News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

A blizzard warning is in effect for Long Island, New York State.

yanksfan6129

As the nor'easter trends further north and west, the NWS puts my town at 6-12. Most of Virginia through DC and Maryland up to Philly is reallly in the 12-24 range.

PAHighways

Winter Weather Advisory for most of the area around me which will probably at most get three inches, but my county is under a Winter Storm Warning with near six inches possible especially in the Chestnut and Laurel Ridges that slice through the eastern part.

bugo

Fair and 54 here.  I don't want to trade.

allniter89

40's and rain/drizzle here (FL panhandle). If its going to be this cold and damp I'd just soon have snow! Born & raised in Dover, DE, been in FL 28 yrs. I still miss those good ole Northeasters. Lived waaay out in the country, a storm like this usually meant 2-3 days snowed in if it snows & blows, ahh good times!!  :)
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

english si

Quote from: Truvelo on December 18, 2009, 06:37:38 AM
Some parts of the UK had a few inches of snow last night.
There was also half an inch on Wednesday and Thursday as well as the 4 to 6 inches falling Thursday/Friday night in the Chilterns. They have been a bit hit and miss at when and how much will fall. For instance, we were meant to have more snow tonight, but only a light dusting has occurred so far.

A big problem is that there's quite a bit of water and slush that formed as people walked/drove over the snow today and as the sun melted it - this will refreeze tonight and make the roads very dangerous with black ice.

BigMattFromTexas

Alps

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on December 18, 2009, 04:40:43 PM
As the nor'easter trends further north and west, the NWS puts my town at 6-12. Most of Virginia through DC and Maryland up to Philly is reallly in the 12-24 range.
I'm only at 4-6 inches.  We live 5 miles apart...

njroadhorse

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 19, 2009, 02:05:09 AM
Quote from: yanksfan6129 on December 18, 2009, 04:40:43 PM
I'm only at 4-6 inches.  We live 5 miles apart...
I'm at 6-12 IIRC, but I'm in the mountains...
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

yanksfan6129

Alps, I don't know whatchu talkin' 'bout, Parsippany (from NWS) is: 3-5 during the day today, 3-5 tonight. Same in my town.

yanksfan6129

Just measured 5" in my front yard, with likely much more to go.

PAHighways

Just went out to measure and unofficially six inches with the snow still coming down.  When I was out earlier this evening, the state and township routes were clear and passable but city streets left a lot to be desired.

Winter Weather Warning for entire Turnpike System

Speeds Reduced on I-78, I-80, I-81, I-380, US 22 and PA 33 Due to Winter Weather

yanksfan6129

Just measured 8" outside my home. If this low continues its stall, we could be looking at 10" to 16" where I live!

njroadhorse

I only got about 4 inches of snow total!  Screw you Weather Channel!
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

yanksfan6129

I ended up with the 8 I measured last night

froggie

16.3 officially at DCA.  Anywhere from 15-20 across most of the DC area.

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on December 20, 2009, 11:58:51 AM
16.3 officially at DCA.  Anywhere from 15-20 across most of the DC area.

Irony department...
From Diplomatic Storm to Snowstorm

The Eastern U.S. prepared for a harsh winter storm Saturday, as forecasts called for up to 20 inches of snow across the region, including Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and reaching up to New York -- even affecting President Obama's travel plans after a contentious climate change summit in Denmark.

I'm not making any kind of political statement for or against global warming/climate change here as an individual day does not prove or disprove any theories regarding climate.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on December 21, 2009, 01:35:14 AM
I'm not making any kind of political statement for or against global warming/climate change here as an individual day does not prove or disprove any theories regarding climate.

a week ago it was a giant blue spiral when he went to Norway - and now, this.  quick, Barry, visit a bunch of countries - I want to see what's next!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Oklahoma could possibly get three inches or so on Christmas Eve. White Christmases are pretty rare here, so this might be fun.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

74/171FAN

The Richmond Airport got around 7 inches.  Down here in Prince George it was more around 3-5 inches.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Chris

The Netherlands range from about 8 inches (my town) up to two feet.

Again, any accumulation over 2 - 3 inches is rare in this country.

english si

took half an hour to do about 1.5 miles just now - snow's coming down quite heavily (we had about 4inches on Saturday and about one so far tonight, making there being about 6 inches of snow on the ground at the moment, where it hasn't been touched - some melted and it's settled and shrunk) and the gritters hadn't been along that (main) road. There was a lot of melt water that'll freeze later tonight, making dangerous conditions worse.

London is pretty gridlocked and this is the most pre-Christmas snow there for a great many years. Eurostar's trains have been screwed for the last few days (none running, 55000 people stuck on one side of the channel or the other) as a bit of snow got into the electrics of one train and melted, causing it to fail.

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2009, 10:38:04 AM
Oklahoma could possibly get three inches or so on Christmas Eve. White Christmases are pretty rare here, so this might be fun.
I'm flying out of Oklahoma the day before it's supposed to start getting cold. Unfortunately, where I'm going the forecast is for an ice storm on Christmas day...

Truvelo

I'm less than 100 miles from English Si and there's less than 1 inch on the ground which fell on Saturday night. We've had no further snow since then but it's the cold temperatures that's causing it to remain.
Speed limits limit life

un1

We got our first large snowstorm of the year here, about 4 inches, now he have about 7.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.