News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

3DI Fonts

Started by Mergingtraffic, June 26, 2017, 12:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: jakeroot on June 27, 2017, 01:35:52 PMThere are some shields in California that I think are very nice. They use Series D (probably modified):
That looks like regular Series D.  When I stated modified in my earlier post; I was referring to the wider stroke width (to accommodate reflector buttons for the above-examples). 

Only Series E has an actual separate modified (E(M)) font companion.  Officially, there is no Series D-Modified or D(M).

Side bar: most states have since abandoned the use of state-named I-shields across-the board and although Caltrans still(?) uses such for its stand-alone signs (trailblazer & reassurance signage); I believe they use neutered shields with larger numerals (for better distant-visibility) for its BGS'.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

I'm not sure which series is which, but I do know that the marker on the right looks a lot better than the one on the left in this photo:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 27, 2017, 02:24:57 PM
Side bar: most states have since abandoned the use of state-named I-shields across-the board and although Caltrans still(?) uses such for its stand-alone signs (trailblazer & reassurance signage); I believe they use neutered shields with larger numerals (for better distant-visibility) for its BGS'.

Yes, they forego the use of the state name on most guide signs. But, the spacing around the edge of the numbers is still better than most 3di shields with Series C (though they also use a slightly modified 3di shield, so maybe they're cheating). It's hard to avoid getting the numbers too close to the left and right edges of the shield, but it's nice when the number isn't too close to the top of the blue area. The shield below has the number scooted down from the top edge quite a bit, which makes a difference to me:

Quote from: hbelkins on June 27, 2017, 02:33:10 PM
I'm not sure which series is which, but I do know that the marker on the right looks a lot better than the one on the left in this photo:

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2009_Northeast_Day_2/Images/219.jpg

The left is Series D. The right is Series C. I prefer the shield on the left.

myosh_tino

Quote from: jakeroot on June 27, 2017, 01:35:52 PM
There are some shields in California that I think are very nice. They use Series D (probably modified):

For the most part you are correct.  Here's a brief run-down on 3-digit interstate shields used on overhead guide signs in California...

"Early" Button Copy - 15" Series D-modified

"Middle" Button Copy - 12" Series E-modified

"Late" Button Copy - 15" Series E-modified

Current  - 15" Series D

I must point out 3DI shields in California measure 45" x 38" which is 2 inches taller than the national standard (45 x 36).    Of the above variations, my favorite remains the 15" Series D-modified shields followed by the 15" Series D shields found on all new reflective signs.  My least favorite is the 15" Series E-modified simply because the numerals look squished.

I have been, and never will be, a fan of using 18" numerals in any 36" tall shield period.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

PHLBOS

For those that may not know or are unfamiliar with PA Turnpike history; the reasoning for the (needless IMHO) redundancy of I-476 shields was due to this BGS was originally erected prior to the Northeast Extension becoming I-476 (the BGS had a PA 9 shield next to the Series D I-476 shield). 

Personally, I would've just removed the direction cardinals and repositioned the original I-476 shield so that it was centered between its old position and the removed-PA 9 shield.  Moot point today because this BGS has since been replaced with one of a more simpler design & layout.

Another comparison exercise (using mostly I-476 shields):

Series D, 16"  height

Series C, 18"  height

Series D, 18"  height
Note: these BGS' replaced ones that had shorter 16"  Series D numerals roughly 6 months after the Blue Route first opened.  PennDOT's supposed reasoning for replacing brand new signs at this interchange as well as ones at MacDade Blvd. & I-95 was in response to requests/complaints about the numerals not being large enough to see at a distance.  If such was the case; I would've went w/18" Series C.  The D numerals in this example indeed appear cluttered; not recommended IMHO.

Series B, 18"  height  Not recommended IMHO; the numerals appear anemic.

This one hasn't yet been brought up (a likely-PA exclusive):

Elongated/stretched Series D, see I-476 shield

Similar style w/I-276 shields
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

I actually prefer the one on the left.  More blue outside of the numbering.  I actually have an easier time reading the 57 and 61 spec shields.
A great comparison pic for the thread tho.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

hotdogPi

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 27, 2017, 06:56:33 PM

I actually prefer the one on the left.  More blue outside of the numbering.  I actually have an easier time reading the 57 and 61 spec shields.

Also prefer left. The right is a raci-... oh wait, that's NE2's line. The right shield just looks a bit strange. I also think it's the blue space.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on June 27, 2017, 07:09:40 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 27, 2017, 06:56:33 PM

...The right shield just looks a bit strange. I also think it's the blue space.
If one looks closely at the shield on the right; it appears that the numerals aren't evenly spaced.  That might be why it looks, in your words, strange.

Here's a better (IMHO) example of Series C & properly-spaced numerals.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: myosh_tino on June 27, 2017, 05:40:22 PM
I haven't been, and never will be, a fan of using 18" numerals in any 36" tall shield period.
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 27, 2017, 05:51:06 PM
The (18") D numerals in this example indeed appear cluttered; not recommended IMHO.

