News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most out-of-the-way routes between major metro areas?

Started by Buffaboy, August 04, 2017, 01:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nature Boy

Quote from: 1 on August 07, 2017, 07:34:46 AM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 07, 2017, 12:27:09 AM
Can we count Augusta, Maine to Burlington, VT?

You have to take I-295 to I-95 to NH 101 to I-93 to I-89.

Bangor is larger and even further out of the way.

The funny thing is that Bangor is pretty much the same route, just with added I-95 north of Augusta.

Getting from Maine to the rest of Northern New England is a pain in the ass.

codyg1985

Huntsville to Atlanta doesn't have a direct connection. The preferred all four-lane route would be US 72 to I-24 to I-75, but the most direct route involves US 72, AL 35, then two lane AL 40/AL 117/GA 48/US 27/GA 140, then I-75. Slightly more out of the way but more four-lane would be US 72 to AL 35 to AL 9 to GA 20 to I-75.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

WISFreeways

Minot, ND to Amarillo, TX is almost all on country roads (save for a ~20mi stretch of I-90 in SD) due to the underlying horizontal interstate network in the Great Plains.

El Paso, TX to Witchita, KS is another good one. I've noticed that the lack of interstates around there give rise to more out-of-the-way routes. It passes through the Denver-Dallas route at Amarillo.

Portland to Las Vegas requires a lot of backroads out in Oregon and Nevada.
2009-era me chose this generic username...

TXtoNJ

Quote from: sparker on August 04, 2017, 10:57:20 PM
There's a reason why at least part of I-69 makes perfect sense: Houston to anywhere in the Great Lakes portion of the Midwest.  If one were to limit travel to freeways, that city to, say, Chicago -- you'd still need to do an acute-angle trip through Dallas (N 45 to E 30) or the right-angle boogie (E 10/12 to N 55) via Baton Rouge.  It's more than likely that truckers in general are itching to get 69 (& 369, for that matter) done to Shreveport and/or Texarkana just for that purpose.  And if & when the I-57 extension is completed from Little Rock to Sikeston, that'll just be icing on the cake!

Houston to anywhere northeast, really.

GaryV

Milwaukee or Minneapolis to about any metro area in Michigan. 

RobbieL2415

From New York City to Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo you really only have two options:  Thruway (I-87 then I-90) all the way or NY 17/I-86 to:

I-81 (Syracuse)
I-390 (Rochester)
US 219 (Buffalo)

Going through the middle is tedious because of the Catskills.

US 89

Quote from: GaryV on August 09, 2017, 04:36:11 PM

What about the US 10 ferry?

codyg1985

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 09, 2017, 11:03:33 PM
Quote from: GaryV on August 09, 2017, 04:36:11 PM

What about the US 10 ferry?

If you don't mind paying through the nose, then sure.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

I have a cousin who works on that ferry. He lives in Ludington, Mich. (His dad and my dad were first cousins). I need to see about getting a discount through him to ride that ferry sometime.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

ilpt4u

I'm going for Sikeston, MO and Paducah, KY. Just because I can.

No detour to Cairo, IL should be required

Or for the all freeway route, no Northern Detour up to Pulleys Mill, IL should be required -- that is a decent way out of the way

hbelkins

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 10, 2017, 07:11:33 PM
I'm going for Sikeston, MO and Paducah, KY. Just because I can.

No detour to Cairo, IL should be required

Both Paducah and Sikeston thank you for upgrading them to "major metro areas."  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

I want to try Philadelphia to Baltimore. Interstate 76 (Schuykill Expressway, then the Pennsylvania Turnpike) to Interstate 83 just south of Harrisburg, then I-83 through York County, and into Maryland, through Baltimore County and into Baltimore city.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

hotdogPi

Quote from: epzik8 on August 10, 2017, 10:48:11 PM
I want to try Philadelphia to Baltimore. Interstate 76 (Schuykill Expressway, then the Pennsylvania Turnpike) to Interstate 83 just south of Harrisburg, then I-83 through York County, and into Maryland, through Baltimore County and into Baltimore city.

Why doesn't I-95 work?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2017, 08:01:01 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on August 10, 2017, 10:48:11 PM

Why doesn't I-95 work?
I was wondering the same thing. I think the question is for cities that don't have a connection between them. I-95 connects Baltimore and Philly already.

michravera

Quote from: Buffaboy on August 04, 2017, 01:42:39 AM
I made a post under Fictional Highways about Buffalo and Washington being somewhat out of the way, by a freeway.

What other cities/regions would fit this criteria, within reason?

To clarify, if a US/state route is in expressway format, like US 19 in WV, then that doesn't count as out of the way.

It is less than 100 Nautical Miles (less than 115 Statute Miles) flying distance from San Jose International Airport to The Fresno-Yosemite International airport. I know this because you can't use the SJC-FYI leg as your long cross-country flight as required on for your private pilot's license.

The shortest all freeway route from San Jose to Fresno is I-680 north to I-580 east to I-205 east to I-5 north to CASR-120 east to CASR-99 south for a total distance of about 187 miles.

JKRhodes

Define Major... :poke: :poke: :poke:

Lubbock to Midland Tx via the most direct non-interstate routing, US 87 and TX 349, is 117 miles.

Driving strictly interstate highways, there's I-27 to Amarillo, west on I-40 to Albuquerque, down I-25 Las Cruces, on to I-10, and on to Midland for a distance of 971 miles.

The other interstate-only option is I-27 North to I-40 East to Oklahoma City, south to Fort Worth on I-35, then back on I-20 to Midland for a distance of 881 miles.

I believe someone pointed out Las Vegas - Phoenix as part of a larger roadtrip, but for emphasis on the trip between those two particular cities:

Via US 93 and US 60, it's a 298 mile trip.
Taking I-15 to Barstow, to I-40 to Flagstaff, down I-17 to Phoenix, it's 642 miles.
Via 15 - I-215 - I-10 (San Bernadino) it's 549 miles.

Looking over the map of the USA, another glaring example is Fort Wayne, IN to Colombus, OH. I didn't check the mileage though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.