then it wouldn't be necessary.

And Metro would never sign such a sign because they would say that they would not want to encourage people walking on the escalator because of liability concerns if someone should slip and fall.  But Metro's escalators (and elevators) are generally very slow, slower than those you would see at a department store.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on August 28, 2017, 08:54:59 AM
KREPT

Did you mean "KRETP" or is that another acronym? I only ask because you used "KREPT" twice so I wasn't sure if it was a typo.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on August 28, 2017, 09:30:30 AM
KREPT

Did you mean "KRETP" or is that another acronym? I only ask because you used "KREPT" twice so I wasn't sure if it was a typo.

I thought it was because KREPT is easier to pronounce than KRETP. Sometimes acronyms (usually for company/organization names) intentionally have letters switched so that they are actually pronounceable.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on August 28, 2017, 09:42:44 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 28, 2017, 09:30:30 AM
KREPT

I thought it was because KREPT is easier to pronounce than KRETP. Sometimes acronyms (usually for company/organization names) intentionally have letters switched so that they are actually pronounceable.

I usually spell out the acronym as I'm reading it (instead of trying to say KRETP as a word, I will read out the meaning of each letter). Same manner as you might read out FWIW ("for what it's worth") or AFAIK ("as far as I know").

A better acronym (or initialism, whichever it is) might be KREP ("keep right except to pass, since KREPT has the words out of order. As far as I know, acronyms can often use any letter in the word (although most often the first), but each word must be represented in the order pronounced.

Flint1979

I can't stand it. People constantly riding in the left lane doing the speed limit or just a few miles over it and thinking that they are actually in the right. When I'm driving on an Interstate here in Michigan I'm doing 80 mph no matter what the speed limit is, I don't care if it goes down to 55 mph I'm still doing 80 and if people can't get enough common sense to move over than they must like being tailgated because that's exactly what's going to happen, then get your break and move over to the next lane knowing damn well that the car your passing should be the one in the right lane not you.

If you can't do 80 mph on an Interstate in Michigan then you don't belong on the Interstate.

tradephoric

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 28, 2017, 02:56:30 PM
I can't stand it. People constantly riding in the left lane doing the speed limit or just a few miles over it and thinking that they are actually in the right. When I'm driving on an Interstate here in Michigan I'm doing 80 mph no matter what the speed limit is, I don't care if it goes down to 55 mph I'm still doing 80 and if people can't get enough common sense to move over than they must like being tailgated because that's exactly what's going to happen, then get your break and move over to the next lane knowing damn well that the car your passing should be the one in the right lane not you.

If you can't do 80 mph on an Interstate in Michigan then you don't belong on the Interstate.

There are plenty of exceptions to the keep right law in Michigan.  Motorists may drive in the left lane if passing, if there is a continuous flow of traffic, if turning left, or if on the freeway (i.e., the "expressway") and there are three or more lanes in one direction.  There are so many antiquated interchanges in Michigan that have left hand exits that require drivers to be in the left-most lane to make their exit... Lodge/I-75; Lodge/I-94; Square Lake/I-75 (being rebuilt this year); Lodge/Davison; I-75/Dixie.  If you are doing 80 mph in the left most lane going SB Lodge approaching the Davison interchange, i hope you at least make sure there's nobody to your immediate right so you can take evasive action when you encounter someone merging onto the freeway at 50 mph.

Flint1979

Quote from: tradephoric on August 28, 2017, 03:25:43 PM

There are plenty of exceptions to the keep right law in Michigan.  Motorists may drive in the left lane if passing, if there is a continuous flow of traffic, if turning left, or if on the freeway (i.e., the "expressway") and there are three or more lanes in one direction.  There are so many antiquated interchanges in Michigan that have left hand exits that require drivers to be in the left-most lane to make their exit... Lodge/I-75; Lodge/I-94; Square Lake/I-75 (being rebuilt this year); Lodge/Davison; I-75/Dixie.  If you are doing 80 mph in the left most lane going SB Lodge approaching the Davison interchange, i hope you at least make sure there's nobody to your immediate right so you can take evasive action when you encounter someone merging onto the freeway at 50 mph.
I would say out of all the one's you mentioned the Lodge/Davison is the worst because many times I've been punching it down the Lodge I'll even do over 80 mph in spots only to have to slow down before the Davison because of 50 mph merging traffic. The I-75/Dixie one at exit 93 is bad too, I think I remember a couple of years ago a really bad accident at that interchange, I'm talking about going from NB Dixie to NB I-75 going towards Flint being the worst part of that interchange, the one on the SB side doesn't seem quite as bad. SB I-75 for some reason makes a dip right there causing the need for those left exits. They really could have designed that exit much better.

