News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State / National parks that are no more

Started by inkyatari, July 13, 2017, 09:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

In digging through the Illinois roadmaps on the state archives, I noticed that there's a state park in Ottawa, Fox River state park that must have been decommissioned in the late 50's / early 60's.  I've driven through the river valley there, and noticed abandoned picnic shelters that look like they were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, and was wondering what was up with that.  I've done search after search, but have found no information on this particular park.

Looking up the proposal for Driftless Rivers National Park (A proposed national park in Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois, that will never happen,) I saw something interesting..  Where the Savanna, IL Army Ammunition Depot is, used to be Savanna National Forest, once upon a time.  Yes, Illinois once had TWO national forests.

Another thing I found interesting is that Mackinac Island in Michigan was actually one of the first few National Parks at one time.

Anybody have any examples of this sort of thing in their area?

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Max Rockatansky

Pagago Park in Phoenix was a National Monument from 1914 to 1930.  Apparently it didn't meet what the criteria of what Congress thought made it worth of National Monument Status. 

SP Cook

WV has four former state parks. 

Grandview State Park, near Beckley, was given to the federal government in 1990 and is a part of the New River Gorge National River (which is a different thing from a national park, WV has no national parks).

Mont Chateau State Park, near Morgantown, was a part of a 1950s and 60s "economic development" idea of building  a chain of "resort" state parks.  It was economically unviable and abandoned in 1977. 

Morgan Monument, which really was just that, a small monument beside the road to the (alledeged) first white settler in what became WV, was turned over to the WVDOH as a roadside rest area.  AFAIK it has since fallen into disrepair.

Rumsey Monument, again just a small monument to James Rumsey, an inventor, was turned over the the town of Shephardstown as a city park in 1977.

BTW, in the federal system a "national forest" is under the Department of Agriculture and is charged with "conservation, timber harvesting, livestock grazing, wildlife adn watershed protection and recreation as the case may be from time to time".  A "national park" is under the Department of Interior, and as to the "natural" (as opposed to the "historical") ones are to be "forever preserved".  Totally different concepts.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on July 13, 2017, 09:09:45 AM
Another thing I found interesting is that Mackinac Island in Michigan was actually one of the first few National Parks at one time.

Mackinac Island was actually the second national park (after Yellowstone), and was handed to the state to take care of.  The state then made it a state park, the first such state park in the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island_State_Park
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Rothman

Fossil Cycad National Monument was dissolved.  I believe this was the one that taught us that if you are not ready to establish at the time of announcement, the poachers and other interests rush in.

In short, by the time it was established, the place was picked clean.

See also Great Smoky Mountains for a parallel experience:  When it was being considered, loggers greatly increased their logging before designation (some ridiculous number of acres were razed every day in their efforts).  Of course, not enough damage to not create the park.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Miner Lake State Park in NY was disestablished and given over to the Ganienkeh band of Mohawk as part of an as-yet-unresolved sovereignty dispute. Although in truth, I don't know how fully established or developed Miner Lake actually ever was as a park site.

iPhone

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota has 16 former state parks; most of them were glorified city parks that were given back to those cities.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bmorrill

The Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Oklahoma used to be Platt National Park. Went there in the late 50s. Chief attraction was the mineral springs/spa. :-(

texaskdog

Quote from: Brandon on July 13, 2017, 10:45:20 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on July 13, 2017, 09:09:45 AM

Mackinac Island was actually the second national park (after Yellowstone), and was handed to the state to take care of.  The state then made it a state park, the first such state park in the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island_State_Park

I proudly notified Wikipedia of this, my only claim to fame lol

texaskdog

Quote from: bmorrill on July 13, 2017, 01:25:37 PM
The Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Oklahoma used to be Platt National Park. Went there in the late 50s. Chief attraction was the mineral springs/spa. :-(

It is a nice park but I see why it is no longer, it works better as a NRA.  We went there earlier this year.  It was at one time the 2nd most visited NP!

wxfree

Texas has a former state park highway.  I remember reading about the history, but don't remember where.  As I recall, the legislature wanted a state park in the area but made no appropriation to buy land and the owner wouldn't donate it.  As an alternative, a state park highway was established along SH 166, which still serves as a scenic loop around the mountains.  Later the land for a park was donated and the state park highway idea was abandoned.