I have a strong preference for Series D, but even I hate 18" Series D. I'll take Series B over that cramped crap.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on June 26, 2017, 01:01:14 PM

For what it's worth, this is the exact variant specified in the federal MUTCD. (Note also that the word "INTERSTATE" is in series E; this is a detail that most states skip over, keeping the Series C specified on the two-digit shield.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 29, 2017, 01:54:01 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 26, 2017, 01:01:14 PM
http://nysroads.com/images/gallery/NY/winrd/100_7390-s.JPG

For what it's worth, this is the exact variant specified in the federal MUTCD. (Note also that the word "INTERSTATE" is in series E; this is a detail that most states skip over, keeping the Series C specified on the two-digit shield.)

I didn't realize that. Most of the shields along Washington's I-405 use the narrower "INTERSTATE", but some use the wider Series E variant. I always thought it was mistake.

Here's (IMO) an excellent Series C shield, along with the proper INTERSTATE text. Other than the smaller 16" Series D variants posted sparingly, this is definitely the best-looking 405 shield along the route (it's filled with bubble shields)...

odditude

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 29, 2017, 01:54:01 PM
my personal preference is Series C for "INTERSTATE" regardless of shield width, as it used to be specified. the first time I saw E on a 3DI shield, I was convinced it was a contractor error.

ekt8750

Incidentally enough the one on the left is ironically a PennDOT produced shield (note the white dot at the very bottom of the blue area, that's the old PennDOT logo) using the PennDOT font. There's a ton of those lining the various interchanges of the PennDOT portion of 476. I'm a bit surprised one found its way onto a PTC sign though.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 27, 2017, 01:30:21 PM
During the button-copy era(s); Series E(M) was mostly used for numerals on I-shields:

Occasionally, some button-copy I-shields (even 3dis) did feature Series D (modified(?)) numerals.

Quote from: seicer on June 27, 2017, 09:42:01 AM
Clearview
Not/never allowed per FHWA.
what is wrong with the 7 and 6 on the 3di adjacent (right).
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Pink Jazz

As for button copy on Interstate shields, I think ADOT stopped producing button copy Interstate shields in the 1980s, even though ADOT continued to use button copy until 2000.

DJStephens

Why the discontinuation?  Expense?  There is still some on the 17 Freeway (Black Canyon) Viewed it earlier this week.   

jakeroot

Quote from: DJStephens on June 30, 2017, 10:01:22 PM
Why the discontinuation?  Expense?  There is still some on the 17 Freeway (Black Canyon) Viewed it earlier this week.

Of button copy? It was superseded, in terms of readability, by retroreflective signage. Not sure which year the changeover started (probably earlier in some places, later in others), but the last state to dump button copy was Arizona, in 2000.

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 30, 2017, 09:31:38 PM
During the button-copy era(s); Series E(M) was mostly used for numerals on I-shields:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2127/1653841717_077c705e37_b.jpg

Things look fine to me. What appears wrong?

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on June 30, 2017, 10:49:08 PM

Of button copy? It was superseded, in terms of readability, by retroreflective signage. Not sure which year the changeover started (probably earlier in some places, later in others), but the last state to dump button copy was Arizona, in 2000.

Maybe the 6 is fine, but the seven seems as if there was an error in it's scaling or alginment. The upper branch off the seven appears thicker than the other shield or the 6 accompanying the 7 on the right sign.

SignGeek101

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 30, 2017, 11:04:25 PM

Maybe the 6 is fine, but the seven seems as if there was an error in it's scaling or alginment. The upper branch off the seven appears thicker than the other shield or the 6 accompanying the 7 on the right sign.

I don't see anything either.

jakeroot

I think your eyes are deceiving you :-D -- I don't see anything wrong. Or maybe my eyes suck!?

The 476 is slightly smaller than the 76 next to it, if that's something you're noticing. But that's only to cram it in the 3di shield. The digits inside the 476 shield appear to be scaled appropriately, at least compared to each other.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on July 01, 2017, 01:18:16 AM

I think your eyes are deceiving you :-D -- I don't see anything wrong. Or maybe my eyes suck!?

The 476 is slightly smaller than the 76 next to it, if that's something you're noticing. But that's only to cram it in the 3di shield. The digits inside the 476 shield appear to be scaled appropriately, at least compared to each other.
Man, no tellin' what I've inhaling through the air nowadays! So, you may be right, but at first the 7 did look a little jank.

JoePCool14

Well, I think we can at least all agree on one way not to do it.

Personally, I prefer using Series D on all Interstate shields.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Quillz

I've come around to Series B. I used to dislike it, but in the right application, it can look fine. But for 3di interstate shields, I generally prefer Series C. I think it looks the most "balanced" in terms of aesthetics and readability, and its what is recommended in the MUTCD. However, Series B can look good if it's a bit taller (perhaps 12'' vs 10''), and the shield itself is a bit thinner. Of course, the latter part usually means something that isn't an 3di shield. Quebec actually uses a one-size-fits-all autoroute shield, which calls for Series B for three-digit numbers, and I think it looks pretty nice. Mexican autopista shields also use Series B exclusively, although there seems to be less standardization there.

PHLBOS

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 08, 2017, 12:15:39 PM
Well, I think we can at least all agree on one way not to do it.

Personally, I prefer using Series D on all Interstate shields.
I'm assuming your beef with the above is with the I-290 shield.  Actually, if one looks closer (click on the photo for enlargement); those 290 numerals look more like Elongated/stretched Series D rather than Series C.  See my earlier post showing the various numeral fonts used for I-476 shields.

290 in Series C are slightly narrower than the above-example.

An older, example of an I-290 shield in Series C numerals (faded shields have since been replaced):
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.