The one at I-96 and US-23 has a 35 mph ramp coming from the left lane of US-23 to the left lane of I-96 in both directions.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 29, 2017, 01:58:04 PM

I would say out of all the one's you mentioned the Lodge/Davison is the worst because many times I've been punching it down the Lodge I'll even do over 80 mph in spots only to have to slow down before the Davison because of 50 mph merging traffic. The I-75/Dixie one at exit 93 is bad too, I think I remember a couple of years ago a really bad accident at that interchange, I'm talking about going from NB Dixie to NB I-75 going towards Flint being the worst part of that interchange, the one on the SB side doesn't seem quite as bad. SB I-75 for some reason makes a dip right there causing the need for those left exits. They really could have designed that exit much better.
Yes, a motorcycle policeman was hit and trapped under a trailer, and dragged several miles to his death.  Given the oblique angle of the roads involved, they probably figured they couldn't do a typical cloverleaf or par-clo, and they didn't want to do left turns off Dixie Highway.  The northern intersection of I-75 and Dixie Highway/Saginaw Road (changes name at the county line in the middle of the intersection) at Exit 106 also has left entrances.  That section opened in 1962; presumably they didn't know all the problems of left entrances then.

QuoteThe one at I-96 and US-23 has a 35 mph ramp coming from the left lane of US-23 to the left lane of I-96 in both directions.
Not any more.  There still are left lane exits from US-23.  But no left lane entrances.
But why they had to reduce mainline I-96 from 3 lanes to 2 through the interchange ....

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 29, 2017, 04:52:20 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 29, 2017, 01:58:04 PM

Yes, a motorcycle policeman was hit and trapped under a trailer, and dragged several miles to his death.  Given the oblique angle of the roads involved, they probably figured they couldn't do a typical cloverleaf or par-clo, and they didn't want to do left turns off Dixie Highway.  The northern intersection of I-75 and Dixie Highway/Saginaw Road (changes name at the county line in the middle of the intersection) at Exit 106 also has left entrances.  That section opened in 1962; presumably they didn't know all the problems of left entrances then.

QuoteThe one at I-96 and US-23 has a 35 mph ramp coming from the left lane of US-23 to the left lane of I-96 in both directions.
Not any more.  There still are left lane exits from US-23.  But no left lane entrances.
But why they had to reduce mainline I-96 from 3 lanes to 2 through the interchange ....
Yup that's what happened. And I'm pretty familiar with exit 106 on the Genesee/Oakland county line the only non-left ramp at that exit is the northbound off ramp onto Saginaw Road. The design of that exit isn't too bad though but still has the left ramps.

And I forgot that they rebuilt the I-96/US-23 interchange like that. Going from three lanes to two reminds me of the interchange where I-94 becomes the Dan Ryan in Chicago, goes from three lanes on the Bishop Ford, down to two lanes through the curve, then becomes the massive Dan Ryan Expressway. I-96 though doesn't narrow down to four lanes until M-59 so that really puzzles me why they built it like that.

Quillz

I do try to stay in the right lane as much as possible, but on urban freeways where you've got exits every so often, it can get annoying have to slow down for oncoming traffic. So I generally try to use the middle lane as much as possible, it usually works out well for me. If I do use the left lane extensively, it's usually for long-distance travel where I know I'm not going to be getting off for a while. And I'm usually well above the speed limit because I have to be. The other day, had to do around 85 just to keep up with the flow of traffic, despite a 60 mph speed limit.

Flint1979

Quote from: Quillz on August 29, 2017, 11:08:36 PM
I do try to stay in the right lane as much as possible, but on urban freeways where you've got exits every so often, it can get annoying have to slow down for oncoming traffic. So I generally try to use the middle lane as much as possible, it usually works out well for me. If I do use the left lane extensively, it's usually for long-distance travel where I know I'm not going to be getting off for a while. And I'm usually well above the speed limit because I have to be. The other day, had to do around 85 just to keep up with the flow of traffic, despite a 60 mph speed limit.
I do that quite often on I-75 between Saginaw and Flint. Cars will be doing the speed limit or a little under the speed limit, it's four lanes in each direction though so if I'm in the left lane in that stretch I'm doing 85 mph I can back down to 80 once I hit I-475.

plain

Quote from: webny99 on October 31, 2017, 12:11:56 AM
Another question I frequently ponder (probably because I can't drive five freeway miles without encountering this): Who is worse, the left lane camper, or the tailgater?

As much as I despise left lane campers, Tailgaters are much, MUCH worse.. they're just wrecks waiting to happen.
Newark born, Richmond bred

kalvado

Quote from: plain on October 31, 2017, 01:32:03 AM
Another question I frequently ponder (probably because I can't drive five freeway miles without encountering this): Who is worse, the left lane camper, or the tailgater?

As much as I despise left lane campers, Tailgaters are much, MUCH worse.. they're just wrecks waiting to happen.
An other way to ask - Who is worse, the left lane camper, or "keep right no matter what" driver turning others into tailgaters by moving right at less than a safe distance?
Upstream in this thread, later was deemed acceptable...