The park is mentioned in the highway designation file.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sh/sh0166.htm

The road still has a neat park called Point of Rocks.  There's a parking area and a small piece of public land where people can climb up a rocky hill.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.533727,-104.0640148,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDI5lHCCEGd7351aPXbqA5g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DDI5lHCCEGd7351aPXbqA5g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D192.44899%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 13, 2017, 01:10:44 PM
Minnesota has 16 former state parks; most of them were glorified city parks that were given back to those cities.

Do you have a list/source for those? I'm curious to know what/where they were.

epzik8

There's Palmer State Park along Deer Creek to the northeast of Bel Air, Maryland, just off U.S. Route 1, which is basically just trees now. Forge Hill Road, a previous alignment of U.S. 1 which then became Maryland Route 590 before being downgraded to Harford County maintenance, goes through it.

Also, Deer Creek State Park in Harford became Rocks State Park, which is still alive and kicking today.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JJBers

Quote from: epzik8 on July 13, 2017, 10:52:09 PM
There's Palmer State Park along Deer Creek to the northeast of Bel Air, Maryland, just off U.S. Route 1, which is basically just trees now. Forge Hill Road, a previous alignment of U.S. 1 which then became Maryland Route 590 before being downgraded to Harford County maintenance, goes through it.

Also, Deer Creek State Park in Harford became Rocks State Park, which is still alive and kicking today.
We have a state park the fringes the borders of Hartford and Tolland counties.

In Connecticut.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

hotdogPi

Quote from: JJBers on July 14, 2017, 12:37:48 AM

In Connecticut.

"Harford" wasn't a typo.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

JJBers

Quote from: 1 on July 14, 2017, 05:36:15 AM
Quote from: JJBers on July 14, 2017, 12:37:48 AM

In Connecticut.

"Harford" wasn't a typo.
But it's close enough to get confused.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

inkyatari

Anybody from Northern IL have any information on Fox River State Park / Conservation area in Ottawa?  I'm looking for old park maps and such.  Really, any information.

mgk920

I'm not up on the details, but there is a decommissioned state park (former Lost Dauphin State Park) in the Green Bay, WI area, overlooking the Fox River along Brown County 'D' just southwest (upstream) of De Pere, WI.

Mike

Revive 755

IIRC there were two state parks in Missouri in the St. Louis area that were downgraded or changed:

* Fort Zumwalt State Park in St. Charles County - which at one time had a MO 175 leading to it per one of the Missouri highways websites.  Appears to have been downgraded to either a county or municipal park.

* Mastodon State Park - changed to a 'State Historic Site'.

rte66man

Quote from: texaskdog on July 13, 2017, 02:03:36 PM

It is a nice park but I see why it is no longer, it works better as a NRA.  We went there earlier this year.  It was at one time the 2nd most visited NP!

The boundaries of Platt NP were far less than the current NRA.  Platt was just the part immediately adjacent to downtown Sulphur, including the Travertine Springs area.  We used to go over there from Duncan at least once a summer to drink from the springs and generally cool off in the creeks as they weren't filled with red mud as were the streams and lakes in our area.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

inkyatari

I've found information about Fox River State Park.  It was on a topo map as late as 1970, disappeared from Illinois road maps once I-80 went through, and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources still owns the property.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: rte66man on July 20, 2017, 02:35:08 PM

The boundaries of Platt NP were far less than the current NRA.  Platt was just the part immediately adjacent to downtown Sulphur, including the Travertine Springs area.  We used to go over there from Duncan at least once a summer to drink from the springs and generally cool off in the creeks as they weren't filled with red mud as were the streams and lakes in our area.

It's a nice area but pretty sparsely visited. 

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 07, 2017, 08:16:47 PM
All of them if I get my way.

Why though? Do realize the immense value of all these parks?!
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Rothman

Quote from: texaskdog on August 07, 2017, 08:18:34 PM
Quote from: rte66man on July 20, 2017, 02:35:08 PM

It's a nice area but pretty sparsely visited.
Chickasaw NRA gets 1.3m visits a year, per the NPS site.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.