News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I LOVE NEW YORK to Sponsor NASCAR Race at Watkins Glen

Started by 74/171FAN, July 01, 2017, 04:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

This is probably the only time NASCAR and this forum will actually have a topic truly relate to each other.

From Jayski on ESPN.comWatkins Glen International names NASCAR Cup race sponsor

QuoteWatkins Glen International announced today that I LOVE NEW YORK, the iconic tourism arm for New York State, has agreed to partner with the historic facility to present The Glen's Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race on Sunday, August 6th.

QuoteEmpire State Development President, CEO and Commissioner Howard Zemsky said, "Governor Cuomo's commitment to the tourism industry is paying off - we're seeing across the board growth that's contributing to stronger local economies and more jobs for New Yorkers. By enhancing our already strong partnership with Watkins Glen International and sponsoring the I LOVE NEW YORK 355, our iconic and welcoming logo will be seen by racing fans around the world, further promoting our first-class attractions and destinations."

QuoteThe I LOVE NEW YORK 355 at The Glen is the marquee event of the August 3-6 race weekend at Watkins Glen International. Racing starts Friday with the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race, and continues with Saturday's running of the NASCAR XFINITY Series Zippo 200 at The Glen. Previously run under the Cheez-It 355 at The Glen title, "355" denotes the distance of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race - 90 laps for 220.5 miles - in kilometers.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 01, 2017, 04:35:59 AM
This is probably the only time NASCAR and this forum will actually have a topic truly relate to each other.

The thread about Tony Stewart's sprint car accident unintentionally got very close to relating to this forum due to a coincidence:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13175.msg2008893#msg2008893

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 25, 2014, 10:41:27 AM
More to the AARoads aspect of the Stewart story, I noted this:  :bigass:

QuoteOntario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo said the victim, Kevin Ward Jr., was under the influence of marijuana the night of the accident "enough to impair judgment." Tantillo also said two videos examined by investigators showed "no aberrational driving by Tony Stewart."

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/11582576/tony-stewart-face-charges-death-kevin-ward-jr

Which led to this reply:

Quote from: mtantillo on September 25, 2014, 12:26:30 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 25, 2014, 10:41:27 AM
More to the AARoads aspect of the Stewart story, I noted this:  :bigass:

QuoteOntario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo said the victim, Kevin Ward Jr., was under the influence of marijuana the night of the accident "enough to impair judgment." Tantillo also said two videos examined by investigators showed "no aberrational driving by Tony Stewart."

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/11582576/tony-stewart-face-charges-death-kevin-ward-jr

Hah, I used to love seeing my name on campaign posters in upstate NY when I was a little kid!  But, unfortunately, no known (close) relationship.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kalvado

Great opportunity to put a few of these signs along the track!

Do you think signs would be posted every 1000 feet, or they will reduce spacing to 500' for such an important location?

sparker

Quote from: kalvado on July 02, 2017, 08:56:44 AM

Do you think signs would be posted every 1000 feet, or they will reduce spacing to 500' for such an important location?

Just one big one -- right at the start/finish line.  Seriously, I think it's time NASCAR put a road course into the "playoffs" -- move the Sonoma race so it's in the fall during the eliminations, and add Road America up in WI to the schedule where Sonoma is now (and either 86 one of the mile or 1.5-mile events -- particularly if it's a track duplication of an earlier event).  Sonoma's usually blistering hot during the early summer, so that'll give everyone (drivers and spectators) an easier time of it by a fall relocation.  They're already using Road America for the Infinity series, so it's a known factor -- and it doesn't hurt that it's in a very attractive location!

hbelkins

Well, darn. If I make it to the Twin Cities meet next weekend, I'll miss seeing Watkins Glen on the drive home. And I'm a huge fan of the road courses.

Quote from: sparker on July 29, 2017, 11:32:16 PM

Just one big one -- right at the start/finish line. 

Beat me to it!

QuoteSeriously, I think it's time NASCAR put a road course into the "playoffs" -- move the Sonoma race so it's in the fall during the eliminations, and add Road America up in WI to the schedule where Sonoma is now (and either 86 one of the mile or 1.5-mile events -- particularly if it's a track duplication of an earlier event).  Sonoma's usually blistering hot during the early summer, so that'll give everyone (drivers and spectators) an easier time of it by a fall relocation.  They're already using Road America for the Infinity series, so it's a known factor -- and it doesn't hurt that it's in a very attractive location!

Next year's fall Charlotte race is going to use their road course instead of the 1.5-mile oval.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on July 30, 2017, 02:41:41 PM
Well, darn. If I make it to the Twin Cities meet next weekend, I'll miss seeing Watkins Glen on the drive home. And I'm a huge fan of the road courses.