1995hoo

Regarding moving back over at a safe distance, I'm wondering whether they still teach the technique of ensuring you can see both headlights on the vehicle you're passing in your rearview mirror before you move back over. That was standard instruction when I learned to drive, but when I mentioned it recently I was told I was showing my age.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kalvado

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 31, 2017, 09:11:47 AM
Regarding moving back over at a safe distance, I'm wondering whether they still teach the technique of ensuring you can see both headlights on the vehicle you're passing in your rearview mirror before you move back over. That was standard instruction when I learned to drive, but when I mentioned it recently I was told I was showing my age.
I was told "entire front of the car", not "both headlights" - which should be essentially the same. 
But thinking about it, this is way too close for a highway - and this distance doesn't depend in speed: my mirror is 10" wide, car is under 6', and mirror to eye is about 2'. That translates into mere 15' of distance.. Were mirrors smaller back then?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: plain on October 31, 2017, 01:32:03 AM

They're both at fault.  Someone shouldn't be tailgating, but that person is probably tailgating when someone else is driving too slow in front of them.  If the left lane camper wasn't in the left lane, the other person wouldn't be tailgating.

Quote from: kalvado on October 31, 2017, 09:23:40 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 31, 2017, 09:11:47 AM
I was told "entire front of the car", not "both headlights" - which should be essentially the same. 
But thinking about it, this is way too close for a highway - and this distance doesn't depend in speed: my mirror is 10" wide, car is under 6', and mirror to eye is about 2'. That translates into mere 15' of distance.. Were mirrors smaller back then?

I learned the 2 headlights in the mirror technique as well.

As far as your calculations go though, I think some of it has to do with your seating position as well.  15' of distance is roughly a little longer than a standard skip line which can be about 10 - 12 feet.  There's definitely more room than that between me and the other car in the next lane over once I can see both their headlights.

Then again, if you're moving at a reasonably faster pace than the car you're passing, by the time you pass them, see their headlights or front of their car, and turn on your signal, you're still supposed to wait 100 feet prior to merging, which increases the distance between you and the passed vehicle.  Note...I'm not saying you'll be another 100 feet in front of them because they're still moving, but you'll still have some extra distance.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kalvado on October 31, 2017, 08:46:39 AMAnother way to ask - Who is worse, the left lane camper, or "keep right no matter what" driver turning others into tailgaters by moving right at less than a safe distance?

I think I said that was my preference, in line with a general expectation to be "held harmless" when other people undertake discretionary overtaking maneuvers.  However, I don't think this sentiment was universally shared.

If a person passes me and then cuts back in front of me, I will often disengage cruise control, let my speed drop by as much as 10 mph while I "row back" to restore an acceptable following distance, and then speed back up and re-engage cruise control.  I am usually the only person I see on the road doing this.

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 31, 2017, 09:11:47 AMRegarding moving back over at a safe distance, I'm wondering whether they still teach the technique of ensuring you can see both headlights on the vehicle you're passing in your rearview mirror before you move back over. That was standard instruction when I learned to drive, but when I mentioned it recently I was told I was showing my age.

I am not that far from your age and I don't think it was ever taught when I was learning to drive, admittedly in a city with far less congestion.  This particular rule of thumb still leaves too little space, so I wouldn't apply it except in cases where the overtaking vehicle is going considerably faster than the overtaken vehicle but is being tailgated by another would-be overtaker and wishes to move right ASAP to remove the temptation for the tailgater to slalom.

My personal preference is to redevelop at least a standard two-second following distance before I move back over.  At highway speeds I would like to do at least four seconds (per AAA's Sportsmanlike Driving).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 31, 2017, 09:52:43 AM
Quote from: kalvado on October 31, 2017, 08:46:39 AMAnother way to ask - Who is worse, the left lane camper, or "keep right no matter what" driver turning others into tailgaters by moving right at less than a safe distance?

I think I said that was my preference, in line with a general expectation to be "held harmless" when other people undertake discretionary overtaking maneuvers.  However, I don't think this sentiment was universally shared.
From my on-road experience, cutting off to keep right no matter what is a very common behavior. I believe it is second worst highway offense, right after driving with high beams in dense traffic.

kphoger

I've been wondering recently how others define a left lane camper. Here's my definition:
Left Lane Camper (n): A driver who fails to move right when there is sufficient space to do so without slowing down, regardless of his/her current speed.

I know some of you must not use that definition, if you don't think Ohio has a lot of these people  :-D

A left lane dawdler is one who stays in the left lane because he's daydreaming, distracted, or has no clue he's supposed to move over.
A left lane camper is one who stays in the left lane for no good reason, typically because he doesn't feel like having to move left again later.
A left lane hog is one who insists on driving in the far left lane no matter what, everyone else be damned.

Even though I hate left lane dawdlers/campers/hogs, I still say tailgaters are worse.  Tailgaters tend to tailgate even in the absence of a left lane camper–i.e., tailgating in the right lane, or just not being patient enough to let the slower driver complete the passing maneuver.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.