Quote from: sparker on July 29, 2017, 11:32:16 PM

Just one big one -- right at the start/finish line. 

Beat me to it!

QuoteSeriously, I think it's time NASCAR put a road course into the "playoffs" -- move the Sonoma race so it's in the fall during the eliminations, and add Road America up in WI to the schedule where Sonoma is now (and either 86 one of the mile or 1.5-mile events -- particularly if it's a track duplication of an earlier event).  Sonoma's usually blistering hot during the early summer, so that'll give everyone (drivers and spectators) an easier time of it by a fall relocation.  They're already using Road America for the Infinity series, so it's a known factor -- and it doesn't hurt that it's in a very attractive location!

Next year's fall Charlotte race is going to use their road course instead of the 1.5-mile oval.

Well, that's a bit of a consolation prize.  Still think Road America should be on the Monster schedule somewhere (4 road races/year?).  Some ovals are a bit boring; there are some relatively unattractive ones (Phoenix, for example) that really don't need 2 visits per season.  But since there obviously was pressure to put a road course into the playoffs, it's not surprising they selected one in their central operating area. 

SP Cook

Road courses.  I agree with the late Dale Earnhardt, who seeing Sonoma for the first time said "They (sic) has got to be a three-quarter mile dirt track out here somewhere they could pave and put seats around."  Yep.  Even before the new management's damaging changes to the sport, I never understood the appeal of road courses.  It is just not what stock car racing is all about. 

I Love NY.  NY state has bought a lot of ads on golf about what a great place NY state is to do business.  Admire them for the try, but that is like trying to sell daily prostate exams.  In any event, I see a lot of sports events getting sponsors from governments, either the "development office" (I used to work in the same building as my state's development office, as we are even more anti-job creator than NY, I never understood how those people slept at night) or the lottery.  I'm not so sure governement should be sponsoring private sports events.  Maybe it is a good buy, or maybe (as with Lance Armstrong's deal with the USPS), some governement big-wig is getting the VIP treatment as the title sponsor of his (her in that case) favorite sport, rather than working for a living. 

sparker

Quote from: SP Cook on July 31, 2017, 10:04:26 AM
Road courses.  I agree with the late Dale Earnhardt, who seeing Sonoma for the first time said "They (sic) has got to be a three-quarter mile dirt track out here somewhere they could pave and put seats around."  Yep.  Even before the new management's damaging changes to the sport, I never understood the appeal of road courses.  It is just not what stock car racing is all about. 

NASCAR ceased to be a "stock car" circuit long ago when they elected to hyper-standardize the cars in their "we're going to make it all about the driver" mode.  What I think would be fantastic is if, during the winter off-season, they had a series of 4-5 races where the teams would schlep on down to their local dealers (and this would sure benefit teams like Hendrick & Penske whose financial standing stems from car dealership chains!) and buy a car or several, let their engineers have at it to do with as they see fit, and get out and race the damn things!  Whatever makes them go faster and hit that sweet spot between tight & loose -- more power to them!  The only things that would be standardized -- use strictly 1.5-mile ovals (I'm sure NASCAR can come up with enough of these for a mini-season) to lessen the uncertainty of the unknown quantity that would be the (close-to-real) stock car.  Would be fun for the audience -- and certainly "retro"! 

spooky

formulanone

Quote from: SP Cook on July 31, 2017, 10:04:26 AM

We could go back to just putting a tiller above the front axle. Or if you really want to get back to basics, a whip and some reigns. But I digress, left and right turns have been on paths for many thousands of years now.

sparker

Quote from: spooky on July 31, 2017, 03:05:53 PM
Win on Sunday, sell on Monday!

...........after a complete overhaul/refurbishment, of course.  400 miles on any track at 100 mph+ puts a bit of strain on the engine, suspension, transmission, differential.........ad infinitum!  But running or not, it sure would have novelty value!  They'd probably show up at the televised auto auctions!

formulanone

Quote from: sparker on July 31, 2017, 11:13:15 PM
Quote from: spooky on July 31, 2017, 03:05:53 PM
Win on Sunday, sell on Monday!

...........after a complete overhaul/refurbishment, of course.  400 miles on any track at 100 mph+ puts a bit of strain on the engine, suspension, transmission, differential.........ad infinitum!  But running or not, it sure would have novelty value!  They'd probably show up at the televised auto auctions!

The phrase comes from the days of when a racing innovation or winning model vaguely translated to automotive sales. It was a big deal in the early age of the automobile, as it proved your vehicle could outlast demanding conditions.

I don't think it matters much anymore, as most medium and high-tier racing cars are built directly to the specifications of the series. Wins matter to sponsors, but less so to the manufacturer...except maybe on the second-to-last page of a glossy sales brochure (also a dying breed).

Also, the best sales days are Saturdays, but who's counting?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.